ChrisC26

KotOR Re-Release Inbound?

Any KOTOR remake likely would be created using the Frostbite engine, and therefore wouldn't have mod support.

Any KOTOR remake likely would be created using the Frostbite engine, and therefore wouldn't have mod support.

Hilarious. What do you call mods for DA: Inquisition, then?

I wouldn't call that mod support. But then again, KotOR doesn't have mod support in that sense either, as all modding tools are community-written.

Actual mod support for me would be to have official development tools the way Skyrim has them for example. And that's not going to happen if KotOR ever gets a remake.

Hilarious. What do you call mods for DA: Inquisition, then?

99 %  texture hacks.

• Like 1

I don't see any harm in KotOR being remade if it will be. They cannot screw the canon up any more than TOR did and the first game could use an update to its writing and some expansion. And hey, if it sucks, it's not like the original games are going away.

It's fairly damning that the highest number of "mods" are saves. DAI's mod scene never amounted to much, and I say that as someone that released several DAI mods. I think that is mostly down to the game being pretty crap, and the primary tool authors (and presumably many modders) quickly lost interest. But to be fair, KOTOR's mods are probably primarily texture mods as well, so it's a little harsh to judge it solely on that basis.

Getting back on topic, in the unlikely event of a remake, and it being on Frostbite, there would be a lot of groundwork for modding already done with the DAI mod tools, and those that exist for Battlefield. It's conceivable that modding for a Frostbite-based KOTOR could start within days of release, should that come to pass.