Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaTheSwordsman

"Feature transfer error" when trying to install TSL

So I recently acquired the PC version of TSL and finally got around to trying to install it.

Note the key word: Trying.

I run into this "feature transfer error" every bloody time, always at the same part.

I have tried setting setup.exe to XP SP2 compatibility and "Run as administrator" as per the "Get the games working on Vista/7" guide. No dice.

Any idea what the heck gives and how to fix or work around it?

EDIT: Since posting this, I have tried Googling solutions for this sort of error.

I have been unable to properly attempt the #1 suggested approach, using Microsoft's Install/Uninstall troubleshooter, because it relies on Scripted Diagnostics Native Host - which is non-functional on my PC and refuses to be fixed. I have tried running SFC, I have tried running CHKDSK, I have tried a clean boot... none of them fixed it. And so the Microsoft troubleshooter is completely useless to me. Is there a freeware 3P program that can do the same job?

Running SFC also did not fix the install issue with TSL

Nor did using CCleaner to repair the registry.

I have not yet attempted:

* Disabling security software

* Installing TSL after a clean boot.

EDIT 2: I have just tried both of the above, no dice.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is it maybe possible to manually unpack the game from the disks directly? Am I better off just giving up and using my dad's ancient Windows XP laptop?

K2_Feature_transfer_error.jpg

Googling "KoTOR II feature transfer error" instead of just "feature transfer error" was much more useful and helped me zero in on what was truly going wrong.

The posts I found about that indicated it was a problem with reading the CD during installation, and suggested manually copying the disc contents to the hard drive might work as a fix.

Testing on both my desktop and my dad's Windows XP laptop confirms that disk 2 is scratched juuuust enough to prevent the computer from fully reading data3.cab, and disk 3 is scratched just enough to prevent fully reading data4.cab. Disks 1 and 4 are fine.

So... Would it be possible for someone with intact CDs to send me data3.cab and data4.cab? Will I have to obtain replacement disks, or else get a different version of the game?

9 hours ago, Vabulletizer said:

@ZeldaTheSwordsmanyup, u can take it right here.

Wow. That's... substantially cheaper than I was expecting. And beats having to deal with Valve.

I'd still like to get the CD version working some day, as I have a preference for physical media and it was a belated birthday gift. But this helps.

7 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

I'd still like to get the CD version working some day, as I have a preference for physical media and it was a belated birthday gift.

Get the digital copy for now.  The person that bought it for you is never going to know the difference, right?

Later you can haunt eBay and your local shops that sell used PC games for replacement discs for your set.  (Don't forget to search for PC game lots in addition to the game by itself.)

Alternatively, you could acquire a kit (such as these) to deal with the imperfections of the discs you have but that's no guarantee that it will suffice in your situation.

24 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Get the digital copy for now.  The person that bought it for you is never going to know the difference, right?

Later you can haunt eBay and your local shops that sell used PC games for replacement discs for your set.  (Don't forget to search for PC game lots in addition to the game by itself.)

Alternatively, you could acquire a kit (such as these) to deal with the imperfections of the discs you have but that's no guarantee that it will suffice in your situation.

I already did get it. "Just under $4" was too good a price to pass up.

The person who got the game for me, my brother, is aware of the issue I had. At this point I'm honestly debating whether to try getting the CD version working, or to ask him if he can return it to get his money back because with the GOG version having been that cheap... I feel bad about having asked him to get it as a present in the first place, especially since he went to a costlier source than eBay in hopes of quality assurance....

6 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

I already did get it. "Just under $4" was too good a price to pass up.

The person who got the game for me, my brother, is aware of the issue I had. At this point I'm honestly debating whether to try getting the CD version working, or to ask him if he can return it to get his money back because with the GOG version having been that cheap... I feel bad about having asked him to get it as a present in the first place, especially since he went to a costlier source than eBay in hopes of quality assurance....

Are these copies of the original game released in 2004? Because I don't think the update released by Aspyr was released on disc.

Bugs are reason enough to avoid the original game, in addition to missing technical enhancements such as 1080p resolution.

• Dark Side Points 1

3 hours ago, AmanoJyaku said:

Are these copies of the original game released in 2004? Because I don't think the update released by Aspyr was released on disc.

Bugs are reason enough to avoid the original game, in addition to missing technical enhancements such as 1080p resolution.

1a. Yes, this is the original 4-CD version, something that should have been obvious from reading the thread because no other release of the game has 4 discs.
1b. The PC version was actually released in 2005. Only the Xbox version came out in 2004 (something that proved very unfortunate for the game).

2a. Actually, the update released by Aspyr was presumably baked into the Collection release, hence that running out of the box.
2b. The Aspyr update - which was originally made as a patch for the original release - has nothing to do with installation anyway. Only bugfixes and compatibility for an installed game

3a. Wow, way to dismiss the patches both official and fanmade that take care of a lot of those bugs (a number of which are still present in the digital versions of vanilla TSL anyway, if what I've seen on these boards is anything to go by)
3b. The "feature transfer error" I experienced isn't even actually a bug per se in the first place. As pointed out by the second post in this thread, it's caused by disc scratching. A problem that can affect any game released on optical disc, whether it was released 28 years ago or came out yesterday.

• Dark Side Points 1

If I'm not mistaken, aspyr patch only include in steam version of the game, retail versions only can be 1.0(4cd) and 1.0b/1.02b(dvd).

• Light Side Points 1

1 hour ago, Vabulletizer said:

If I'm not mistaken, aspyr patch only include in steam version of the game, retail versions only can be 1.0(4cd) and 1.0b/1.02b(dvd).

This is correct, you can’t upgrade the original release. Aspyr used to offer Steam keys for the new version if you sent them proof that you owned the original, but I imagine five years later the offer’s no longer on the table.

• Light Side Points 2

5 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

1a. Yes, this is the original 4-CD version, something that should have been obvious from reading the thread because no other release of the game has 4 discs.
1b. The PC version was actually released in 2005. Only the Xbox version came out in 2004 (something that proved very unfortunate for the game).

It wasn't obvious to me because I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would want to play a version that is inferior. So, I just assumed the Aspyr version was released on disc at some point. But you confirmed that never happened, so you want to play the inferior version.

5 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

2a. Actually, the update released by Aspyr was presumably baked into the Collection release, hence that running out of the box.
2b. The Aspyr update - which was originally made as a patch for the original release - has nothing to do with installation anyway. Only bugfixes and compatibility for an installed game

Never heard of the Collection release. What is it?

As for the Aspyr update, I mentioned it specifically because you wouldn't need to recover files from scratched CDs. The digital copy would also bring you the most bug fixes and compatibility, so it's the superior option in almost every way.

6 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

3a. Wow, way to dismiss the patches both official and fanmade that take care of a lot of those bugs (a number of which are still present in the digital versions of vanilla TSL anyway, if what I've seen on these boards is anything to go by)

3b. The "feature transfer error" I experienced isn't even actually a bug per se in the first place. As pointed out by the second post in this thread, it's caused by disc scratching. A problem that can affect any game released on optical disc, whether it was released 28 years ago or came out yesterday.

I'm not dismissing anything. You aren't getting any patches for the official CDs from a trustworthy source. The only source was through the LucasArts downloader that has long since stopped functioning. Which leaves fan patches and mods. Except, even those are often designed to work with specific versions of the games. What I was attempting to do was encourage you to use a version that is less likely to have compatibility issues with a modern OS (e.g. Win10) and mods (e.g. TSLRCM).

Regarding bugs, I was referring to those still in the original game even after the last official patch. I have perfect original CDs of KoTOR and TSL, and yet I purchased digital copies rather than spend time searching down all of the fan-made patches. Why? Because the Aspyr versions have fewer bugs and tweaks for modern hardware. I know, I've tried patches and mods with varying degrees of failure. ("Flawless" Widescreen...)

It's your computer, feel free to do whatever makes you happy. Just try not to crap on people when you ask for help, because next time they won't.

• Dark Side Points 1

6 hours ago, Vabulletizer said:

Ah, my mistake. I was assuming that the Aspyr patch was the same thing as the 1.0b patch

37 minutes ago, AmanoJyaku said:

It wasn't obvious to me because I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would want to play a version that is inferior. So, I just assumed the Aspyr version was released on disc at some point. But you confirmed that never happened, so you want to play the inferior version.

Never heard of the Collection release. What is it?

As for the Aspyr update, I mentioned it specifically because you wouldn't need to recover files from scratched CDs. The digital copy would also bring you the most bug fixes and compatibility, so it's the superior option in almost every way.

I'm not dismissing anything. You aren't getting any patches for the official CDs from a trustworthy source. The only source was through the LucasArts downloader that has long since stopped functioning. Which leaves fan patches and mods. Except, even those are often designed to work with specific versions of the games. What I was attempting to do was encourage you to use a version that is less likely to have compatibility issues with a modern OS (e.g. Win10) and mods (e.g. TSLRCM).

Regarding bugs, I was referring to those still in the original game even after the last official patch. I have perfect original CDs of KoTOR and TSL, and yet I purchased digital copies rather than spend time searching down all of the fan-made patches. Why? Because the Aspyr versions have fewer bugs and tweaks for modern hardware. I know, I've tried patches and mods with varying degrees of failure. ("Flawless" Widescreen...)

It's your computer, feel free to do whatever makes you happy. Just try not to crap on people when you ask for help, because next time they won't.

1. Thank you for confirming beyond all doubt that you're an annoying, time-wasting snob who only skimmed the thread, and ignored not only my stated reasons for wanting to get the CD version to work (see post #4) and what the actual problem I'm having with the CD version was, but also the fact that I had already bought the GOG version AND SAID AS MUCH well before you posted.

2. The Collection release is a 2012 rerelease of KotOR games on DVD, pre-patched to work on modern computers.

3. "You aren't getting any patches for the official CDs from a trustworthy source". I'm going to let Luke Skywalker speak for me here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

The official patch not only CONTINUES TO BE OFFICIALLY HOSTED TO THIS DAY (https://support.starwars.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000716323-Where-do-I-find-the-latest-patch-for-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-Lords- being the current link) - with the official hosting link being posted in Sith_Holocron's "Get Kotor 1/2 working on Vista and Windows 7" thread and updated as needed - but also has a backup hosting here on DeadlyStream.
"What I was attempting to do was encourage you to use a version that is less likely to have compatibility issues with a modern OS (e.g. Win10) and mods (e.g. TSLRCM)." Well, what you were actually doing was completely ignoring the fact that I had already bought a digital version (the Good Old Games one), my stated reasons for still wanting to get the CD version up and running, AND the actual problem I was having with the CD version.

4. Regarding bugs, by talking about bugs you were completely ignoring the both actual problem I was having and the fact that the digital versions still suffer anyway.

5. Being an ignorant thread-skimming snob-shill isn't helpful.

• Dark Side Points 1

10 hours ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

Ah, my mistake. I was assuming that the Aspyr patch was the same thing as the 1.0b patch

1. Thank you for confirming beyond all doubt that you're an annoying, time-wasting snob who only skimmed the thread, and ignored not only my stated reasons for wanting to get the CD version to work (see post #4) and what the actual problem I'm having with the CD version was, but also the fact that I had already bought the GOG version AND SAID AS MUCH well before you posted.

2. The Collection release is a 2012 rerelease of KotOR games on DVD, pre-patched to work on modern computers.

3. "You aren't getting any patches for the official CDs from a trustworthy source". I'm going to let Luke Skywalker speak for me here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

The official patch not only CONTINUES TO BE OFFICIALLY HOSTED TO THIS DAY (https://support.starwars.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000716323-Where-do-I-find-the-latest-patch-for-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-Lords- being the current link) - with the official hosting link being posted in Sith_Holocron's "Get Kotor 1/2 working on Vista and Windows 7" thread and updated as needed - but also has a backup hosting here on DeadlyStream.
"What I was attempting to do was encourage you to use a version that is less likely to have compatibility issues with a modern OS (e.g. Win10) and mods (e.g. TSLRCM)." Well, what you were actually doing was completely ignoring the fact that I had already bought a digital version (the Good Old Games one), my stated reasons for still wanting to get the CD version up and running, AND the actual problem I was having with the CD version.

4. Regarding bugs, by talking about bugs you were completely ignoring the both actual problem I was having and the fact that the digital versions still suffer anyway.

5. Being an ignorant thread-skimming snob-shill isn't helpful.

You may want to reread the thread. I answered before you purchased the digital copy. You replied with hostility for no reason.

And then you did as I suggested and purchased the digital copy. "Not helpful, not helpful at all."

But don't worry, I won't be replying to you on this or any other topic. Based on your other posts and reactions you're quite difficult.

• Dark Side Points 1

1 hour ago, AmanoJyaku said:

You may want to reread the thread. I answered before you purchased the digital copy. You replied with hostility for no reason.

And then you did as I suggested and purchased the digital copy. "Not helpful, not helpful at all."

But don't worry, I won't be replying to you on this or any other topic. Based on your other posts and reactions you're quite difficult.

1. You claim you answered before I purchased the digital copy? You're the one who needs to reread the thread. Or perhaps,  actually read the thread for real to begin with instead of skimming.

Let's see...
Post #1: My initial post about the issue
Post #2: My followup where I discovered the true cause was damaged CDs, and which should have made it obvious to you from the start that I was dealing with the original 4-CD version
Post #3: Vabulletizer suggests I get the GOG digital version. Not you, Vabulletizer.
Post #4: I respond with surprise at how cheap it is, and express my hopes to get the CD version working some day (due to it being a gift, and due to my preference for physical media)
Post #5: Sith Holocron seconds Vabulletizer's recommendation.
Post #6: I respond to Sith Holocron saying I already did get the GOG digital copy.
Post #7: You come butting in seven hours and nine minutes after that post, asking a question that the second post of the thread should have already answered (which strongly suggested you didn't actually bother to properly read the thread, immediately giving me cause to be irritated with you) and making a remark that suggested you to be a graphics snob (not exactly damning in itself, but it certainly rubbed me the wrong way).

Your posts after that, up to and including this latest one (in which you act like you were the one who originally suggested getting the digital copy), only continue to reinforce the impression that you only skimmed the thread and solidly confirmed you to be an abrasive snob. You also demonstrated a galling ignorance of the compatibility thread stickied in this very forum.

2. Completely and totally unhelpful, because I already did it before you ever posted in this thread, and you were a complete snob about it.

3. I'm quite difficult? Hello pot, this is kettle calling.

Edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman

Amano and Zelda, that sort of attitude towards each other is unnecessary - please refrain from such hostility and keep things civil in the future

At any rate, OP has requested this thread be locked, and so I'll be doing just that

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1