Sign in to follow this  
Allon

Should .exe Mods be Installed First or Last?

Running on a Mac, GoG version.  Used to Wineskin and modding.

When installing mods, is it best to first run the mods with a .exe file that use the TSL patcher, or manual mods that go directly into override?

In the past, I did all the .exe mods first, then the manual ones, saving the simplest for last.

That's usually the correct of doing installations, yes as manual installation mods usually only replace textures or something similar and thus should be installed after the more complicated mods to ensure that they don't replace their files.

However, if you have one (or a very small number) of more complex mods (e.g. 2da edits or utc edits) that do not use TSLPatcher simply because it didn't exist at the time, you may want to install those first so that your installer mods can patch the files from these mods.

For most of the .exe mods I have come across ( most of which have been updated textures ) I usually install / extract them to a seperate folder, however with TSLRCM & M4-78EP I installed them first and then installed everything else which has no doubt caused some problems, I am currently learning to mod KotoR / TSL & I am looking into combining galaxymap files that make certain mods work together.

Such as M4-78EP & the Coruscant mod as I believe they all replace the galaxymap_p.gui files, the animated textures also replace the galaxymap_p.gui file I think. So I will be looking into making many of these mods work together, I am also writing up a little guide for myself for my ultimate install of TSL that I may or may not share on here with links to all the mods I use, but I am more interested in making some mods with new areas.

Thor110