Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Movie Style Overhaul

I have to say, very impressed, but I think for example- 

I liked your old Telos better in some ways, I understand you're trying to modernise the game(s) but I think straying too far from the atmosphere of the original version is a mistake. I think for example, Halo 2 Anniversary is the perfect way to do such an overhaul. 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, Sam Fisher said:

I have to say, very impressed, but I think for example- 

I liked your old Telos better in some ways, I understand you're trying to modernise the game(s) but I think straying too far from the atmosphere of the original version is a mistake.

Well, back then when did those 2 Telos iterations, the role model for Telos was Deus Ex Mankind Divided.  However, now, there's much more inspiration to draw on at the Star Wars Universe like BF2 or Jedi Fallen Order.

Also, since I wasn't totally convinced how it turned out, I decided to redo  the overall design again (for the last time i hope), to sth similar to this, which is the exact way I would imagine Citadel in 2020:

michael-anderson-swbfii-michaelanderson-19.thumb.jpg.191ec813aecb8b31dd9e67c208699fc0.jpg

I liked your old Telos better in some ways, I understand you're trying to modernise the game(s) but I think straying too far from the atmosphere of the original version is a mistake. I think for example, Halo 2 Anniversary is the perfect way to do such an overhaul. 

I respectfully disagree. I've taken a look at Halo 2 Anniversary, and while its good, i feel it could/should have been taken further. 

For me, if you're talking about a "perfect" overhaul = Remake. E.g. something like Resident Evil 2 Remake - which is something totally out of reach for KotOR though. 

What we can do is to be inspired by Games like above and make textures from scratch which is much better in my opinion than just 1:1 using the vanilla designs & colors. (if you want to see how it looks first hand i could send you some files too)

-----------------

When talking about designs, I completely understand that going for non Star Wars games like Mankind Divided is not a good idea, things should feel authentic after all. That means for me you should feel your in the Star Wars universe on every corner of the game - as I said above, now i finally have enough resources to get the inspiration from to do that - a bit like the SWTOR overhaul back then but with a much greater pool of realistic designs to draw on.

Yeah, that's totally fair- but as you say, it can only be taken so far without starting to replace models etc, but I will say, what I mean is less adhering to the exact designs present in KOTOR 1 & 2, and more the atmosphere- KOTOR 2 for example is very renowned for feeling grey, gritty, and looking that way in some respects. It's the most realistic take on the SW universe I've ever seen without losing the magic so to speak. Especially in KOTOR, with it's theming you feel all the planets are "broken"  in some way and it shows in their appearance. I took another look at your V1 and V2 Telos, and I only wish we could have both, as each looks phenominal. 

I'm particularly interested in how you'll handle a planet like Dxun, that's mainly a forest. 

If I must give you one piece of advice it's not to you use that Twi'lek graphic you created or anything like it, as nice as it is- it really takes you out of the immersion when you see a character model that's clearly too high poly to be actually anywhere within the world. I think in such a case, less is more. Oh! And please keep the fishes behind the Swoop manager, that was amazing. Also, for certain textures I remember you once said XNVIEW was required, but I've often found turning them upside down achieves the same affect. 

Good luck, your work is truly phenominal. I can't wait to see what both games look like in 2026 when you're done. Haha (: 

3 hours ago, Sam Fisher said:

Yeah, that's totally fair- but as you say, it can only be taken so far without starting to replace models etc, but I will say, what I mean is less adhering to the exact designs present in KOTOR 1 & 2, and more the atmosphere- KOTOR 2 for example is very renowned for feeling grey, gritty, and looking that way in some respects. It's the most realistic take on the SW universe I've ever seen without losing the magic so to speak. Especially in KOTOR, with it's theming you feel all the planets are "broken"  in some way and it shows in their appearance. I took another look at your V1 and V2 Telos, and I only wish we could have both, as each looks phenomenal. 

I'm particularly interested in how you'll handle a planet like Dxun, that's mainly a forest. 

If I must give you one piece of advice it's not to you use that Twi'lek graphic you created or anything like it, as nice as it is- it really takes you out of the immersion when you see a character model that's clearly too high poly to be actually anywhere within the world. I think in such a case, less is more. Oh! And please keep the fishes behind the Swoop manager, that was amazing. Also, for certain textures I remember you once said XNVIEW was required, but I've often found turning them upside down achieves the same affect. 

Good luck, your work is truly phenomenal. I can't wait to see what both games look like in 2026 when you're done. Haha 🙂

No no my friend. There's no way it will take that long to finish. In fact , the project has taken some serious progress on both games, K1 and 2, while I haven't posted screenshots yet.  The fish screen on Telos I'm afraid I've already exchanged for some in my opinion better suiting, more Star Wars like designs (still have the old file in case you guys insist on those):
(Keep in mind that I might add Godrays & Ray Tracing later)

K2_00025_1.thumb.png.d8e0dbc2738d19ac8cf8f25ee96c59de.png

K2_00026_1.thumb.png.8306159e96fe5b40dff3df67e0cda07b.png

I completely agree that KotOR shouldn't lose its magic, but modernizing some of its art design i feel should positively add to the immersion instead.  I don't know if you have played Jedi Fallen Order yet, but it's a blast in atmosphere and I immediately found myself wish for a KotOR with those graphics...

I don't want to spoil graphics yet, but here some custom designs that I use, - and there are much more not revealed yet -  tell me what you guys think: 

3.thumb.png.b5ea494fabc4ad9088fa007e30052831.png

2.thumb.png.c5ae18747585969a1f17002238615d38.png

some pazaak cards:

4.png.758cdbc7c88ba50ec25221ed18f2a15e.png5.png.07cf88c5e46fe592a29f7e068568d8b4.png

Peragus (it is rich shadowed in game, but the contrast is more balanced in game:

K2_00028_1.thumb.png.170aaa0de5f3a49ff57353f7252a02f9.png

K2_00029_1.thumb.png.05ac534cc3e39ae567e0aae98b6bbd38.png