Is there anyone here who could guide me through the process of changing out the model for particular items of clothing/armor (e.g. Combat Suit model to Clothing model)?

It's a simple as swapping the appropriate values in appearance.2da, but be aware that you will affect all variants of that armour class. There's no way of changing just a single variant, outside of using a custom disguise base item to replicate the armour class stats/penalties (and disguises have their own issues).

In the case of Combat Armour that should be armour class 4, which you can check by opening the UTC in KTool. The classes correspond to body models like so:

Armor_Class_4 - PMBC/PFBC

Armor_Class_5 - PMBD/PFBD

Armor_Class_6 - PMBE/PFBE

Armor_Class_7 - PMBF/PFBF

Armor_Class_8 - PMBG/PFBG

Armor_Class_9 - PMBH/PFBH

So to change class 4 armour you'd change the ModelC and TexC columns of appearance.2da to the appropriate clothes model and texture, keeping in mind that all armours of that class would then be using the clothes model (and would require enough texture variants to cover all items).

• Like 2

It's a simple as swapping the appropriate values in appearance.2da, but be aware that you will affect all variants of that armour class. There's no way of changing just a single variant, outside of using a custom disguise base item to replicate the armour class stats/penalties (and disguises have their own issues).

In the case of Combat Armour that should be armour class 4, which you can check by opening the UTC in KTool. The classes correspond to body models like so:

Armor_Class_4 - PMBC/PFBC

Armor_Class_5 - PMBD/PFBD

Armor_Class_6 - PMBE/PFBE

Armor_Class_7 - PMBF/PFBF

Armor_Class_8 - PMBG/PFBG

Armor_Class_9 - PMBH/PFBH

So to change class 4 armour you'd change the ModelC and TexC columns of appearance.2da to the appropriate clothes model and texture, keeping in mind that all armours of that class would then be using the clothes model (and would require enough texture variants to cover all items).

All right. This would be done using KOTOR Tool, or something else? And is there some fairly convenient way to check to see what class a particular item would be?

All right. This would be done using KOTOR Tool, or something else?

You can do it in KTool, but personally I find it too clunky for that sort of thing. Any 2DA editing I do is via Convert2DA. Extract the relevant 2DA/s, use Convert2DA to convert to a tab delimited text file, open in Excel or other spreadsheet program, edit as appropriate, save back out as tab delimited text, use Convert2DA again to convert back to a 2DA. It's a far more practical route when making extensive changes and incremental revisions.

And is there some fairly convenient way to check to see what class a particular item would be?

You'll probably want to check the armour UTIs to see what appearance it uses. If you are doing it via looking at items in-game, you can use KSE to see the tag of what you have equipped. K1 uses the actual class name as the tag, so that makes life easy, but for TSL you'll need to open the UTI. Plus the in-game description should tell you want armour class a given item is.

• Like 1

Hint when looking at it in-game: Defense of armor = Armor Class, barring any special properties. Another help is the Max Dex thing; the Max Dex for Armor Class 4 items is 5, and this goes down by 1 all the way to 0 going up the Armor Class items.

• Like 1

Evidently I'm doing something quite wrong, because after several tests, I have not managed to change anything in-game.

What I did was open up KOTOR Tool and the 2da editor. I then made changes to and saved the appearance.2da file found in the Override folder (since I couldn't find any others). No effects observed in-game, even when they pretty clearly SHOULD have been.

Ideas?

1. If this is K2, do you use anything from the Workshop?

2. When editing the appearance.2da file, do you click on some other random entry before saving? This needs to be done so KT can recognize a cell being changed.

1. If this is K2, do you use anything from the Workshop?

2. When editing the appearance.2da file, do you click on some other random entry before saving? This needs to be done so KT can recognize a cell being changed.

1. I assume you mean Steam Workshop, in which case no.

2. I think that most to all of my edits involved multiple entries, so that's probably not the problem.

One thing that isn't quite clear to me though, your intention is to change absolutely all armors with the combat suit model to use the clothing model, or just one particular item ingame (like echani light suit or whatever) without touching other armors using the combat suit model?

One thing that isn't quite clear to me though, your intention is to change absolutely all armors with the combat suit model to use the clothing model, or just one particular item ingame (like echani light suit or whatever) without touching other armors using the combat suit model?

I wasn't actually going to swap those two particular models. I just used that as an example of the sort of thing I was trying to do.

If you haven't resolved your problem then attach the 2DA for someone to take a look at.

All right... I was going to do that, but the website won't allow me to. Any ideas why?

A quick scan would suggest the primary change is setting the Onderon Commoner model for players as model B. The texture names you specified are not the vanilla ones, so I assume you have made your own variants? What is the issue you are having exactly?

A quick scan would suggest the primary change is setting the Onderon Commoner model for players as model B. The texture names you specified are not the vanilla ones, so I assume you have made your own variants? What is the issue you are having exactly?

That actually was not a change that I was making - that was already in place from a different mod. At the moment I don't believe that any of my changes are present in the 2DA (I changed them back).

My problem is this: I would change the values in certain model and texture columns (based on the 2DA guide posted here) for specific character appearances (certain party members or the PC appearances), based on the values I found in the other columns, but there was no difference in the game when I tested it out. For example, one quick test I did after I realized that there was a problem was to change the model value for clothing to that of one of the armor classes - absolutely nothing was different in-game.

I'm not sure what the point of uploading a 2DA that doesn't have any of your changes was. Hard to check if you did something wrong if there is nothing to check.

You're not using the Steam version with TSLRCM or some other mod via the Workshop are you?

I'm not sure what the point of uploading a 2DA that doesn't have any of your changes was. Hard to check if you did something wrong if there is nothing to check.

You're not using the Steam version with TSLRCM or some other mod via the Workshop are you?

Point taken. Here's a version with my changes in it - mainly to modell and texl columns, as well as to Handmaiden's modela and texaevil.

I am not using the Steam version.

I'm new at this - please bear with me.

Point taken. Here's a version with my changes in it - mainly to modell and texl columns, as well as to Handmaiden's modela and texaevil.

I am not using the Steam version.

I'm new at this - please bear with me.

Just so you know, the modell and texl columns are normally blank for males, so you'd need a new .uti file that uses the Dancer Outfit baseitem class OR edit the Dancer's Outfit (g_danceroutfit.uti) to remove the gender restriction. Similarly, the Dancer's Outfit is the only item that uses the modell and texl columns.

Just so you know, the modell and texl columns are normally blank for males, so you'd need a new .uti file that uses the Dancer Outfit baseitem class OR edit the Dancer's Outfit (g_danceroutfit.uti) to remove the gender restriction. Similarly, the Dancer's Outfit is the only item that uses the modell and texl columns.

I think you might not get what exactly what I'm trying to do here - I'm just trying to change what shows when the Dancer's Outfit is equipped.

Okay, time for some questions:

1. Do you run KotOR Tool as an admin?

2. Open a .2da file and immediately save it to the Override folder. Is the file actually there in your Override folder?