Sith Holocron

Darn Those Porting Issues . . .

This thread is a supplement of sorts to my recent release in the Downloads section named "Citadel Station Signage"

1. Some might ask why I haven’t included the TEL_BBrds4.tga sign. Well, a much clearer larger version of that sign is already in KotOR1. (The file is called LMA_msign02.tga in that game.) I wouldn’t want to be accused of porting. However, I imagine if someone were to rename the file below to “TEL_BBrds4” and then converted it back to TGA format, there should not be an issue. (Hypothetically speaking, of course.)
LTS_signs_zps415cfa13.png

2. In addition, I have a problem with another texture . . . TEL_BBrds3. The original texture in KOTOR2 looks like this:

TEL_BBrds3-originalversion_zpsa9e59a0f.p

I used KOTOR Tool to see if there was a similar image in KotOR1 and lo and behold, I find this one:

LMA_msign02-originalkotorversion_zps11e1

There was a bit of merging between the two games' version and I now have this:

TEL_BBrds3-myversion_zps27f1bb44.png

One certain portion - the green and yellow one - was snipped from the KotOR1 version and added into my resized KOTOR2 version. I may have altered the hues, adjusted brightness, and so on - but the fact remains that part of my image originally came from a KotOR1 asset. An argument could be made that this isn’t porting but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle - especially as i have the strong suspicion that it IS porting. If you like what I’ve done, do as I implied with the previously mentioned texture: copy it and convert it into a TGA file. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

I am making a strong argument that isn't porting. especially if you didnt use the whole texture.

I have seen a few do this and openly, it doesn't go against the rules on file front, and frankly you are the rules here.

Well.... I say SCREW PORTING RULES!

Do you really think George.... EXCUSE ME, Disney, cares what the heck we do to this game anymore.....

(I'm sorry I yelled..)

• Like 1

No, they are important - no exceptions - but what is porting has its solidified examples and its more liquid boundaries. This is unlikely porting. considering the texture is already in the second game, just at a different scale. The second texture only contains a portion of a texture. Also, porting implies making something from one game and changing it to be compatible with another game. The TGA format is used in both games, in the same format. porting is changing model formats from one game to the next. not rescaling textures, that is modding.

1) I did say "I don’t think it’s worth the hassle" implying that a discussion is not what I want in this thread. In it's very own thread would be just dandy

2) The pictures are right up there! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

• Like 1

Do you really think georg.... EXCUSE ME, Disney, cares what the heck we do to this game anymore.....

It's not the matter of whether they care or not (I don't think they ever did). It's more about your reputation in the modding community - porting will just get you banned and those rules aren't going to change.

Nice new avatar, Sith Holocron!

(Grumbles) Fine, alright! Maybe they ARE important.

Also I agree your new avatar is cool, what is it anyway?

no, they are important, no exceptions, but what is porting has its solidified examples and its more liquid boundaries. this is unlikely porting. considering the texture is already in the second game, just at a different scale. the second texture only contains a portion of a texture. also porting implies making something from one game and changing it to be compatible with another game. the tga format is used in both games, in the same format. porting is changing model formats from one game to the next. not rescaling textures, that is modding.

I further want to point out that the number of textures with this "condition" aren't limited to just a few signs. I counted all of the animals in the game (save two or three) as well as most of the droids and the shuttle from Dxun to Onderon (Actually a lower-res copy of Bastila's escape shuttle with a palette swap). They're pretty easy to fix or replace, but I figured it was worth pointing out.

I suppose we could compose an exhaustive thread  of every single asset with this problem(I found at least 40), but I feel that may be playing with fire...