N-DReW25

Making New Sound sets [TSL]

I am attempting to make new sounds sets for Kotor 2 but I am not quite sure I am doing it right. Can I make new soundsets or is it impossible to do this?

It's very possible, for reference see Female Mandalorians by Inyri Forge.

Also, the tslpatcher has specific instructions regarding soundset. IIRC there's a 2da attached to it, and a specific folder in TSL for storing the new audio files associated with the new soundset.

It's a bit complicated, but possible. I didn't worked with them for a long time, here's what I remember (note: everything about file paths or formats will work for NON-Steam version; I don't know if it will work with Aspyr patch)

1) Prepare your sound files (IIRC, 16 bit mono uncompressed WAVE), put them to X:\your_path_to_the_game\SWKotOR2\StreamSounds.

2) Now you need to add new line for EACH new sound to dialog.tlk. In the text field you may type anything, it won't be seen in-game. In the Sound Resref field type filename of your sound without extension (so, if file called "soud1.wav" type "sound1"). Remember row numbers for your new lines.

3) Open KotOR_tool SSF editor, click File->New. You will see the list of events for which sounds should play (like "Battlecry 1" or "Pain Grunt 1"). Next to the name of event you will see an editable field with "-1" in it. Here you need to type row number of your new line from dialog.tlk. If you have done everything right, you'll see name of your sound file and whatever you typed in "text" field of dialog.tlk in next two fields. Fill everything you need (if you don't want to use some events, leave them with "-1"), and save your new *.ssf file.

4) Final step. Open soundset.2da, add new row. In the "label" field type the name of your new soundset (like "MyOwnSoundset"), in "resref" - name of you *.ssf file without extension, in "gender" filed type 0 for male soundset and 1 for female one. In "strref" and "type" fields write ****. Save your changes.

5) Congratulations! Now you should be able to set you new soundset for characters.

Sorry for my English, I hope I explained everything clear.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

1) Prepare your sound files (IIRC, 16 bit mono uncompressed WAVE), put them to X:\your_path_to_the_game\SWKotOR2\StreamSounds.

Can an mp3 file work as well? (Reason I ask is because I own the Steam version of TSL and the Steam version doesn't't support custom Wav files?)

Can an mp3 file work as well? (Reason I ask is because I own the Steam version of TSL and the Steam version doesn't't support custom Wav files?)

mp3's never worked for me in non-Steam versions. I don't know if Aspyr changed anything about it, you'll have to find out yourself.