N-DReW25

Appearance.2da limit?

Some of you might know I am making a mod called the "K1 Gameplay Improvement" mod, one of my "improvements" is a large variety of commoner variants from new commoner clothing, new commoner heads and new clothing such as the Scout and Scoundrel clothes being used in place of the commoner garb at times. In order to pull off some of these NPC variants, I, of course, need to add new lines in the appearance.2da. The issue I am experiencing is some sort of limitation around the 600 line range.

For example, let's say if I have a Rodian and a Duro on lines 487 and 492 and I try to use KSE to change my character into one of those aliens I will appear like the aliens the 2da line is set to. Now if I have a Bith and a Twilek on 645 and 647 if I tried to change my character into the Twilek on line 647 I will actually appear like the Bith on line 645 despite the fact my character is set to the Twilek on line 647, essentially, the problem is if I set my character to a 2da line around the 600 mark my character will not appear like the character on the line I chose but instead appear like a character two rows down which I didn't pick. Can someone explain what I am encountering? Does the appearance.2da have a limit like the placeables.2da or am I missing something important?

• Like 1

Yeah there's basically a row limit beyond which the engine will wrap around back to the beginning of the file. I had thought the appearance.2da limit was higher than that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Bioware only needed to account for their required vanilla row count after all. Obsidian addressed this in TSL (although I'm not sure how far they raised the limit), but you are out of luck for K1.

2 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

Can someone explain what I am encountering? ...am I missing something important?

I recall saw two row spaces [two consecutive rows with only ****] on your mod's appearance.2da - IIRC, perhaps that causes you the trouble. I mean, linking with your apparent problem which skips two exact rows - that seem to be likely.

...if I have a Rodian and a Duro on lines 487 and 492 and I try to use KSE to change my character into one of those aliens I will appear like the aliens the 2da line is set to.

Did they only happened with ~600's? How about those at ~200's or ~300's - do they have the same number skipping? All clear.

Does the appearance.2da have a limit like the placeables.2da...

I'm at 783 rows now -without **** skipping- and didn't seem to having that issue. Which why I suspect them rows with **** could be the culprit for this.

Edited by ebmar

18 hours ago, ebmar said:

I recall saw two row spaces [two consecutive rows with only ****] on your mod's appearance.2da

The IDs were starred out? Or just the rest of the row? The latter should be irrelevant.

18 hours ago, ebmar said:

I recall saw two row spaces [two consecutive rows with only ****] on your mod's appearance.2da - IIRC, perhaps that causes you the trouble. I mean, linking with your apparent problem which skips two exact rows - that seem to be likely.

Did they only happened with ~600's? How about those at ~200's or ~300's - do they have the same number skipping? All clear.

I'm at 783 rows now -without **** skipping- and didn't seem to having that issue. Which why I suspect them rows with **** could be the culprit for this.

33 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

The IDs were starred out? Or just the rest of the row? The latter should be irrelevant.

Those rows with **** are actually the rows that broke for me and the **** are actually there to tell me that those lines are broken and cannot be used. For some odd reason, skipping a few lines and keeping the broken lines blank worked for a time until now somewhere in the 630 area skipping doesn't do anything and the problem persists.

As @ebmar most likely has the mod in reference installed I would like to ask @ebmar to see if replacing the blanks with another 2da line like Carth's line, for example, to see if on his end the bug still persists on his end. If not, this may be a problem exclusive to Steam Kotor (Granted he isn't using the Steam version as well).

On 6/20/2019 at 2:18 PM, DarthParametric said:

The IDs were starred out? Or just the rest of the row?

As far as I can recall it was the IDs and the rest of the row.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, N-DReW25 said:

...most likely has the mod in reference installed I would like to ask... to see if replacing the blanks with another 2da line... to see if on his end the bug still persists on his end.

I don't have them installed but I can switch around the 2DA later. I'll get you an update when I got one. :cheers:

I do recall encountering in some 2da (can’t remember which one, could have been appearance for all I know) that the numbers in the id label skipped over two numbers, which caused the shown numbers and the actual row numbers to not match, which broke things (and fixing the row numbers fixed the issue). Just in case, be on lookout for those?

• Like 1

The row label does nothing and is only there for viewing convenience. The game only cares about what the actual line number is. K2's placeables.2da is a good example of this; numbers 281 through 290 repeat, so everything from 291 on is off by 10.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:55 PM, DarthParametric said:

If the IDs were starred out I would guess that is what is causing grief. Never do that.

Label IDs (Name)? or Row Label IDs (Number)? I did indeed replace the Label IDs that broke with "****" but I wouldn't suspect that would break the 2da so I took @JCarter426 and @LiliArch's advice and I checked out the Row Label ID numbers and sure enough I found a typo.

How it's meant to be:                   How I did it:
605                                                 605

606                                                 606

607                                                 505

608                                                 607

I think as long as I don't make typos in the 2da file I should be good, thank you guys for your assistance.

@ebmarIf you do go ahead with checking for me and it does break then we'll both know for sure that any typos in the 2da will break it.

• Like 2