Sign in to follow this  
Ahsana

K1 Taris Dueling Arena lighting and colors - file names?

Hello,

I've recently been able to use the KOTOR Tool and it is just so exciting.

I'm really interested in adjusting the lighting and colors in the Taris dueling arena because the overall feel/atmosphere just seems too sterile to me and I want to create a particular atmosphere/vibe/feel with lighting/color (even though I haven't decided exactly what kind of atmosphere yet).

I found this fascinating mod by @DarthParametric which gave me some clues about where to find some of the files that control this. The tga files in Lightpack 2 seem to all change different aspects of the upper cantina aesthetics (like the wall colors and what not), and I found one that changed much of the dueling ring colors on the floors and walls (so exciting).

Questions:

1. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the files that control the texture/light/colors in the dueling arena and which ones control that overall? For the time being, I'm mainly only interested in TGAs as I can edit those.

2. Does anyone know what files control the lights in the arena? The dueling arena has ceiling lights,  wall lights, and lights behind the audience, which are all white-ish. It would be great if I could change those to red lighting or something like that.

I would really appreciate any help figuring out which files are which, and how the lighting works. Some of the cantina lights are colors and they blink, which would be fascinating for the dueling arena as well. (I don't know where the cantina light files are either.)

If I finish the arena I'll upload it to share!

Edited by Ahsana

Lights are in the level models. But Odyssey uses baked lighting, so those lights aren't the ones that actually light the scene.  If you wanted to change the lighting, you'd have to recreate the lighting in Max/GMax and bake new lightmaps. Pretty much nobody does that because it is a complete pain in the ass (and in many cases impossible to accurately recreate anyway).

• Thanks 1

Hmm. I guess the other question would be if the lightmap files for lighting can be renamed and dropped in the override folder (trade them out)?

Edited by Ahsana

Lightmaps are assigned per mesh in the same way as diffuse maps, so no, they can't be renamed without editing every instance of a mesh that uses them. But that wouldn't gain you any real advantage anyway.  You can edit the lightmaps and place them in the Override. They are unique, so there is no issue with doing so. However, you won't get much mileage out of trying to manually edit them. I think this is the sole lightmap for the entire arena:

m02ae_07a_lm0.jpg.28d5911b1fa9414adf88096ae6615ee0.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Lightmaps are assigned per mesh in the same way as diffuse maps, so no, they can't be renamed without editing every instance of a mesh that uses them. But that wouldn't gain you any real advantage anyway.  You can edit the lightmaps and place them in the Override. They are unique, so there is no issue with doing so. However, you won't get much mileage out of trying to manually edit them. I think this is the sole lightmap for the entire arena:

m02ae_07a_lm0.jpg.28d5911b1fa9414adf88096ae6615ee0.jpg

Ah. Man. That is the one I found. I was hoping it was only the tip of the iceberg haha. I edited it by adjusting the hue and color balance in Photoshop and changed it to reddish. This made the entire floor and walls red, though there seems to be still another file with a brown pattern affecting  some of the ceiling that I can't find yet. I wasn't planning on being particular about the details of files, but just using Photoshop to adjust hue and color balance, e.g. currently the dueling arena is red instead of white. The details of the map I will leave alone as there is no way I can fathom how that works and wouldn't try to.

Typically a level will have numerous lightmaps. I believe the Upper City Cantina, of which the arena is but a small part, has something like 60.

The ceiling of the arena uses the same lightmap as the rest of it. Your problem is likely that the lightmap is terrible and the area in question is only a few pixels.

• Thanks 1

This makes sense - the brown is probably just "off-red" in the same file. I also wonder if the white light is in there too as often times white remains after a simple hue/color adjustment.