File Submitted: 18 May 2017

File Category: Mods

K1R Compatible: Yes

Bastila Romance Scriptfix
for Kotor 1 (GOG/retail)
by Markus Ramikin
version 1.0

I. Description (SPOILERS)

After you've kissed Bastila, you can have one more conversation with her about it before the romance gets put on hold "until Malak is defeated". In the original game, two later situations have bugs.

First, meeting Bastila on top of the Rakatan Temple:
- if you've had that post-kiss conversation with her, the game will not recognize the romance, and you will miss out on certain dialogue options.

Second, the final conversation with Bastila on the Star Forge has an opposite problem:
- It will fail to recognize the romance if you have NOT done the post-kiss conversation,
- If you've sunk the romance completely, for example by saying "Sorry, Bastila, that starship won't fly", the game will mistakenly give you the romance dialogue option.

Of course the Kotor 1 community has known for years that Bastila's romance is buggy, and several fixes already exist. But, as far as I can tell, they rely on messing with Bastila's dialogue file (rather than scripts), so 1. they don't fix the second situation, and 2. they don't help a player whose savegame is already past that conversation.

This modification fixes both problems by leaving the dialogue file alone, and modifying the scripts instead. It does so by recognizing the following situations:
variable state 12: kissed Bastila = romance active
variable state 13: kissed Bastila and talked afterwards = romance active
variable state 99: romance sunk

Now you will get romance-related dialogue options on Rakata and the Star Forge regardless of whether you've discussed the kiss with her afterwards, but you will not get these options if you've shot her down.

II. Installation

Unzip, copy the files from Override into your game's Override folder.

III. Compatibility

My fix should be compatible with any mod imaginable - except other fixes/modifications to Bastila's romance, IF they also modify the same scripts I do.

K1R, despite including its own Bastila romance fix, doesn't do this, so I'm sure it will work fine with my mod, but I haven't personally tested this. I'd appreciate confirmation.

Compatible with existing saves. You can install while on Rakata or even the Star Forge, and it'll work.

The mod was tested with the GOG version, and I expect it'll work fine with the old retail/CD versions too. No guarantees about the Steam version at all - if it crashes your game, color me unsurprised.
(PSA: Don't get gaming classics from Steam, kids - good old games are the specialty of Good Old Games, duh ;) )

IV. Bugs

None that I know of at this time.

I've tested it by doing one main playthrough, plus some sanity checks with the Kotor Savegame Editor. So I'm confident it works correctly in all possible combinations of romance state, Revan's gender, etc.

In the unlikely case I missed something, though, let me know (and PM me your savegame).

V. Disclaimers and permissions.

The usual stuff applies. The mod is provided as-is and with no guarantees; by installing it, you accept it may melt your computer, cause nuclear war, and hasten the heat death of the Universe.

Distribute freely, as long as you give credit.

Click here to download this file

#2 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

I was  not aware of the Star Forge content requireing the post-kiss scene conversation... Can I include this mod into K1R, or  would you prefer it be kept separate?

If separate, can I link to this mod in the read-me and mod page?

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#3 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Justicar

• TSLRCM Crew
  • 480 posts
  • LocationHoly Terra

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:32 PM

Go ahead, I'm fine with either method.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kotor, Bastila, Bugfix, Fix, romance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users