Todd Hellid

[KotOR] NPC Overhaul Mod 1.01

What issues will this mod cause, in your experience?

I tried installing it before installing K1R (as hinted in K1R v1.2 readme), and up to now I see no issues. Yet.

I would guess that if you install it before K1R, K1R will replace some files edited by NPC Overhaul and thus negates the changes. It should not break the game but you won't get the full NPCOverhaul mod either.

I did get the following "warnings" upon installation of K1R, though:

• Warning: A file named korr_m33aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m33ab.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m34aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m35aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m36aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m38aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m38ab.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named korr_m39aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...
 • Warning: A file named manm27aa.mod already exists in the modules folder. Skipping file...

So... it seems to affect Korriban and Manaan?

Since I'm still yet to leave Taris, I might not have experienced the problems.

What installer did you use? The TSLPatcher version or the original one?

TSLPatcher one. I think.

Installing NPC Overhaul and then K1R will result in K1R's levels overwriting the changes NPC Overhaul made to those levels only.

Hmmm... the installation log that I quoted above seems to say that K1R skipped overwriting those levels.

I think I'll just copy & overwrite those files manually over the NPC Overhaul's ones.

That's why I asked for the installer. Let me explain how these files work first. The game uses .rim files for each level to store their data. These files are basically containers including all the necessary files that make up a level. Now, you could just modify the files inside that .rim file but that would be irreversible without reinstalling the game, so instead you can copy a file from the .rim to your Override directory and modify it there. This file in the override will now be used instead of the original one from the .rim but can easily be uninstalled by simply deleting it. The game will then use the original one again.

But there can be several reasons why you don't want a certain file in your override and that's where the .mod files come into play. .mod files are basically copies of the .rim files in that they also store all the necessary files but if both a .mod and a .rim file exists for the same level, the .mod file will be used. So similar to a file in the override, you can safely delete the .mod and the game will use the original again. This makes compability a problem however since there are many files in each .mod and most mods only edit some of them. If they'd just provide the .mod file you could only install one of them, that's why TSLPatcher is so useful.

TSLPatcher will edit the files already existing in a .mod file instead of replacing the entire .mod. But since the .mod files do not exist by default, mod authors ship a .mod file that includes all the unedited level files with their mod. TSLPatcher will then install this .mod and make all the changes inside unless the .mod already existed. Then it will just edit the one already there. And this is exactly the reason for your warnings.

Don't worry about them, they won't cause any troubles, but if you copy the .mod files from K1R into your mod folder you will revert all changes made to them by both NPCOverhaul and K1R since what you're copying is the unmodified version.

Sorry for the long text, but I hope that this explanation can make things clearer for you when it comes to installing mods.

• Like 1

That's why I asked for the installer. Let me explain how these files work first. The game uses .rim files for each level to store their data. These files are basically containers including all the necessary files that make up a level. Now, you could just modify the files inside that .rim file but that would be irreversible without reinstalling the game, so instead you can copy a file from the .rim to your Override directory and modify it there. This file in the override will now be used instead of the original one from the .rim but can easily be uninstalled by simply deleting it. The game will then use the original one again.

But there can be several reasons why you don't want a certain file in your override and that's where the .mod files come into play. .mod files are basically copies of the .rim files in that they also store all the necessary files but if both a .mod and a .rim file exists for the same level, the .mod file will be used. So similar to a file in the override, you can safely delete the .mod and the game will use the original again. This makes compability a problem however since there are many files in each .mod and most mods only edit some of them. If they'd just provide the .mod file you could only install one of them, that's why TSLPatcher is so useful.

TSLPatcher will edit the files already existing in a .mod file instead of replacing the entire .mod. But since the .mod files do not exist by default, mod authors ship a .mod file that includes all the unedited level files with their mod. TSLPatcher will then install this .mod and make all the changes inside unless the .mod already existed. Then it will just edit the one already there. And this is exactly the reason for your warnings.

Don't worry about them, they won't cause any troubles, but if you copy the .mod files from K1R into your mod folder you will revert all changes made to them by both NPCOverhaul and K1R since what you're copying is the unmodified version.

Sorry for the long text, but I hope that this explanation can make things clearer for you when it comes to installing mods.

Ah, thanks! Your explanation is really helpful!

Now I understand why TSLPatcher called them "warnings" instead of "errors", because it found an already existing .mod and decided to edit it, instead of copying provided .mod and edit that one. Potentially -- although very likely won't, because provided .mod files are usually copies of the .rim files -- causing failure with a mod.

I can now continue playing my game with peace of mind.

Again, thank you! :thumbup:

I didn't know that it was K1R incompatible until after i downloaded it and started a new game. I am now trying to uninstall it by looking at my TSL Patcher log and removing the files by hand. I removed all the files that were copied into the override file for the mod, but I don't know what to do with the files that were, according to the patcher log, "replaced in the modules folder". Do I still delete those? 

Am I doing this completely wrong and there is a better way to uninstall? 

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you guys could lend me. 

If you installed with the TSLPatcher (which I think NPC Overhaul does), your .mod files should be in a folder called "Backup" in the same folder that you installed the mod from. (Should be next to the .exe, iirc) Copy the .mod files into your "modules" folder to uninstall. If you delete the .mod files from the modules without replacing them, you are deleting your game, effectively.

You can uninstall NPCOverhaul by putting back the backup copies into the module folder but be aware that any changes done by mods that you installed after NPCOverhaul will also be removed by this.