Cinder Skye

What creates the tinting effect on Death Field, and what determines the texture name?

I'm trying to mod death field so it doesn't use a purple tinted version of lightning but instead is visually distinct to match the appearance of drain. Not having any luck. 

It's a model. If you check visualeffects.2da, you should be able to get the model name (which is usually v_something) and edit the model from there. Visual effects are typically particle emitters, so you don't need much in the way of modeling skills to change something like the color.

Well, at least I know I was on the right track. Thanks.

Unfortunately, 3DS Max is way out of my depth; I've done a bit with Blender in Skyrim but after a week of various struggles to do anything in 3DS Max I didn't get anywhere. My guess was the model but when I loaded it into 3DS Max via KotORMax I was just staring at empty space.

So @Sith Holocron was kind enough to try to help me out and made some progress -- there's at least two (but it seems like there may be more) textures involved in Death Field. fx_beam03 is also involved as an overlay. Making this file orange tinted was a partial fix. When I try Orange FX_beam03 with blue fx_lightning, there appears to be no color on the beam except that the electricity is brighter white than I remembered. Which makes the next part make sense: when I tried orange fx_beam03 with orange fx_lightning, the combination makes a purple-pink lightning effect for death field (as opposed to the original attempt to replace lightning with drain texture, making a purple lightning effect).

So fx_beam03 appears to be part of the overlay but not all of the effect that causes tinting. Since orange and blue are opposites, it comes out white when fx_beam03-modified is combined with blue lightning, but when combined with red lightning there's another blue or purple source in there somewhere.

There's also the issue that there doesn't seem to be any way to make orange death field without making force storm a warm color as well.