Sign in to follow this  
dg1995

EA shuts down Visceral. Their Star Wars game to be revamped.

But yeah, considering they cancelled KOTOR3, Republic Commando 2 and the original Battlefront 3, they royally screwed themselves over. As you said, the players got crappy games like TFU and Kinect. KOTOR3 actually existed in pre-production at Obsidian for a time before it got pulled, as the article states below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-31-fear-is-the-path-to-the-dark-side

Sorry for double posting, but weren't Lucasarts themselves supposed to make kotor 3 ? (According to rogue leaders:The story of Lucasarts book)

Out of curiosity, when did Electronic Arts begin its less savory business practices?

That depends on who you talk to, I'm sure. :)

As for me, I noticed problems around the time of Mass Effect 3 (which is one of the few EA titles I've played at the moment). There were several public relations problems that hurt EA, most noticeably the original ending of ME3. Good god, there was so much backlash from the players  about that ending.

There was also the matter of the infamous day one DLC that dropped at the game's release date (From Ashes DLC). What was BS about that instance was the fact that Javik, the DLC's main character and squad member had his character models and dialogue files in the base game, but the main mission files were still locked out and inaccessible without the DLC pack.

They were sure great! It almost makes me sad when I look at back at how awesome SW games use to be until Lucasarts ruined everything. When the next generation of consoles came out, something changed for Lucasarts, and the quality of their games from that point on really show, I think.

That article makes me sad. KOTOR 3 by Obsidian would have been epic, but thanks to Lucasarts, we'll never get to experience that, because we all know EA will never allow that.

Interesting. I remember hearing something about a "combat upgrade" that supposedly ruined it, but that's all I know.

Here's really good article that explains Lucasarts tragic downfall for anyone interested.     http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/12/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

Just because we seem to be sharing more depressing Game Journalist articles, here's what happened when Disney actually took over. https://kotaku.com/the-last-months-of-lucasarts-472038151

I'm starting to get the feeling that anything related to Star Wars has such a dramatic backstory since on one hand, creating things for the IP is amazing, yet there is so much bad blood in the development and publishing side of it.

For the record, the Star Wars novelists weren't any friendlier with each other.

• Like 2

Well, I myself didn't play Galaxies. but from some fans in the forums I have heard that originally Star Wars Galaxies was a sandbox mmo game where you have the choice to choose between more than 20 professions(For example bounty hunter,dancer,farmer,doctor,weapon merchant etc) which people loved in it.

For that combat upgrade I don't know what it did but no one really liked that update.

Wow(World of warcraft) released in 2004(which was a theme park mmo game) and managed to dominate every mmo game. Then Lucasarts decided to add a new update with the name of NGE(New game enhancement) to turn it into a wow clone. Unfortunately that NGE update ruined that game for original fans.

By the way if you want to play Galaxies there is a dedicated community that are making pre cu(Combat Upgrade) servers for it. You just need to get a copy of that game from somewhere:

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

By the way why do you guys hate Force Unleashed that much ? It was a promising franchise that could become great with the second game.(Some franchises need a sequel to hit home run like Tekken which the first game wasn't that great)

Unfortunately it failed at that due to this fact that the second game was rushed.(Only one year development time)

Interesting. Thanks. 

As for TFU, personally I did not like Starkiller very much or his role in creating the Rebellion. Though my biggest problem was Starkiller beating the Emperor in a fight. To me that's completely illogical to have The Emperor beaten by a borderline emo punk.

Just like how they did KOTOR 2. Though KOTOR 2 is definitely in better than TFU 2.   

Sorry for double posting, but weren't Lucasarts themselves supposed to make kotor 3 ? (According to rogue leaders:The story of Lucasarts book)

And a brand new character.  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naresha

Here's the main page for it. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_3

I would have preferred Obsidian been the ones to make it, though I suppose Lucasarts would have been fine because at least we would have it.  

• Like 1

Just because we seem to be sharing more depressing Game Journalist articles, here's what happened when Disney actually took over. https://kotaku.com/the-last-months-of-lucasarts-472038151

I'm starting to get the feeling that anything related to Star Wars has such a dramatic backstory since on one hand, creating things for the IP is amazing, yet there is so much bad blood in the development and publishing side of it.

For the record, the Star Wars novelists weren't any friendlier with each other.

Really? The novelists didn't get along?

Really? The novelists didn't get along?

I suppose I should rescind that statement..

There was only one big conflict I could find mostly centering around author Karen Traviss and Timothy Zahn in killing off his character, Mara Jade without his permission and was even being kept in the dark by Del Rey about the decision.

Apparently Traviss had "creative differences" with the rest of the authors, so maybe it was just friction between her and everyone else.

However, there is surpringly little about what went on between the publishing firm "Lucasbooks" and its authors possibly due to how games tend to get more publicity, so I can only speculate beyond that.

By the way why do you guys hate Force Unleashed that much ? It was a promising franchise that could become great with the second game.(Some franchises need a sequel to hit home run like Tekken which the first game wasn't that great)

Unfortunately it failed at that due to this fact that the second game was rushed.(Only one year development time)

I don't hate TFU, they're just not a good games for me.

First one was BORING gameplay-wise (lightsaber combat even in the first Jedi Knight was much more entertaining). Story was fine, IMO.

Second game had better, much more dynamic combat, but the story is awfull.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, when did Electronic Arts begin its less savory business practices?

Well they actually begin it in mid/late 90s when they ruined the Ultima franchise.(I think the last Ultima game was too buggy that it shut down the original developer of that franchise)

• Like 1