maltron66

Need help on editing vitality points

I've started a little mod for TSL that edits all the party members' template (.utc) files. So far I've successfully found how to add feats, force powers, attributes, skills and starting vitality points. But I seem to have a problem editing the amount of vitality points a party member gains per level up.

After testing my party members individually, I've gathered that not all characters earn the same amount of vitality points when they level up. For example, HK, Canderous and Brie earn 13 points per level up, Mira, Kreia and Visas earn 9 points, Atton and Bao-Dur earn 8 points and so on. My question is: how do I change this amount? I tried to find something related with that in the characters' templates, but I found nothing, so now I'm taking a wild guess that this is controlled by a .2da file that contains all classes and the amount of vitality points each class earns per level up. Thing is, I extracted and tested 37 different .2da files, but didn't have any more luck than I had while I searched for clues in the .utc files.

So, does anyone know which .2da file it is? Or is it something completely different? Can someone help?

It has to do with both class and constitution modifiers (and then by Toughness feats). So even if you went in to KSE to edit your HP, the game would just set it back to what it's supposed to be. Same for your Force points

In the classes.2da, there is a column called hitdie. This determines the base health gain per level for that class. You also gain +1 HP per point of your Constitution Modifier (so a 16 or 17 CON is a +3 each level up).

These values are calculated from the level, feats (The Toughness feat), and the CON modifier whenever the data is loaded in. This is the main reason why the KotOR Save Editor's read-me has this warning:

"*=Note: Max Hit Points and Max Force Points, while editable appear to be calculated
at the time the savegame is loaded.  Therefore while these fields are editable, the
game will change the values back to what it calculates as correct.  It is therefore
better to change your Wis/Cha and Con to affect your MFP and MHP."

Wow, I didn't expect such a fast reply, let alone from 3 different people! I was afraid this place might be dead, I'm very happy to be proven wrong!:)

SyperSzym: That's gotta be right: Soldiers and Combat Droids gain the same amount (the HK-47/Mandalore/Handmaiden example), so there must be a connection. But that's not the point. The point is: how do I modify these amounts?

Goat: I'm aware of that, but like I said, I'm editing the utc files using the K-GFF editor. I'm not editing save files with KSE. Believe me, I've already tried that...

HOWEVER... I must report that the HP can actually be changed through the KSE, but the problem is that: 1) It only works when it wants to and 2) You have no control over the final amount of HP of your character.

Let me explain myself: I once tried to change HK's HP during a walkthrough, just as I had made it in the HK factory. I think HK's current HP was something like 890 points and I wanted to cut it down a bit. So I used the KSE and changed the HP value to 0. After I loaded that save, I noticed that HK's max health had decreased to 860-something. It was nowhere near the amount I wanted, but it was a sign of progress, so I kept decreasing the HP in the KSE. Unfortunately, HK's health in the game would not go down anymore, even though I had started using negative values in KSE. I finally gave up at the point when I set HK's value in KSE to a 8 digit negative number in a desperate attempt to bring HK's health down, only for the HP to increase to a monstrous amount of 11000 HP.

That was a little boring and off-topic, I know, but it shows that a character's HP can be edited through KSE, except you can't set it to the amount you desire and it also doesn't work 99.9% of the time. :D

But again, I'm not editing the save files, Im editing the utc's, so none of that really matters. I can control how much HP each party member has when they join, I'm just looking for a way to edit the amount of HP they earn per level up. But I guess you already know that. ;)

And finally, Fair Strides:

The "hitdie" column? Didn't cross my mind-I examined the classes.2da file but didn't really pay that much attention to that specific column, I thought it has nothing to do with it. But now that I think of it, it might be exactly what I'm looking for: The column that determines the HP earned per level up should be tied to the classes file! Let me check that out and I'll get back to you.

Oh, did I say "thank you"? No? Here, let me say a big "THANK YOU" for bothering with a noob like me... Thanks to SS and Goat for their feedback as well! Cheers! xD

• Like 1

SS? I'm not too fond of this shortcut. It makes me feel like a Nazi.

You're welcome, especially considering the fact I'm a bigger noob than that. The only .2das I ever messed with are appearance.2da and heads.2da.

Oh, right. My bad. It didn't even cross my mind. Proof that I'm a bigger noob than you. ;)

THAT'S IT! The "hitdie" column in the classes.2da file was PRECISELY what I was looking for! And whadaya know, there's also a column named "forcedie", which controls the amount of force points a character gains per level up. After an hour and a half of testing, I managed to change the original values so that each character earns exactly as much force and vitality points as I planned for my mod! Fair Strides, sir, you've earned your rightful place in the "mentions" section in the readme file of my mod! Thanks again!

As do the other people that tried to help you. :)

And if you want a bit of unnecessary info, I can explain the origin of the hitdie and forcedie. In Dungeons and Dragons, you'd have a hitdie, as in standard real-world dice. This was dependent on your class, but the way it'd work is like so:

At level-up, take a die with as many sides as your class's hitdie (like 10 would be a 10-sided die) and roll it. You could get anywhere from 1 to , and then you'd add your CON modifier to that number. Thus it was decided how much health you gained at that level-up.

Huh. Kind of humourous when you think about how many gameplay mechanics in Kotor are decided by dice, when it all comes down to it

• Like 1

Huh. Kind of humourous when you think about how many gameplay mechanics in Kotor are decided by dice, when it all comes down to it

Well it is a D20 system... :P In reality, everything in the game mechanics is dice. Spells, damage, ability to hit, .etc; even your skill usage:

Stealth of 7. Roll a D20, get an 8. 8 + Stealth of 7 = 15 vs. D20 of 10 + Awareness of 4 = 14; you don't get detected.

It's almost like the whole game is run by dice rolling! :P

It's almost like the whole game is run by dice rolling! :P

Or that it was adapted from a game built from a tabletop campaign. ;)