ZM90

Official K1R Progress Thread

Guest bendarby24

What he said :P

You are going to need luck for that !!!

Though if they do repair these walkmeshes, perhaps they'll later try to takle K2's Telos's Entertainment broken walkmeshes?

• Like 1

Though if they do repair these walkmeshes, perhaps they'll later try to tackle Telos's Entertainment broken walkmeshes?

That's for K2 though. One miracle at a time, folks! However - before I return this thread to the correct subject - the stuff in this thread is likely the stuff MrPhil was talking about: KOTOR 2 - Telos Hidden Area.

(Only post in that thread if you plan to actually work on the walk-mesh. I don't want anyone accused of thread necromancy over there.)

Back on subject: the Rakatan Temple would not only need a new walk-mesh, it would also have to be be retextured, and finally - it would need a new map. You'd also have to add in the Sarlaac, of course.

Guest Bob Ta'aar

Well, walkmeshes and texturing can be done ... in theroy ... right? The biggest problem would be the Sarlacc, I guess, as there is no such thing in the files. And model one from scrach? Well, not entirely impossible, but incredible work, even without animations.

I don't wanna dissapoint anyone though, there's nobody who would like to finally see such stuff more than me.

Guest Gatherum

Hello there.

Noticed this here new mod in progress and I thought that I'd drop in and say...

It's about time.

I would, first and foremost, like to thank you modders for finally endeavoring to undertake a project that has been a long time coming, I think. I look forward to the finished product.

However, there are just some things I'd like to point out. Note that I do not intend to be condescending; I am no modder, I admit--I just have an idea or two.

Firstly, I'd like to stress the notion that there is a difference between content that was cut for time constraints and that which was cut because of story incompatibilities or other issues. Generally speaking, I am of the opinion that, if one intends to make a broad restoration like this, it should include things that make the vanilla game better and more immersible, not things that you just restored merely to restore it. If you can make it work, go ahead, absolutely. But if making it work requires adding your own original content (notwithstanding its quality, mind you), that should probably be a warning sign that it was cut for a good reason. Keep in mind that KotOR I was on a much more stable development cycle than its successor, and therefore, some of its missing content should probably NOT be there. I'll leave that to your discretion, of course.

Secondly, I see that the Sleheyron project was mentioned earlier, and I got to thinking... Would it not be a good idea to approach the leader of that project (I don't recall his name; admittedly, I've been away from all of this for a good half a year, at least) and propose merging your two projects together? Given that, disregarding Sleheyron, there was so much less cut from KotOR than TSL (correct me if I'm wrong about that), from my perspective, I think that both of your projects could be merged without leading them both into development hell, not to mention that the members of both teams could very likely benefit from one another as far as organisation goes, as well as how all of the restored content meshes together in the final release.

Whatever you decide to do, though, I wish you all the best. I highly anticipate a release date. :)

EDIT: Also, as far as the discussion on the walkmesh and sarlacc goes, once again, I am no modder, but I am aware that building a whole new model from scratch is an epic undertaking, with or without new animations and textures, and that there is a reason that few, if any, people attempt to do so. I understand that you want to make this as complete as possible, and I praise you for it. Still, be reasonable. If anything, focus first on what can be restored for certain through the usual means. You can always go back to the 'impossible' stuff later (hell, it might even be worth its own project, by the sound of things). :)

Guest Dak Drexl

^Well said [claps]

If you do intend on doing the sarlaac, I think your best bet would be to do a pit with teeth around it... it wouldn't require animating and people would still know what it is. Just a thought... cary on :)

Secondly, I see that the Sleheyron project was mentioned earlier, and I got to thinking... Would it not be a good idea to approach the leader of that project (I don't recall his name; admittedly, I've been away from all of this for a good half a year, at least) and propose merging your two projects together? Given that, disregarding Sleheyron, there was so much less cut from KotOR than TSL (correct me if I'm wrong about that), from my perspective, I think that both of your projects could be merged without leading them both into development hell, not to mention that the members of both teams could very likely benefit from one another as far as organisation goes, as well as how all of the restored content meshes together in the final release.

The creator of that mod is Disbeliever. The hold up on that mod's release from what I've heard is scripting - pure and simple. If anyone wants even a chance of that mod being released, a modder with excellent scripting skills would have to assist him. He's had other offers before and when they didn't finish the job, the mod remained in development hell. To repeat: If anyone wants a chance of that mod to see the light of day, they'd have to put scripting of that mod over all other modding jobs and continue on with it until the job was done. I'm sorry to state it so baldly but those are the breaks, as it were.

• Like 2

Guest Kerk

Dear modders,

I have a litle request. Since you are doing a big piece of work on this restoration project anyway, would that be possible to increase the final level of Revan from 25 to ... I don't know, infinity, like it was in kotor 2.

You see the thing is, if I take all the side quests during the game, I end up achieving the final level by the middle of the 4th planet, which for me is always Korriban. So, from that on, I still have a half of Korriban, Yavin, the Unknown Plant, and the Star Forge with thousands of XP points for nothing. And as you recall, in kotor 2 development goes until the very end.

I imagine it is not something hard for you to do.

thank you.

I think that the level cap in KOTOR 1 is designed so it can't be changed. And by the way, KotOR 2 had a cap of 50. I would love for this to happen too, but well... :( If you want, you can change your character's specs through KSE - attributes, skills, HP, FP, feats, powers, so on and so forth.

Guest bendarby24

It is hard coded so it can't be done without hacking the game but then if you do this you will be going against the law. :(

Guest Kerk

It is hard coded so it can't be done without hacking the game but then if you do this you will be going against the law. :(

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Look here.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/files/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Mods/Character_Progression;9127

The whole list of progression modifiers. So how is this different from what I was asking for?

But again, I am a total noob in everything regarding mods...

Guest Dak Drexl

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Look here.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/files/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Mods/Character_Progression;9127

The whole list of progression modifiers. So how is this different from what I was asking for?

But again, I am a total noob in everything regarding mods...

The mods you linked us to are workarounds to the greater hard-coded problem. Mods like that slow your progression and give you more feats per level (or something along the lines of that) to give the illusion of a higher level... which basically accomplishes what we want, but unfortunately the level cap still can't be changed.

Guest ibejim

With all this great stuff restored though, it sounds like you could reach level 20 on the leviathan or the third planet if you do all the quests. And for this to include BOSSR, yeah it is a supurb mod but I mean, I was already at level 20 when I started it... It just seems something you're working for is completed a little past half way.

We're not integrating it with BoS:SR, we're just trying to make sure they don't mess up the game when used together. You can use one without the other.

You're absolutely right that there's far less cut content for K1 compared to TSL, and it won't be easy to implement it, but I'm sure we'll find a way it time.

Guest HK-47

Dear modders,

I have a litle request. Since you are doing a big piece of work on this restoration project anyway, would that be possible to increase the final level of Revan from 25 to ... I don't know, infinity, like it was in kotor 2.

You see the thing is, if I take all the side quests during the game, I end up achieving the final level by the middle of the 4th planet, which for me is always Korriban. So, from that on, I still have a half of Korriban, Yavin, the Unknown Plant, and the Star Forge with thousands of XP points for nothing. And as you recall, in kotor 2 development goes until the very end.

I imagine it is not something hard for you to do.

thank you.

Statement: Development isn't supposed to go unfinished by the end game. In KotOR 2, your top level is 50, but you never reach it because so much content is missing, and the XP system is broken giving you insufficient amounts of XP.

Incredulous Statement: I don't know how you're getting to level 20 in KotOR1 half-way through your fourth planet, I've tried it and been unable to do it. Even with BoS I can't do it.

Theory: The only thing I can think of is you're using some sort of XP mod, or you're somehow doing the side quests that are both dark and light.

Ehm, if you go to level 40+ (with cheating for example) the game is clearly not made for that. Lootscripts break (hence no lightsaber drops if you were that level), auto-balancing breaks... everything does.

So, no, I doubt it was ever intended AT ALL.

If any too much XP is given, especially in the start, since the early levels pass faster than you should.

Guest Kerk

Statement: Development isn't supposed to go unfinished by the end game. In KotOR 2, your top level is 50, but you never reach it because so much content is missing, and the XP system is broken giving you insufficient amounts of XP.

Incredulous Statement: I don't know how you're getting to level 20 in KotOR1 half-way through your fourth planet, I've tried it and been unable to do it. Even with BoS I can't do it.

Theory: The only thing I can think of is you're using some sort of XP mod, or you're somehow doing the side quests that are both dark and light.

I played both games a while ago and made a mistake about the level cap. Yes, it's 20 for kotor 1 and 50 for kotor 2.

But really, I never used any mods on kotor 1, and every time I would get to 20 in the middle of the forth planet. No idea why you can't.

Guest Allison Lightning

I played both games a while ago and made a mistake about the level cap. Yes, it's 20 for kotor 1 and 50 for kotor 2.

But really, I never used any mods on kotor 1, and every time I would get to 20 in the middle of the forth planet. No idea why you can't.

I've played the game modded and unmodded untold times- save that one time that I hacked the game to try and get myself out of the Sith Embassy on Manaan (I didn't get the Missing Selkath quest before going in on my first playthrough), I've generally only gotten to Level 20 on Lehon/Unknown World, or at the end of my fourth world, or doing needless trawling through finished areas that respawn creatures to drive my experience upwards.

Even as a Level 20- getting your companions to the same level is a challenge in itself. I think if it was a matter of to do an added component after the Star Forge that you would need extra levels- but the game becomes more about completing the story. And as a veteran of the Star Forge, getting through a stage feels like an immense accomplishment, well apart from the Droid begining part.

Guest Kerk

Then you must know that some side quests require returning to finished locations, which makes fighting respawning creatures inavitable. It's pretty hard and inconvinient to do all quests at once. No trawling in this.

Guest Allison Lightning

Out of curiousity, because then I'll know the best way to respond what sort of Revan do you play- light, dark, male, female? Likewise what do you do about levelling on Taris, I don't level up after level six so I can get extra Jedi levels and I always play a straight lightside or darkside character.

Guest Kerk

First of all, I'm always a scout. That allows me repair droids and use computers to get max xp points. If possible I also have my teammates collect mines, which also gives xp, but you know that. Always strictly light side male, but with Genoharadan quests. Regarding Taris, I don't care much for extra jedi points - I just follow up with ordinary levelling but manually. I do not wonder around to get hella extra xp on respawning creatures, but I do repair all the droids in the game.

as you see, there is nothing special about my way of playing. And by the way, this is complitelly off topic. I've already been told that increasing the level cap is not possible, so let's just forget about it.

Guest Allison Lightning

First of all, I'm always a scout. That allows me repair droids and use computers to get max xp points. If possible I also have my teammates collect mines, which also gives xp, but you know that. Always strictly light side male, but with Genoharadan quests. Regarding Taris, I don't care much for extra jedi points - I just follow up with ordinary levelling but manually. I do not wonder around to get hella extra xp on respawning creatures, but I do repair all the droids in the game.

as you see, there is nothing special about my way of playing. And by the way, this is complitelly off topic. I've already been told that increasing the level cap is not possible, so let's just forget about it.

Well it's sort of on topic if you're dissatisfied with the level cap because it means the extra experience you get is for naught. Levelling up gets you extra hit points, feats, Force powers ectra. You could use KSE, figure out an amount of experience and grant yourself extra attributes, feats and a power for every time you reach a certain amount. It's not an actual new level, and it does require displine to stick to it and only granting yourself a normal amount such as one force power and one attribute point rise but it could help.

Saving that, you can delete experience to keep yourself from reaching Level 20 until a certain point.

That's my only suggestion. Off topic, I really do wish there was a way to do the Gehohardden quests without taking a hit to my alignment, LS options.

have my teammates collect mines, which also gives xp

Not in KOTOR1 it doesn't.

And you're an assassin. How is that supposed to be even *remotely* LS?

Guest Kerk

Don't be a nagger, it's a higher better cause that only a few can understand! It's time all good people united and killed all bad people!

besides, even so, the top of LS is easily reached.