Sign in to follow this  
Traveller

KSE & KOTOR Tool on Steam/DVD

The KotOR Collection DVD version of KotOR II and the Steam version apparently do not write registry entries when installing, thus neither KotOR Tool nor the KotOR Savegame Editor can find the installation without you looking for it manually. The fix for both is simple: a registry file. Use the registry file I provide below, but change the path to where you actually have KotOR II installed and remove the .txt extension.

Steam:

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" (32-bit)

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" (64-bit)

KotOR Collection DVD:

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\SWKotOR2" (32-bit)

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\SWKotOR2" (64-bit)

Once the file is saved, double-click on it and let it merge into the registry. Then KotOR Tool and the KotOR Savegame Editor should both work correctly.

Source: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2820902&postcount=2

SWKotOR2.reg.txt

• Like 2

For those who have had trouble with Kotor Tool not detecting the path of TSL or Kotor and your using the steam version, here is how to enter the registry key manually.

1. Open regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ on 32 Bit Windows, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node on 64 Bit Windows.

3. Add Key: "LucasArts" (no quotes)

4. Add Key to LucasArts Key: "KotOR2" (no quotes)

5. Add String Value to KotOR2 Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" on 64-bit windows.

(Above are the default locations. If you installed the game/Steam elsewhere, use their path instead!)

Edited by Hassat Hunter
  • Like 4

Thanks! & for K1:

1. Open regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ on 32 Bit Windows, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node on 64 Bit Windows.

3. Add Key: "BioWare" (no quotes).

4. Add Key to BioWare Key: "SW" (no quotes).

5. Add Key to SW Key: "KOTOR" (no quotes).

6. Add String Value to KOTOR Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" on 64-bit windows.

• Like 2

6. Add String Value to KOTOR Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" on 64-bit windows.

One small note: in the "path" key you need to set your actual Steam installation folder. Many of us don't use default paths.

For example, I have Steam installed to "F:\games\steam\", so my path will look like "F:\games\steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\".

• Like 2

Thank you so much! I've been battling with this all morning till I found this.

I have an issue. KSE is working fine for my 4 disc KotOR, but my discs for Kotor2 must be damaged, it crashes after character creation every time, so I got KotOR2 on steam. Now KSE wont work with kotor2. I tried the registry thing, but I get an error every time I try to run the registry file. I am attaching my registry update file, can someone tell me where I went wrong?

The error says:

"Cannot import C:\SWKotOR2.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

By the way I am on windows 11, if the operating system version matters.

SWKotOR2.reg

Your REG file is not formatted correctly. I created a batch file that can automate the process for you - https://github.com/DarthParametric/KOTOR_Registry_Install_Path_Editor/releases (download the CMD file, double click it, and follow the instructions).

Alternatively, edit your REG file with a text editor and change it to the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\KotOR2]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II"

Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the start menu search box, click on "Local". That should open an Explorer window at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ . There should be a KSE folder, inside there should be a kse.ini file. Open it in a text editor (Notepad, etc.). You can edit the values under Paths. For example, mine looks like this:

[Paths]
K1_Path=G:\\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\\K1
K1_SavePath=G:\\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\\K1\\saves
K2_Path=G:\\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\\TSL
K2_SavePath=G:\\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\\TSL\\saves
K2_SavePathCloud=undef
TJM_Path=undef
Steam_Path=undef

Hello, i just got KOTOR1 via Amazon and tried to use TSE, and apparently amazon does everything different, again...

I have TSE 3.3.8 and used KPF which then created an inifile with the wrong path to the savegames.

With my install they are saved under this path
C:\Users\Cougar\AppData\Roaming\LucasArts\kotor\saves

i then edited the kse.ini accordingly (notepad++)
K1_SavePath=C:\\Users\\Cougar\\AppData\\Roaming\\LucasArts\\kotor\\saves

But the Editor cant find any saves. I even tried to create the Path KSE tries by default with this virtual folder and copied my saves there, but not luck.

This is my complete ini file:

[Installed]
K1_Installed=1
K2_Installed=0
TJM_Installed=0

[Paths]
K1_Path=D:\\KOTOR\\Amazon Games\\Library\\Star Wars - Knights of the Old
K1_SavePath=C:\\Users\\Cougar\\AppData\\Roaming\\LucasArts\\kotor\\saves
K2_Path=undef
K2_SavePath=undef
K2_SavePathCloud=undef
TJM_Path=undef
Steam_Path=d:\\steam

[Options]
Use_K2_Cloud=0

So, did amazon break the Save games or is it maybe a different issue?