Sign in to follow this  
ttlan

Towards a perfect K2 - 008 - Typo? Mistake? For any who know the way.

Towards a perfect K2 - 008 - Typo? Mistake? For any who know the way.

As I was making a correction to the French translation, I noticed this :

But she will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after her into the depths of space, for any who know the way.

I do not know if it is in the English audio files but it is, surely, a mistake.

To be compared to :

But he will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, any who know the way.

TTLan

As I was making a correction to the French translation, I noticed this :

But she will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after her into the depths of space, for any who know the way.

Unless . . . the comment "for any who know the way" refers to the enemy that is headed towards Republic space from "out there." In that case, the Jedi or Sith that followed Revan would be taking out the invaders that Revan is scouting against. It's just a theory . . .

There is no Mistake, you just probably dont know how it fits in because english isnt your first language, ive been reading your threads about this perfect k2 thing, and most of the so called mistakes you point out arnt actually mistakes, its just that you dont understand how they fit in. sorry if this offends you ;)

There is no Mistake, you just probably dont know how it fits in because english isnt your first language, ive been reading your threads about this perfect k2 thing, and most of the so called mistakes you point out arnt actually mistakes, its just that you dont understand how they fit in. sorry if this offends you ;)

Blunt much? lol

Some of the things he mentioned sound like reasonable lapses in logic, but this isn't.

Er? I think that this posed and presents a problem.

If I am delayed on this it is precisely because the original French translation had completely eluded this portion of sentence which is not translated at all currently, like others French things which make that does not fit (like, sometimes, for example, to translate ?white? when Obsidian says ?black?, to translate the reverse of what is known as).

Despite the fact that English is not my native language, I think I understand it a little bit and, more especially, I understand the spirit of K2.

The word ?way? is ambiguous in the mouth of Kreia and can easily indicate those which know the way of Jedi or those which know the path towards the Empire.

The only difference between 101434 and 101442 is a Revan male or female.

So, I don't understand what that "for" do there in the female case.

It's, perhaps, because it don't fit in (in English).

Kreia is going to die. She prepares the way for the one she loved and protected like her child. One does not say vague things at this moment. Kreia never said things vague? things prone to interpretations or speculations, perhaps, but there, at that time... I would like an explanation which is not a theory without justification.

The work of Obsidian on the language is exemplary and each word counts. Is this word in excess? A typing error? One does not find it in the male version and I do not see why, here, there would be an alternative between the two versions or, what is this alternative, in a deepened interpretation, that I don't understand?

And, MassShadowCreator, I weary myself of all, except learning. (?One wearies oneself of all, except learning?, Virgile). :) ;)

TTLan

To be compared to :

But he will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, any who know the way.

First of all, the string 101442 is:

But he will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, for any who know the way.

Anyways, one possibility is SH's explanation.

The other: I think it's technically a mistake, but doesn't sound wrong because the verb is changed from 'to need' to 'to have a need for', but the 'for' and the actual verb are that far away that no one really notices they actually don't fit..

But he will need warriors.

But he will need Sith and Jedi.

But he will need any who can be sent after him into the depths of space.

But he will need for any who know the way?

The last one doesn't work, it can be fixed like this:

But he will have a need for any who know the way.

Where does your .tlk file come from ?

First of all, the string 101442 is:

But he will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, for any who know the way.

I've just verified in the original dialog.tlk file on my english K2 and in the original english dialog.tlk file that you can download from Obsidian web pages.

The two ones don't have the word "for" in them.

And I am right, no?

He / She will need warriors

He / She will need Sith and Jedi

He / She will need any who can be sent after...

He / She will need any who know the way

But, ok,

He / She will need for any who know the way

may be right to.

In my English memories

We need for somebody to do something

but

We need for something

Isn't it?

And the faults, in French are (actual translation in French back to English):

But he will need warriors, Sith or Jedi, able to find him in the depths of space. (And that's all !)

But she will need warriors, Sith or Jedi, able to find him in the depths of space. (And that's all !)

Edited by ttlan

Anyways, one possibility is SH's explanation.

Possible, but not likely. Good input either way. SH!

Alright people. Let's dissect this.

So we have our sentence:

The rule I learned with commas is if you can take out the section that is in commas and the sentence still makes sense, then the sentence is correctly constructed. Let's omit "Sith and Jedi" and see what happens.

But he will need warriors, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, for any who know the way.

Okay, the meaning is starting to take form. "Any who can be sent after him into the depths of space" is an extension of "warriors" so lets omit that.

We get the sentence:

But he will need warriors for any who know the way.

Well this is pretty simple. It sounds like Revan wants warriors for the people who know the way to the Unknown Regions (or wherever the f*** Revan went off to). Not that you can substitute any of the omitted segments with warriors and still get a similar meaning.

1 - But he will need Jedi and Sith for any who know the way.

2 - But he will need any who can be sent after him into the depths of space for any who know the way.

It is strange wording, but it makes sense.

Or it could be Chris was a little drunk that day and not paying attention. As to the VO argument, well don't VO's get recorded by people reading written text? Which could have typoes? ;)

Yeah, I know, it's a depressing way to analyse any work. But one does wonder how much of the meaning in theories constructed by fans of things (of anything, not just Kotor) is built on things that are merely accidental.

Mind, I'm a believer of, for instance, the Kreia = Arren Kae theory, so I can't talk :)

Edited by Markus Ramikin

Or it could be Chris was a little drunk that day and not paying attention. As to the VO argument, well don't VO's get recorded by people reading written text? Which could have typoes? ;)

Yeah, I know, it's a depressing way to analyse any work. But one does wonder how much of the meaning in theories constructed by fans of things (of anything, not just Kotor) is built on things that are merely accidental.

Mind, I'm a believer of, for instance, the Kreia = Arren Kae theory, so I can't talk :)

Chris drunk! lol ;):D

I also think that the theory according to which Kreia and Arren Kae are two different characters is a pure speculation.

There is absolutely no beginning of proof of that in K2.

On the oposite side, I listed 18 evidences that it is the same character (and there are undoubtedly others).

But this is another debate.

http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/personnage_arren_kae.html#_kreia_est_arren_kae

Once I've learnt French, I'll be sure to examine them.

Until then, I'll have to be content with Scorchy's analysis:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/Update%2058/index.html

I'm pretty sure it's correct. But ultimately it's a theory. Chris dodged the question, maybe because he wanted it to remain uncertain, or maybe because he doesn't want to admit he never intended that. Authors like to do that, if you find some deeper meaning in their work than they originally intended, they'll modestly let you keep believing it ;).

Edited by Markus Ramikin

It is strange wording, but it makes sense.

Well the wording does make sense now, thanks VP. As for the meaning... If warriors are to be sent after Revan into the depths of space, then they must also know how to get to him, so they should be among the 'any who know the way', no?

Well the wording does make sense now, thanks VP. As for the meaning... If warriors are to be sent after Revan into the depths of space, then they must also know how to get to him, so they should be among the 'any who know the way', no?

They are being sent into deep space, but I'm assuming that only a few actually know the way, so the warriors will be following the 'leader' if you will.