Purifier

Kotor Scripting Tool v0.1.3.1 trouble.

Has anybody ever had a problem starting up this program on their computer before?

Kotor Scripting Tool v0.1.3.1

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/191-kotor-scripting-tool/

I wanted to use it to try and decompile a custom NCS script, but the darn thing won't even get past it's "Kotor Script Editor" logo screen before popping up the typical Windows "Kotor Scripting Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." thingy and then I have to shut it down.

I swear I came across this same problem before, years ago, with an earlier version of this program.

I've installed it twice to make sure it wasn't a first time bad install and it still does it. I do have the dotNetFx4.0 installed as required, but I'm beginning to wonder if the author wrote the program with a earlier or later version instead and just mistakenly thought he was using 4.0. But surely not?

The only other thing I can think of is that it's not for old rig like mine that runs Windows XP and instead the author designed it to run on Win 7 only.

So any ideas what could be possibly wrong or has anybody ever had this problem as well?

You have .NET framework installed? I assume 3.5 is probably as high as you can go on XP, but that should be sufficient. Typically it should pop up a warning though if that is the issue, not just crash.

• Like 1

You have .NET framework installed? 

Sure do, DP. From 2.0 all through up to 4.0 NET framework.

I assume 3.5 is probably as high as you can go on XP, but that should be sufficient. Typically it should pop up a warning though if that is the issue, not just crash.

Yeah see, I thought that as well and even tried it only with the 3.5 Net framework just for giggles. And it did exactly as you might expect, clicked on the program's exe and it immediately popped up a warning saying I need the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.1

So I installed the 4.0 version as the author recommended, which I guess it installed fine without any problems and then I tried the KSTool's exe again and that time around it would start up, but then crashed like 5 seconds later.

Could be that Win XP doesn't like Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and maybe that in turn is causing the problem with the crashing of the KSTool program? Hell I really don't know though, I'm stumped.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, DP. Much appreciate that. ;)  

Hrm, it does require 4.0. I'm kind of surprised actually, I was expecting only 3/3.5, which is more common for programs of that vintage.

XP does actually support 4.0, although that is the last version it does. 4.5 requires Vista and up. But that should be sufficient.

Can't really think of much in the way of options. You could try uninstalling 4.0 and running the full offline installer - http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/A/95A9616B-7A37-4AF6-BC36-D6EA96C8DAAE/dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

By the way, somewhat off-topic, but I would seriously recommend migrating away from XP ASAP. You should not be exposing an XP box to the internet in this day and age, it is full of security holes.

• Like 1

Hrm, it does require 4.0. I'm kind of surprised actually, I was expecting only 3/3.5, which is more common for programs of that vintage.

XP does actually support 4.0, although that is the last version it does. 4.5 requires Vista and up. But that should be sufficient.

Can't really think of much in the way of options. You could try uninstalling 4.0 and running the full offline installer - http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/A/95A9616B-7A37-4AF6-BC36-D6EA96C8DAAE/dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

Well still no progress, DP. I download the full offline installer from your link, uninstalled what I had and installed the full offline installer, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Same problem as before. But thanks for the link and suggestion, though. I appreciate that. 

But yeah me too, I don't know what other options I could use as work-a-round myself, except I do have the old compiling\decompiling precursor script stuff that was meant to work with Fred Tetra's Kotor Tool that I downloaded from the old StarWarsKnights.com page from back in the day. For instance, say like;  JdNoa and Dashus DeNCS decompiler for TSL only and I also have Fred Tetra's nwnnsscomp1.03 for his Kotor tool.

But I've tried using all that old compiler\decompiler stuff in the past and could never get it all to work for me. Always had trouble with those. And I heard from others over the years, that a lot of it only worked half the time as far as decompiling NCS scripts goes.

Anyway, I highly suspect that it's a compatibility issue between Win XP and the KS Tool and probably the only way to solve this particular problem to keep the KS Tool from crashing, is to have it installed on a Win 7 operating system. Unfortunately right now I don't have the funds to go out and buy a Win 7 desktop computer or have a computer with Win 7 around to test that out.

By the way, somewhat off-topic, but I would seriously recommend migrating away from XP ASAP. You should not be exposing an XP box to the internet in this day and age, it is full of security holes.

Oh man, totally agree with ya about that. And I wish I could right now, but like I mentioned before, been strapped for cash these days and that's a luxury I can't afford to upgrade to right now. But I did have a laptop with Win 7 on it at one time, but that sucker got dropped one too many times (my daughter was careless with it at times) and so it completely stopped working one day. Never could get it to boot up or nothing anymore, like the harddrive went out in it or something. So anyway, I had to resort back to using my old trusty Win Xp desktop rig and have been ever since that happened. But hey, thanks for the advice though and I completely agree with you about that. ;)

Well no I'm using the CD installed versions for both K1 and K2. I've never used any Steam installed versions. 

But I didn't know it did a registry check to see if I had the games. Sounds like it does the same thing as the Kotor tool does to check and see if I have the games? 

BTW, is this KS Tool a standalone program? I mean it doesn't need to be associated in anyway with the Kotor tool, right?

It uses the nwscript.nss from the game override folder, although it seems it does come prebundled with existing copies. However, I tried it on an XP box without the games installed and it crashed at the splashscreen like you described, so I thought it might be because it couldn't find the games (it presumably wouldn't find the Steam versions because they use different registry strings and I think the program may be too old to have included them). But if you are using the CD versions then that rules that out.

• Like 1

Yeah now that you mention that, I do have the nwscript.nss in the Kotor 1 override folder, my updated K1 version automatically installs a copy along with some other files, but also since you mention that, I noticed I didn't have a copy of nwscript.nss in the K2 TSL override folder. So I thought I might try this just in case out of desperation (lol), even though I figured this wouldn't make much difference, but just for the helluva it, I put a copy of it in the K2 TSL override just see if that made any kind difference in the thing working or not, but as expected, no luck there either.  

But you know thing is, DP, I'm thinking the author wrote the program for Windows Vista or the above only and it just wasn't meant to be used on WIn XP, because maybe Win XP is just too slow for it or vise versa or maybe he didn't have Win XP in mind when he wrote the thing. Maybe he forgot to mention that in his readme or something. Who knows.

Hey guys!

Looks like someone is talking about me lol.

I just had someone hit me up over PM about the XP issues. I haven't looked at that code in a while so I'm not sure exactly why it is not behaving on XP. I'll try to look into that this week and see if I can figure it out, seeing as i'm on Win7 it might take a bit.

I will also gather up the code and throw it up on GitHub just in case other people might want to take a stab at it. 

If you would like to ask me any questions be sure to fire away and i'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello Blue,

Yeah man, glad you posted in this thread and thanks to whomever PM'd you. I can't speak for DP, but I am totally stumped as to why your program won't work on the old Win XP I got. I've always had that problem with it crashing at the startup logo. But any effort you make looking into this is most appreciated. I would love to know (and I'm sure others would to) what is causing that, if you happen to find the cause of it.

Can't think of questions right now, Blue, but I may have some later on.   ;)

Good luck and thanks for your response to this matter.

I'll need some info so that I can try to recreate the error as reliable as possible.

What XP service pack are you on?

Is it a 32bit or 64bit version of xp?

Thanks!

Here's what I got on my old rig, Blue.

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (32-bit)

Version - 5.1. 2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Type - x86-based PC 

Thanks again for looking into this, Blue.

OK I have finally been able to track down the bug. I have to admit this is a very new problem that I have never run into before.

It was actually a problem with the application icon that I created and bundled with it. For some reason xp couldn't work with it and it caused the application to crash.

I will be looking into a fix and update you all once it's live.

Edit:

On further investigation it looks like I was using a .png instead of a .ico. xp doesn't support .png for app icons.

• Like 2

Glad to hear you found the bug, Blue. So XP doesn't support .png app icons - I would've never imagined that it would be such a simple problem as that. Seems like a majority of the time it's the simple problematic stuff that ends up being the actual problem in most cases. I can you tell as a former mechanic, 8 times out of 10 it was like that with vehicles and other machines I use to work on. Anyway, I learn something new about XP. 

Once again, thank you so much for looking into this and finding the problem. I think you deserve one of these - :clap:

• Like 1

Whew!

Ok everything is compiled and updated. The download page on the site has been updated with the new installer. You can also get the link for the 7zip file for manual installations in the about section. http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/191-kotor-scripting-tool/

*As a note if you are using the installer please uninstall the previous version as the installer has changed for the new one.

Take it for a spin and let me know if you are having any more issues.

Thanks!

Edit: Here is the source code if anyone is interested https://github.com/KobaltBlu/KotOR-Scripting-Tool

• Like 1

Take it for a spin and let me know if you are having any more issues.

I LIKE IT!

No issues on my rig, not anymore. It drives nicely, Blue. ;) But seriously, it's a very handy program you've created and it works for what I needed it to do. Thanks again. You saved the day for me.

• Like 1

Blue,

the new version does not create an entry in the Start menu-> Programs of windows XP which is something that the older, not working version did.

Cheers!

Blue,

the new version does not create an entry in the Start menu-> Programs of windows XP which is something that the older, not working version did.

Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know!

I had to recreate the installer script from scratch... I must have over looked it. I should be able to put out a fix soon.