About This File
Author: ndix UR
Release: August 2018
Convert TGA images to TPC format for use in KotOR and TSL.
TPC files contain the information from a TXI file (so the TXI file is no longer needed when a TPC file is used), and can be uncompressed or compressed with either DXT1 or DXT5.
Advanced features like animation and cubemap layering are initiated by the presence of specific TXI directives like cube 1 and proceduretype cycle.
For some reason, the game really wants normal maps to be in TPC format. This will let you create and use full 32-bit color normal maps without having to make them into simple height maps by using indexed color.
The tool is free, open source, and cross-platform. Code is available at https://github.com/ndixUR/tga2tpc
How do I set it up?
Windows: unzip the package, run tga2tpc.exe
Mac: unzip the package, move tga2tpc.app to /Applications, run it
* This is not a signed application, so you have to do whatever is required to run non-MAS applications on your MacOS version.
How do I use it?
Drag files in and hit start. There shouldn't be much more to it than that. Using square and/or power of 2 sized textures is a good idea (sometimes required), TXI information is optional, and the settings are pretty much self-explanatory. The nature of TPC alpha blending is not necessarily intuitive so you may need to seek information to use it properly.
- Create cubemaps
- Create animated textures
- DXT1/5 Compression available (requires 2^n texture size)
- Horizontal/Vertical flip, for those pesky wrongly oriented TGA files
- Bicubic downsampling for mipmaps (precomputed small versions of the texture, part of the TPC format)
- Control texture alpha blending setting
- Cannot create uncompressed animated textures.
- Only for converting from TGA to TPC. For TPC to TGA, use Kotor Tool, xoreos-tools, etc.
- Progress bar doesn't update as often as you might want.
- Bicubic downsample is slow. I recommend only using it for final conversions, not testing.
- The package size is large. This is the cost of easy cross-platform GUI support. All electron applications are large like this.
- You are likely to have problems trying to read TGAs from folders containing markup entities/encoded characters (like ')
DarthParametric for inciting the creation of this tool, and doing the testing.
DrMcCoy and all the contributors to xoreos, whose TPC decoding implementation provided the basis for the TPC library herein.
bead-v for moral support.
What's New in Version 1.5.1 See changelog
- Fixed critical regression in 1.5.0 that broke animated and cubemap texture processing, oops.