TheDarkChocolateJedi

How kotor1 could have been better.

Now before you go defending kotor1 saying "it was the perfect game!" Or "most authentic Star Wars experience ever kotor2 sucks!" Kotor1 wasn't perfect either so I am going to be doing a little nit picking and giving my opinion on how kotor1 could have been better. One of my main issues with kotor1 is the super crappy beggining the Endar spire felt forced and it didn't feel... Awesome like Star Wars is supposed to feel. Of course the game wouldn't have been the same without the Endar spire but it could have been far more epic and far less like a five year olds dialogue course. I would also like to say that in kotor1 and 2 there should have been a more open world just look at morrowind :/. Also graphically the game could have been better i mean halo2 came out around the same time as kotor1 and look at the graphics difference, also the game should have been longer and more complex so that way every time you replay it, it's not easy to remember what happend on your last player through rather, there would be so many major differences it would have been a comepletely different game! Also I am not complaining but was anyone wanting to play whatever happend to revan after he became Sith Lord? Or after he saved the galaxy? I'm sorry but that ending wasn't enough for me and kotor1 has a small plot hole, When carth says bastilla was too tired from using her battle meditation to fight of the vulkars, later on bastilla says she never had time to use her battle meditation? Plot hole much? Kotor1 was an amazing game and it is what got me into RPG gaming and it will always have a place in my heart but it was not perfect, just like everything else in life thanks for reading and I'd like to get your opinions on what you didn't like about kotor1 :)

In the future, most people don't like reading a big wall of text...

To quote those dreaded English teachers, "A good paragraph should be six to eight sentences, but no more than 12."

Otherwise, info gets really hard to find or decipher and people just won't bother trying...

• Like 2

When i played Kotor the first time - actually i first played TSL and then K1 - it was an amazing experience. But when i, due to my modding activities, go through several dialogues now, some of them sound very childish and un-mature..

So i think Bioware originally developed the game for kids, not adults - and changed that over the years.

Everybody says that Bioware has its strength in storytelling - well i m not so sure. Their main strength is (was) the cinematic presentation like in Mass Effect 2 or Dragon age Origins. But what i miss in K1 story is the awareness of the little details - everythings way too much "in your face", bombastic, epic, but not subtle.

The second Kotor however, is totally different. The world design/ cinematics are somewhat worse than the original game, but:

I enjoyed the storytelling a lot more: every word -> especially Kreia! , every dialogue had its right place in the bigger context;  in general there were a lot of very subtle twists and turns and change of pace that i miss in K1.

The immediate feel of danger lurking somewhere and the fact, not to oversee the whole situation was fascinating..

• Like 1

Well I for one always enjoyed K1 more than TSL, that is until recently; I think that had a lot to do with my own maturation. When I first played K1 I was much younger and it just felt more...epic to me. In contrast TSL always felt unnecessarily convoluted. With the hard work of TSLRCM however and a greater appreciation of the story on my part, I actually now prefer TSL and play it much more often. Don't get me wrong, I love K1 though!

My main gripes with K1 are:

1) Silly Dialogue: Lines like "Hey - we speak the same language!" are overt and unnecessary. In fact, I don't think I realised how essential the PC Response Moderation Mod is to fixing this problem. (Thanks KP!)

2) Useless Characters: Party members like HK-47 and Jolee were great, but their brilliance is lost amongst a sea of mediocrity; T3-M4, Juhani, and Zaalbar to name a few.

3) Archetypal Monomyth Story: Bioware played it safe with K1; you know the whole 'Im out to save the galaxy from a clearly evil enemy'. Sometimes a little uniqueness is needed and that's what I love about TSL; its unapologetic for what it is: different.

never played K1, but i'm seriously considering getting it, unless there are some old requirements needed that differ from Kotor2

speaking of which, is there a forum to discus how it could be better? Or is can I just use this?

Either way my biggest tidbit about Kotor 2, after installing TSLRCM ;) "besides overall game shortness" was Malochor, it for an ending was good but the planet itself wasn't,  If you allow someone to take 2 hours worth of side character skill customizations and then you throw all of it away except for 3 characters "handmaiden solo, Atton solo, Mira solo" it gets a little ridiculous, that and its pretty quiet aside from GOTO-HK diolouge and mira-hanharrs.  would have been interesting if the people in the academy talk to you, or you have hallucinations "like at the hidden sith tomb" on the planet surface.  For enemies? storm beasts where weird, id rather have a lot of sith assassins and those horned blue goat things "Twigulktas?"

"Twigulktas?"

A cross between a Twi'lek and a Tukata perhaps?  :rofl: 

But in all seriousness I agree with your sentiment on Malachor in the vanilla version. I never used to actually even bother finishing past Dantooine where you either confront Kreia or the Jedi masters; I usually ended my playthroughs there. Since TSLRCM however, that has been unnecessary.

• Like 1

Well I for one always enjoyed K1 more than TSL, that is until recently; I think that had a lot to do with my own maturation. When I first played K1 I was much younger and it just felt more...epic to me. In contrast TSL always felt unnecessarily convoluted. With the hard work of TSLRCM however and a greater appreciation of the story on my part, I actually now prefer TSL and play it much more often. Don't get me wrong, I love K1 though!

My main gripes with K1 are:

1) Silly Dialogue: Lines like "Hey - we speak the same language!" are overt and unnecessary. In fact, I don't think I realised how essential the PC Response Moderation Mod is to fixing this problem. (Thanks KP!)

2) Useless Characters: Party members like HK-47 and Jolee were great, but their brilliance is lost amongst a sea of mediocrity; T3-M4, Juhani, and Zaalbar to name a few.

3) Archetypal Monomyth Story: Bioware played it safe with K1; you know the whole 'Im out to save the galaxy from a clearly evil enemy'. Sometimes a little uniqueness is needed and that's what I love about TSL; its unapologetic for what it is: different.

This summed it up quite nicely. As of now my only preferences for K1 over K2 are it's more Star Warsy characters and story plus motha****in Revan. But K2 has the more darker, mature story, more interesting characters, better gameplay, and it has so much mystery behind some parts which may be on fault of LucasArts telling Obsidian to hurry up.

• Like 1