zbyl2

M4-78 Official Progress Report #8

Just to sum up:

Obsidian is a professional gaming company with a large staff of programmers working full time on games.

The TSLRCM/M4-78 modders are a handful of hobby programmers working for no pay in the spare time, meaning that both time and resources are very limited. Oh, and naturally they have to deal with code they didn't write themselves, which doesn't help any.

Also, Obsidian didn't rush anything. If anyone did, it was Lucasarts. TSL was given a 13 month development cycle, an almost ludicrously short time for the sequel to a major CRPG. Then Lucasarts decided to cut about two months off that already short time span more than halfway through the project, so they could push the game out in time for christmas. Feel free to complain about the unpolished state of the published game. In my book there is cause to do so, as long as people point the criticism in the right direction.

It's amazing to think that Obsidian made the whole game in 13 months, while it has taken YEARS for you guys to make one planet. It just shows how much of a difference between being rushed and taking your time to polish and work out every little kink makes. Keep up the good work guys! :) So looking forward to the release.

I personally didn't take this as a negative comment. However, this is a call to all beta-testers of the amount of testing and polishing still left to do before a final release can be made. When the next version is made available, we need ALL of the beta-testers to resume their testing and put their comments in the staff section. Your comments on the mod - no matter how small - are definitely needed.

• Like 1

Just to sum up:

Obsidian is a professional gaming company with a large staff of programmers working full time on games.

The TSLRCM/M4-78 modders are a handful of hobby programmers working for no pay in the spare time, meaning that both time and resources are very limited. Oh, and naturally they have to deal with code they didn't write themselves, which doesn't help any.

Also, Obsidian didn't rush anything. If anyone did, it was Lucasarts. TSL was given a 13 month development cycle, an almost ludicrously short time for the sequel to a major CRPG. Then Lucasarts decided to cut about two months off that already short time span more than halfway through the project, so they could push the game out in time for christmas. Feel free to complain about the unpolished state of the published game. In my book there is cause to do so, as long as people point the criticism in the right direction.

I wasn't directly criticizing Obsidian. I thought everyone here knew the story behind the development so me rephrasing something that has been said a thousand times before would be a little redundant. I must admit, vanilla TSL is very impressive for how much time they were given; but it's still unfinished and unpolished which is in fact a result of LA pushing a release. This also gives the modders more reason to be praised (like what my original comment was intending BTW) for having to jump that extra hurdle. The point I was making was, It's great that everyone involved is taking the time out of their day to make this game work and add a planet in the process by doing it the right way, making sure absolutely everything works right. I understand it wasn't OE's fault that the game was rushed, but the point is; it's absolutly stunning that people would go out of their busy schedule to put all the broken pieces back together to create the most impressive mod I have ever seen for any game.

And thanks SH for not taking my original comment negatively :)

• Like 1

By the way, after M4-78EP will be done, will there be any new projects? Like a Malachor V expansion?

By the way, after M4-78EP will be done, will there be any new projects? Like a Malachor V expansion?

Zbyl2 implied he'd be taking a break from modding after M4-78 EP. (Well deserved after working on TSLRCM and M4-78 for so long, wouldn't you say?) I can't speak for anyone else.

There was a Malachor V expansion project in the works but Varsity Puppet has also taken a hiatus from modding. I wouldn't bother posting in the thread but a PM to him is always an option.

Finished my playtrough... that means beta testers will get next version of a mod in few days.

By the way - will there be any influetion altering dialogs on M4-78? If yes, then how many and for what charecters?

Yes, there will be many influence opportunities on M4-78 - for which characters... that you will have to find out yourself.

You wrote some brilliant lines in there, no way I'm cutting them.

I don't know :(

I'll need to get a new game. Or make one.

(but first, rejoice, sit back, and read review of M4-78EP. I'm so looking forward to that)

I loved the original M4-78 and can't wait for the new version.

For a new game you could try to make the tools for Amalur that were promised but never made(basically homebrewing your own quests, skins and whatnot). :)

Sooner or later the MMO of Old Republic will be removed and moved to a standard RPG. Or someone in Lucasart will see how long KOTOR II lasted due to its heavy modding community despite it being a broken game.

Back on topic, will M4-78 use that unusesd droid model that was used in Final Touch by oldflash? Those centaur like droids were really creepy.

Back on topic, will M4-78 use that unusesd droid model that was used in Final Touch by oldflash? Those centaur like droids were really creepy.

I don't know what models Oldfash's mod used, but yes, we are using many cut droid models on M4-78.

I'll post something cool in 30 to 90 minutes, by the way.

Yes, there will be many influence opportunities on M4-78 - for which characters... that you will have to find out yourself.

I suspect there will be additional Influence points for Bao-Dur, considering it's a droid planet and machines are his thing. That, and he has a serious lack of Influence choices compared to the rest of the party. So here's hoping.