L0ki194

Increasing The Size of K1's Menu Screens?

One of the main gripes I have with K1 is while you're playing at a higher screen resolution (say 1080p or higher, for example), the menu screens are still locked into a small 800x600 window with a border around it, unlike in TSL where the menus scale to your currently selected resolution...

I don't know if it's even possible, but is there any way to make it so K1's Menus scale in a similar fashion as TSL's Menus?

It's definetly not easy and might even be hardcoded.

IIRC someone has been playing around with that. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Found it!

ndix UR found a way to rescale the GUI to be bigger but it seems like there were issues with it that never got resolved.

• Like 1

Well that's a shame, although reading these posts is interesting... sounds like it might actually be possible.

It's something that needs to be a modding priority if you ask me. Not much else matters when the game is unplayable, not unplayable for fanatics of course, but I've seen many a modern gamer turned away from KOTOR due to this.

I'm personally not much bothered by it. I mean, of course it would be a great thing to have and good luck to anyone that tries it! But, it's not like you can't see the letters and content clearly enough. To be honest, if I had to choose, I'd go with new and exciting content over a fix like this.

• Like 2

I'm personally not much bothered by it. I mean, of course it would be a great thing to have and good luck to anyone that tries it! But, it's not like you can't see the letters and content clearly enough. To be honest, if I had to choose, I'd go with new and exciting content over a fix like this.

I'd rather have a fix tbh, there's enough mods for K1 to pretty much cover every aspect of the game if you ask me.

It'll never be as good as K2 without a tonal change and quite a few things, so I'd prefer fixes.

Ok, so after reading the other thread about this, I tried my hand at K-GFF editor (which I have never used) to resize the main menu. My Monitor's resolution is 1360x768, and I did successfully scale the background to that, but I have no idea how to go about adjusting the menu UI prompts. For a quick test I did fiddle around with multiplying the values of the 'width' and 'height' for each UI element by a certain amount (if you're curious, I divided 1360 by 640 and 768 by 480 to get said values to multiply by), but nothing else. Again, I've never even touched K-GFF editor before, so I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I really want to try and get this working...

60KtAZ0.jpg

Ok, so after reading the other thread about this, I tried my hand at K-GFF editor (which I have never used) to resize the main menu. My Monitor's resolution is 1360x768, and I did successfully scale the background to that, but I have no idea how to go about adjusting the menu UI prompts. For a quick test I did fiddle around with multiplying the values of the 'width' and 'height' for each UI element by a certain amount (if you're curious, I divided 1360 by 640 and 768 by 480 to get said values to multiply by), but nothing else. Again, I've never even touched K-GFF editor before, so I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I really want to try and get this working...

60KtAZ0.jpg

"If you do not find a way. No one will."

I managed to do this on a few of the menus, but the issue that had me stop was that no matter which way I adjusted the values, the game would apply an offset to the clickable locations for triggering buttons. At one point, I had to be a quarter-inch or better diagonally-upper-left of where the button was to be able to click on it... I imagine this could be due to aspect ratio, but I don't know for sure.

You can modify the GUI files to make the interface properly fit a widescreen display, but the position of certain elements are hardcoded in the EXE, which means that things like buttons will end up in the middle of the screen. The only way to fix it is to hex edit the EXE and change those hardcoded values to suit your specific resolution.

You can modify the GUI files to make the interface properly fit a widescreen display, but the position of certain elements are hardcoded in the EXE, which means that things like buttons will end up in the middle of the screen. The only way to fix it is to hex edit the EXE and change those hardcoded values to suit your specific resolution.

So, similar to getting the movies to be set to a specific widescreen resolution then? 

More or less, yeah. I only know of it second-hand though. The true font of dark knowledge is reticent to emerge from the shadows to speak of such things publicly, lest it draw the ire of the moderators/admins.

More or less, yeah. I only know of it second-hand though. The true font of dark knowledge is reticent to emerge from the shadows to speak of such things publicly, lest it draw the ire of the moderators/admins.

But essentially the only way to fix this problem is to create a set of new .exe files for each new resolution, seems simple enough in concept though. 

No, you would create a patcher that would edit the appropriate values for a given resolution, like UniWS does.

So who's willing to?  :P

Patching an EXE is fine. All widescreen discussions would be off limits otherwise. What isn't fine is removing/bypassing DRM, or redistributing the EXEs. The EXE for the GOG version has no protection, in line with their no DRM policy, so there would be no issue creating a standalone patching program in the same vein as UniWS to patch the appropriate offsets to match a user-specified resolution.

• Like 2