Sign in to follow this  
maltron66

The game is being a troll...

Oh boy. I really hoped that I would figure this out by myself, but my TSL game does not want to cooperate. But let's take this story from the top.

The first time I ever played TSL was on Windows XP. Everything worked like a charm. I then got a new PC with Win 7, tried the game on that PC, it worked flawlessly. And now, I'm playing TSL on my laptop, whose OS is Win 10. And while the game and most mods would work just fine, there were a couple of things I noticed.

First off, I can't use cheats. I just can't. I've modified the game's swkotor.ini file, I've enabled cheats, but the cheats do not work. That's not such a big deal, but I'd really love to be able to warp to different modules instantly. Anyway...

Second thing that doesn't work: the Whereami armband. You know, the thing that lets you get the coordinates of your character in any module? Well, I couldn't do that 24 hours ago (now I can, but that's something I'm going to explain below). I tried at least 3 different mods, but none of them would work.

And lastly, there's yet another thing that doesn't work: mods that install new feats or force powers. It's insane. Every other mods I've tried work like a charm, even on Win 10. But for some reason, the aforementioned type of mods does not work on my game. But I discovered that perhaps this has to do with the TSLPatcher.

You see, none of my "new force powers" mods would work, EXCEPT for one. This one, it worked like a charm. But there was a catch. This mod was NOT using the TSLPatcher. It's a different installer, which works just like the TSLPatcher, but it's not the same thing. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it's called (I've only got 2 mods that use this installer instead of the TSLPatcher, and neither of the creators of these 2 mods mentions the name of this installer. Anyway...

I didn't give much thought into that for some time. Until yesterday, it dawned on me: what if I copy this installer to the force powers I want to install but don't work and then attempt to install these mods using the new installer instead of the TSLPatcher? At first I thought that this was crazy, that it wouldn't work, but IT DID! And now, all these force powers that wouldn't appear in the game before are selectable now! And one of them is a Force Power that functions just like the Whereami armband, and IT WORKS TOO! Woohoo! After seeing this, I decided to uninstall the game and then make a fresh installation, after which I could install all my previous mods plus the new force powers in the right order, because some force powers were conflicting (not because of compatibility reasons, but because I tried installing some more than once and things got a little messed up). So, I uninstall everything, reinstall the game and I'm about to start reinstalling my mods.

Except one thing. The game is messing with me.

Because if that's not the case, then why else would the custom force powers I had installed appear in my NEW installation? They shouldn't even be there, everything else is gone! But the custom powers are there!
How is this happening? What the hell is causing it? And how do I fix it?

Dear DeadlyStream community... HEEEELP!

There could be left over files from the previous installation that were not properly deleted during the uninstallation of the game.

Check your Override folder and see if there are any files in there. If they are there, then the game has not been properly reinstalled.

Or are you using old savegames that had the mods installed? Then the Force powers would still be there but the icon and description should be missing and using them would probably crash the game.

Except that the override folder does not even exist. When I uninstalled the game, I made sure to erase EVERYTHING.There's no game folder, there's nothing in there!

However... When I reinstall the game, the game actually finds my previous save files, which leads me to believe that maybe NOT everything is deleted in the uninstallation process. Invisible folders, maybe?

As for the savegames... When I reinstalled the game, I checked out the saves to see if the force powers were still there, and they were. Funny thing is, some of them did have the icons and the descriptions on, some did not. Ughh...

After that, I deleted the old savegames and started a new one. On level up, I check if these new force powers are still there, and they are.

*sigh*

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the game once more, AFTER making sure to delete all previous savegames. If thay doesn't work, well...I dunno. I guess I'll just have to go with a messed up game. It won't look pretty, but at least it'll work. For the most part.

Try looking for your saves/files at C:\Users\[user Name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\Saves

Ookay.... So the game decided to quit messing around after all. Now it works just fine... And I did not have to reinstall it again. I just started a new game, and when I leveled up my char, the custom force powers were not there. Started a new game 3 more times to make sure that it wasn't just a temporary mishap and it was confirmed-the game now works like it was supposed to. But now I'm baffled as to why the game would not work properly the other night: I started a new game, and when I got to the leveling up part, the custom force powers were there, even though it was the game was a fresh installation! And I'm 99% sure it was not an older savegame, because I remember trying some stuff with KSE on T3 in the prologue! I guess what I really had to do to fix the game was to create a thread here for no reason to make a fool out of myself... Like I said, game was trollin'. But hey, at least I can get the new force powers to work now. At least that's what I hope.

So thank you to all who wasted their time for no reason bothering with this thread. xD

Sith Holocron: Sorry for the late reply. I'm using the GOG version of TSL... Although I don't know if that has anything to do with the craziness the game put me through before straightening up.

Hassat Hunter: Mmm... I just looked that folder up. It was there, but it was empty. Like I said, I deleted everything inside the KOTOR 2 folder after the first uninstallation, including the save files. Maybe the saves located in thr folder you specified are tied to the save folder in the C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\SWKOTORII\saves, which I deleted during the uninstallation the first time?

DarthParamedic And I'm telling you that you can. If you asked me yesterday, I'd tell you that it's impossible, but after seeing it for myself, Im telling you: it works. And no, it's not the TSLPatcher witb a different name. If it was, I think I would notice.

Look, Im telling you. This thing works just like the TSLPatcher, but it's not the same patcher! It's not the .exe named "TSLPatcher.exe" that has the size of 666KBs! It's a different one! It has a different icon and its interface is a little more old-looking (it looks like something that came straight out from Windows XP) compared to the more "stylish" look of the TSLPatcher.

Do you have a mod called "Force Exhaustion", which adds 2 new force powers to the game? Or a mod named "flamethrower", which adds a new flamethrower weapon that you can equip like an armband? These 2 mods use this very installer!

Ugh. Screw it. When i get home, I'll take screenshots of the icons and the interface this patcher uses. Maybe that'll help.

DarthParamedic And I'm telling you that you can. If you asked me yesterday, I'd tell you that it's impossible, but after seeing it for myself, Im telling you: it works. And no, it's not the TSLPatcher witb a different name. If it was, I think I would notice.

Look, Im telling you. This thing works just like the TSLPatcher, but it's not the same patcher! It's not the .exe named "TSLPatcher.exe" that has the size of 666KBs! It's a different one! It has a different icon and its interface is a little more old-looking (it looks like something that came straight out from Windows XP) compared to the more "stylish" look of the TSLPatcher.

Do you have a mod called "Force Exhaustion", which adds 2 new force powers to the game? Or a mod named "flamethrower", which adds a new flamethrower weapon that you can equip like an armband? These 2 mods use this very installer!

Both mods by LitRidl, right? Well, it's still good old TSLPatcher (one of the earlier versions, IIRC). He just modified it's icon.

You can also confirm that it's TSL Patcher by checking if there's a folder called "tslpatchdata" that has all the mod files (that is unless TSL Patcher did not have that folder back then). Because as DarthParametric said: Putting a random executable into a TSL Patcher folder won't magically work.

DeadMan: Aha! I expected it to be some sort of variation of the TSLPatcher, because like I said, it functions in the exact same way that the TSLPatcher functions. The difference is that, for some reason, the "new" TSLPatcher won't install new force powers and feats on my game which again, I play on Win 10 (this might be the key factot here, the OS), while the old one gets the job done. Why this happens, I don't know.

Kexikus: Dude, I know what the TSLPatcher is. I might be a little stupid, but I'm not stupid enough to not be able to tell when a mod uses the TSLPatcher. xD
The older installer also has the "tslpatchdata" folder where everything that must be installed, replaced or modified to make a mod work is located. That's not the point of interest here. The point of interest is the .exe you run to install the mod. I've said it a million times already and I'll say it again: It is NOT the exact same installer with just a different icon. This "earlier" version of the TSLPatcher got my force powers mods to work. The "current" TSLPatcher did not. And that's not just me saying this, it's my computer too. Still don't believe me? Download one of the mods I mentioned above (Force Exhaustion or Flamethrower, both made by Lit Ridl). Then copy the .exe installer from the mod you just downloaded, paste it inside the folder of a different mod and then try to install this mod with the "fake" installer. You will then see for yourself that it will work. Whether this has to do with magic or not, I don't know. But I bet my arse that it has to do with the OS. There's no other explanation.
I wish someone would believe me. But if you guys are not going to believe me, I'm not going to try and convince you. That's not the reason why I started this thread anyway.

Below I'm posting images of the icons of each patcher. It turns out that I was wrong when I said that each patcher has a different interface. But still, they're not the same.
This is the normal TSLPatcher that we all know and love: http://m.imgur.com/1ucTchx
And this is the older version of it, the one that got my force powers to work. I call it the Mint Patcher: http://m.imgur.com/5JPaOql

I belive You when You say that an older Version of TSL patcher Works on your OS while The New Version doesn't (for whatever reason).

The Thing that wasn't believable was when You claimed This other installer were something completely different.

Also, I did not intend to call You stupid, I just wanted to Show You a different method of telling whether or not a mod uses TSL patcher.

Kex: I'm glad to hear that someone doesn't think I just made that up! Perhaps I chose my words poorly when I said that this "mystery" patcher is not the TSLPatcher. I meant to say that it's not the exact same version, it wasn't the very commonly used TSLPatcher with just a different .exe name like Paramedic pointed out. As it turns out, it's an earlier version, which means that it IS the TSLPatcher, but it's not THE most common version of it. In the end of the day, we were both right. Well, you guys were more right than I was, but at least I wasn't just babling nonsense. xD

And no worries about the stupid part-I know that I'm stupid (I believe that we all are to some degree), I just meant to say that even someone like me can tell when a mod uses the Patcher to be installed... Although I believe that searching for a folder named "tslpatchdata" within a mod is kinda...well, stupid. I mean, all you need to do is check if there's an executable file that must be used in order for the mod to be installed. What this .exe is named and whether it's the new or the old TSLPatcher is irrelevant.

Side-note: Sorry for triple posting, Sith Holocron! That was unintentional, believe me. Won't happen again:)