Mephiles550

Malak end-game model change: Is such a mod possible?

Has anyone ever considered the poetic irony of how good a finish the final boss of Kotor could have had if you hacked off Malak's mechanical jaw, just like you did years earlier with his original jaw? It would be great if the final scene where Malak is defeated and kneeling in front of Revan used his jawless model, a type of  "the circle is now complete" moment. 

Is such a mod even possible? To switch the models in between the fade out once you've beaten him? I imagine it's not, but I'd like to hear what some of the experts have to think about it. Scripting is out of my league. 

I'm guessing his cape animation would also be messed up, I don't think the jawless model has all the right animations. 

I am no expert but I do think what you are suggesting is indeed possible.

I think it is a matter of using a stunt model created for that particular cutscene.

56 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

I'm guessing his cape animation would also be messed up, I don't think the jawless model has all the right animations. 

As far as I remember, the two Malak models are identical except for the jaw, so animations aren't an issue. And even if they were an issue, the models are similar enough that they could fixed with a simple edit.

As far as changing Malak's appearance mid-cutscene, this is easy enough to implement by giving him a disguise effect or item.

If you are expecting to see the jaw being cut off with elaborate visuals, then Salk is right that it would require a stunt animation, which is a fair bit of work.

9 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

To switch the models in between the fade out once you've beaten him?

Yeah it's possible to switch his appearance with the fade-in/out script that's currently available on the cutscene's setup.

9 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

I think one can try porting the animations from the default model to there [or only change the reference of the supermodel].

I did working on a mod [not much been achieved though other than the appearance - as it stands now] that use the jawless model as well, and had the cape animations working --

Spoiler

[K1-WIP] Malak's Final Form -- Preview 06

9 hours ago, Salk said:

I think it is a matter of using a stunt model created for that particular cutscene.

Pretty sure it's sufficient with the regular-custom model -- we'll see about it.

Edit:

My post a bit late than JC, but yeah -- this one's define whether or not stunt model's needed --

8 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

If you are expecting to see the jaw being cut off with elaborate visuals, then Salk is right that it would require a stunt animation, which is a fair bit of work.

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ebmar said:

I did working on a mod [not much been achieved though other than the appearance - as it stands now] that use the jawless model as well, and had the cape animations working

Hello:) this mod can be used for Singleplayer company? Were you able to solve the problem with Malak's mantle animation, when he uses a single/dual blaster, dual sword, staff?

Try this to swap Malak's appearance to his jawless one before the final sentences -- [K1]_Jawless_Malak_[End-Game]_BETA.7z

Apparently it's fine as it is using the default jawless model/n_darthmalak02 -- as it already refer the regular model/N_DarthMalak as the Supermodel. Granted, the cape will clips with the floor but that to expected as it will require custom animations like Sithspecter's Revan's Flowing Cape mod -- which not something I could tackle.

The script will work with a saved game inside the module so one don't have to re-enter looking for its first time.

I don't provide the source with the archive but here's one to look at --

Spoiler

//:://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//:: [K1] Jawless Malak [End-Game]
//:: Version            : BETA
//:: File Name          : k_psta_endjump
//:: Associated RIM/MOD : sta_m45ad
/*   Created By         : ebmar [based on BioWare's implementation]
     Created On         : February 06, 2022
*/

void UT_ActionPauseConversation(float fDelay)
{
	ActionPauseConversation();
	DelayCommand(fDelay, ActionResumeConversation());
}

void main()
{
	object oPC = GetFirstPC();
	object oSta45_DarthMalak = GetObjectByTag("sta_45darthMalak");
	location lLoc_PC = GetLocation(GetObjectByTag("sta_pc_dead"));
	location lLoc_Sta45_DarthMalak = GetLocation(GetObjectByTag("sta_malak_dead"));
	int nDA_JawlessDarthMalak = 368; // Jawless Malak's default ID row in --appearance.2DA

UT_ActionPauseConversation(3.0f);

SetCommandable(TRUE, oSta45_DarthMalak);

// Switch Malak's appearance permanently to the jawless one as in --appearance.2DA
	ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, EffectDisguise(nDA_JawlessDarthMalak), oSta45_DarthMalak);

AssignCommand(oSta45_DarthMalak, PlayAnimation(ANIMATION_LOOPING_KNEEL_TALK_SAD, 1.0f, -1.0f));

/* Not sure why they jumped them twice at the same location
	-- and late to noticed that, but I didn't bother changing it */
    DelayCommand(0.2f, AssignCommand(oPC, JumpToLocation(lLoc_PC)));
	DelayCommand(0.2f, AssignCommand(oSta45_DarthMalak, JumpToLocation(lLoc_Sta45_DarthMalak)));
	DelayCommand(0.5f, AssignCommand(oPC, JumpToLocation(lLoc_PC)));
	DelayCommand(0.5f, AssignCommand(oSta45_DarthMalak, JumpToLocation(lLoc_Sta45_DarthMalak)));
}

6 hours ago, Liserg said:

...this mod can be used for Singleplayer company? Were you able to solve the problem with Malak's mantle animation, when he uses a single/dual blaster, dual sword, staff?

Nope, and I didn't plan working on one [said animations] in the meantime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ebmar said:

Nope, and I didn't plan working on one [said animations] in the meantime

Am I correct in assuming that you have to create a separate animation for each type of weapon?

@ebmarI tried your beta of the mod, thanks a lot! It's definitely a start. The cape is not working properly, which you already mentioned, but even more glaring is that, when Malak falls over after his final sentence, half of his body is clipping through the floor.

Something I was thinking to maybe make it convincing, could a script make Malak's model change the second he "dies" (begins his defeat animation/kneeling after there are no more Jedi to drain)? Maybe accompanied by a small explosion/grenade blast on his face the second this happens to indicate Revan destroyed his mechanical jaw?

That's probably getting into really specific territory, so I'm just throwing ideas out at this point.