CarthOnasty

While Keeping the Original Model, Reskin So No Textures Repeat?

When playing around with modding K1, I've noticed a lot of parts of skins are repeated on the model. Here's a example I noticed with the star maps:

IPSNj4I.jpgxnkJ1xX.jpg

Am I able to keep the original model, though create a new skin (that in this example) would be unique for each arm of the star map? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

No, that's not possible with textures only.

You'd have to extract and decompile the model, load it into 3ds Max, change the UVW map, export, compile again and then you could texture it the way you want it to. Certainly possible but not when using only textures.

Gracious, much more than I anticipated, but I'm not surprised. Would this be where I create the ascii version of the mdl file? Could this be done in Blender or Maya or is 3ds Max the best way to approach this? Thanks for the feedback!

You'd create the ASCII using mdledit or the latest mdlops. Both can be found here in the downloads section. Then you'd have to import these ASCII models into your actual modeling software. The best choice here is 3ds Max as that's the only software with a recent KOTOR plugin that's necessary to import the ASCII model with all its features. That plugin is called KOTORMax and can also be found in the downloads section. There is a similar plugin for Blender, but I forgot its name and AFAIK it's a little older and will most likely support less model features. For Maya there's no such plugin if I'm not completely mistaken.

I've separated out an .mdl with mdlops (just to see what textures a model uses). I'm on a Mac, so I'll see if I can't run it via Wineskin or Parallels. I may just be getting ahead of myself though and should maybe make a basic reskin to start. :P

Thanks for ALL of the info, I really appreciate it!