Salk

KotOR: HD Commoner's and alien clothes?

Hello!

Does anyone know of any attempt made in the past to reskin commoners and aliens wearing normal clothes?

I seem to recall that only spacealex did work on it with good result in his incomplete K1 enhancement pack. Every time there is a close up during a dialogue scene I can't help but cringe... :)

You could do something like VP's Onderon Traveler Clothing mod and swap the commoner clothing models out for that. And now with the porting rules being relaxed, you could back-port it to K1.

There are also some higher res commoner clothes texture variants in TSL, which again could be back-ported to K1.

Speaking of the TSL textures, there's one there that I don't even remember seeing in the game, but it would probably make a good basis for some colour variants (probably more so for females):

TSL_Commoner_Clothing_Variant_09_TH.jpg

Edit: Here are a few quick palette swaps for the female version that you could add as new variants or replace existing ones with - https://www.darthparametric.com/files/kotor/tsl/[TSL]_Commoner_Female_Texture_Variants.7z

• Like 2

It seems the following files are among the worst offenders:

N_TwilekM(x)01.tga

N_TwilekF(x)01.tga

with a low 256x256 resolution.  

55 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Head textures? Those are no better in TSL, so you'd have to see if there are any mods that have made a higher res retexture. None spring to mind.

No, those are body textures.

SpaceAlex did some work in his K1 Enhancement mod and provided a couple higher resolution replacements.

43 minutes ago, Salk said:

No, those are body textures.

Ah, sorry, yeah. The Twi'lek body textures are the same in TSL as K1, all 256x256. It's the head textures that have some larger 512x512 versions in TSL. Although there are the twin assassins. They have larger body textures, and it's just the standard Twi'lek female body model. You could repurpose those. There are already a few mods based on those. A notable one being @redrob41's Luxa mod, which makes a nice hot pants version.

3 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

As long as we're talking about NPC clothes, I'd like to point out there are two unused models:

That's cool. I don't remember seeing that thug one. The chest kind of reminds me of an armour in TOR that I quite like.

2 hours ago, Salk said:

It seems the following files are among the worst offenders:

N_TwilekM(x)01.tga

N_TwilekF(x)01.tga

with a low 256x256 resolution.

2 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Head textures? Those are no better in TSL, so you'd have to see if there are any mods that have made a higher res retexture. None spring to mind.

Actually there're hi-res Twilek's textures around, if I recall the discussion correctly. As far as I know they're Quanons Twilek Outfits, scaling up to 2048x2048 for the body, and for the head there is NPC And PC Pack High Resolution Version 2, scaling up to 512x512.

I am completely ignorant about reskinning and retexturing so please correct me if I am wrong but I seemed to notice that in many cases lots of details are gone, often due to the colors being much more washed out and returning an image that looks way more "flat" than the original, low res one.

This is what made me stick to original textures in many cases, especially when I was involved in selecting which should be included in my now defunct project.

31 minutes ago, Salk said:

I am completely ignorant about reskinning and retexturing so please correct me if I am wrong but I seemed to notice that in many cases lots of details are gone, often due to the colors being much more washed out and returning an image that looks way more "flat" than the original, low res one.

This is what made me stick to original textures in many cases, especially when I was involved in selecting which should be included in my now defunct project.

I think I get the picture, and lately think about that too; which is the result from me to having to play the game with a clean install from a mod testing.

There's that fascinating looks of the vanilla tone and shady feeling from its low-res texture. Recently I noticed that most with the vanilla Jedi robe.

599430693_VanillaJediRobe.thumb.png.0f217598bc190614692419622d979df2.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Salk said:

I seemed to notice that in many cases lots of details are gone, often due to the colors being much more washed out and returning an image that looks way more "flat" than the original, low res one.

That's because most textures mods are pretty crap. If you see "HD" anywhere in the title, nine times out ten you can just roll your eyes and close the tab. The aforementioned redrob is one of the few modders that I could unequivocally recommend when it comes to textures.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

That's because most textures mods are pretty crap. If you see "HD" anywhere in the title, nine times out ten you can just roll your eyes and close the tab. The aforementioned redrob is one of the few modders that I could unequivocally recommend when it comes to textures.

Haha, oh my. Thanks for the suggestion DP! Anyways, did you happen to know what software was used by BioWare for texturing back then?

Not sure. Photoshop 6.0 is a good possibility, it came out in 2000. Or they may have still been on 5.0/5.5.  Alternatively, they might have been using PaintShop Pro 6 or 7 which was pretty big at the time. I'm not sure there's any hard evidence either way. We do know for sure they used 3DS Max for the modelling though (probably v4, the same one GMax is based off).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1