superSzym

[Request] Serious looking Republic troopers

I already have the helmet models done, but my PC troubles have them on the back burner. I still have to skin them. Or if someone wants they can take them over and finish them. The bodies is another thing, but yes they need work badly. Never liked the whole teardrop/appleseed helmet and wetsuit uniform.

post-19611-0-78225800-1485282816_thumb.png

post-19611-0-51711100-1485282845_thumb.png

I already have the helmet models done, but my PC troubles have them on the back burner. I still have to skin them. Or if someone wants they can take them over and finish them. The bodies is another thing, but yes they need work badly. Never liked the whole teardrop/appleseed helmet and wetsuit uniform.

Those are neat but honestly remind me far too much of Anakin's pod racing helmet and the helmets of the Naboo pilots. 

The helmet shown in the OP is smooth and crisp, the visor covers the nose and eyes, the visor is one long piece without a nose guard of any kind- and there's padding at least, on the sides of the jaw. 

In fact it's a lot like Dredd's helmet. 

And, it's more round. Doesn't have a rebel spike on the end and ends near the neck. Also, the visor should end with a narrow part on the proper helmet. And those big round joints should be actually much smaller and look like a rectangle with half of a circle.

• Like 1

Those are neat but honestly remind me far too much of Anakin's pod racing helmet and the helmets of the Naboo pilots. 

The helmet shown in the OP is smooth and crisp, the visor covers the nose and eyes, the visor is one long piece without a nose guard of any kind- and there's padding at least, on the sides of the jaw. 

In fact it's a lot like Dredd's helmet. 

yeah i have a few types of helmets in my models. My WIP thread has quite a few in there) And these were an attempt to do what the OP suggested, only i gave up months and months ago, never got far with it. RL issues, PC probs. It's whatever now. Not really a big deal if nobody wants them. Or i could attempt to make them as an alternate at some point and take the suggestions from this thread.

I was actually trying to go for the look you were getting from it, because i figure most security forces would be using very old but still serviceable equipment, even if it was from the old republic era. Case in point the hammerhead, Z-95 headhunter, etc... continuity of style so to speak. I do like the picture of the republic troopers (TOR story board) and i think i have a helmet roughly based on that for another mod i was tossing around,  but it is different enough not to work as a republic helmet.

Hello everyone!

As promised, I got some time to do some modeling, here it is: ( It is just a quick and dirty model and texture, just to see, if I go into the right direction)

RepublicSoldierNewHelmet WIP

As it is now, there´s a hole on the top, that needs to be filled, and the overall shape of the top doesn´t appear to be right to me, but as I said, I just want to show some kind of "pre-pre-Alpha-Stuff" :D

so what do you think? 

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

As promised, I got some time to do some modeling, here it is: ( It is just a quick and dirty model and texture, just to see, if I go into the right direction)

As it is now, there´s a hole on the top, that needs to be filled, and the overall shape of the top doesn´t appear to be right to me, but as I said, I just want to show some kind of "pre-pre-Alpha-Stuff" :D

so what do you think? 

Looks good! You may want to actually slap that onto a Republic Soldiers head to make sure it's a "quick and dirty" model because from what I see it's perfect (I'd recommend making the Visor a bit transparent) For the body i'd suggest using the Republic Officer model and making a new skin for it.

I'd like to warn you if you actually modify the Republic Soldier models the Republic corpses on the Endar Spire/Star Forge/Manaan will break (Nothing game breaking it'll just look weird).

Silveredge9 has said this within this thread- http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/4723-new-playable-character-in-tsl-matilda-from-brotherhood-of-shadows/?do=findComment&comment=49414 So that should mean you should be allowed to use his assets.

Something that I should mention Cache71 is making a mod similar to this but instead of using the republic mask Silveregde9 used she's going to use the standard republic head with the Bicycle helmet (I can't find a link but she has uploaded it to the Playground site the one which has the graphical modification on it, It works fairly good except the corpse placeables are messed up)

Wait, another KOTOR modding site?

GIVE ME THE LINK NOAW.

Hello everyone!

so what do you think?

Perfect love it!

Looks good! You may want to actually slap that onto a Republic Soldiers head to make sure it's a "quick and dirty" model because from what I see it's perfect (I'd recommend making the Visor a bit transparent) For the body i'd suggest using the Republic Officer model and making a new skin for it.

I'd like to warn you if you actually modify the Republic Soldier models the Republic corpses on the Endar Spire/Star Forge/Manaan will break (Nothing game breaking it'll just look weird).

So one would have to replace the corpses to avoid that?

Wait, another KOTOR modding site?

GIVE ME THE LINK NOAW.

Trust me, you don't want it. It's Russian, and it's (mostly) a scrapyard.

Hello everyone!

so what do you think?

Is that a camera angle which deforms the helmet, or is it so flat because of it being "pre-Alpha"?

I´m glad to hear that you all like it!

Is that a camera angle which deforms the helmet, or is it so flat because of it being "pre-Alpha"?

I think, a bit of both. I just wanted to make a quik model to show you the picture of this thing I had in my mind. In addition, theres no "inside" yet, it´s completely empty, means no polys. And the helmet isn´t on a head.

I will refine this at weekend, put it on a republics soldiers head, and I will probably test how it looks ingame and post some screenshots of it!

As soon as I got the Head with the helmet running, I will continue creating the body armor( I think I will do some variants from the start off, so if I find a crazy but easy way to put them all ingame I can do more easily and we can choose from some)

Thanks man !

I don´t mind breaking the corpses, because it´s actual on my "nice to have"-List to make the corpses look "cool" as well.

• Like 1

yes the corpses have to be replaced as well, and they are in there in the models (plenty of corpses to work on) i have been waiting for a mod specifically just corpses that does more than retexture them. It would be kind of neat to see damage specific corpses too, like frozen or burnt, but that is another topic...

• Like 1

yes the corpses have to be replaced as well, and they are in there in the models (plenty of corpses to work on) i have been waiting for a mod specifically just corpses that does more than retexture them. It would be kind of neat to see damage specific corpses too, like frozen or burnt, but that is another topic...

Yeah, corpses with visible damages is exactly what I want to do as soon as this new armors are finished! But you´re right, that´s another topic

Ok here we go, had some time today to get more in touch with the helmet:

Don´t bother about the odd colors, that´s just the material Ids, as I removed the textures for better edititing.

I think I should have enough time this weekend to finish this head and also fit this helmet on the female head of the reps soldiers, and then I will export it ingame and provide you with some ingame screenshots as soon as possible!

ds_newRepHead01.pngds_newRepHead02.png

ds_newRepHead03.png

Of course there still many details missing, but I think this one goes into a nice direction, or not? what do you think?

• Like 1

I think this spike near the chicks should be shortened and adhere to the face a little more, this helmet also lack a mysterious hołd rectangle with round ending under the goggles and helmet joint, there's also a dent on the helmet near the ears and the goggles should end where the joint is, not go higher, also the part covering the tip of the head should start directly above the goggles joint, without that narrow red part. Also, for my personal tastes, the goggles could be narrower in terms of height. Those are just details though, otherwise a good concept indeed.

• Like 1

I think the colors are a bit too bright for my taste. I was thinking that maybe they should be muted a bit, but not so much that they will no longer contrast against the gray and dark colors of the Sith.

I think the colors are a bit too bright for my taste. I was thinking that maybe they should be muted a bit, but not so much that they will no longer contrast against the gray and dark colors of the Sith.

Don't bother about the odd colors, that´s just the material LDS, as I removed the textures for better editing.

Oh I must correct myself:

It should be "material Ids" not "material lds"

That's good idea. Maybe someone with skills could try to make completely new republic armors. Sith troops armors looks serious, even little bit scary - quite nice, republic armor is funny, especially helmets. 

He mentioned that the colors are just placeholders.

@thunder3

maxresdefault.jpg

Thought this might be a helpful observation, there seems to be a revisionist style in these videos and if you pay close attention, the Republic Soldier in the back you'll notice is consistent with the first image that was posted. Carth isn't in his KOTOR Bioware gear either- (But it is consistent with the KOTOR Comics) however in the background it seems  that just after the conflict of the Mandalorian Wars started the Republic refurbished their armor for a more combat role. 

16487636_751228521696707_751645077500810

I think this image is just before, or just at the start of the Mandalorian Wars- where then the armor transferred into a more combat ready role in the image this thread was initially posted with. 

That might also be helpful, to see what I'm talking about.

Now, when doing the body of these soldiers-

something I was wondering was if you do intend to keep it as close as possible to the first image posted in this thread- will the Republic soldiers have the sash they're shown with? 

I think it adds a lot to the design personally and find it helps differentiate them from the other factions in the time of the old Republic. 

LucyTheAlien

Thankyou for all this! That´s awesome! It was very helpful to me to see this helmet from different views when creating it now, and it will be a great help too, when I create the body( maybe tomorrow, I had a cold the weekend and I so I did not manage to work as much as I desired on that project here)

So here we go, my finished Model, with texture already, though I need to refine the UV-Map( as you can see, there are some seams in the texture )

ds_newRepHead01.1.png

ds_newRepHead02.1.png

ds_newRepHead03.1.png

Oh and yes I try to be as close to the images from that "cartoon" as possible!

Looks great, don't think you could ask for better really in all honestly.

I will say, when building the armor- make sure it's a high collar neck as leaving the back of their necks exposed in particular would look silly. Maybe look at Deadman's Jedi Master Robes for TSL to see what I mean in terms of modelling.

Oh I must correct myself:

It should be "material Ids" not "material lds"

I must be blind but what's the difference?