Sign in to follow this  
Poggervania

Easy way to find what UTC files are used for enemies?

Is there any easy way to discern what UTC files the enemies use for both games?  I know you can look into each module's _s.rim and see the UTCs used for each area from there, but I'm wanting to look at some enemies to mess around with their files and leave the regular NPCs alone.  Thanks in advance!

Using Holocron Toolset's GIT editor is the easiest way. Select the game from the drop-down on the main page, switch to the Modules tab, select the appropriate module from the drop-down list, expand Module Data and double click on the GIT to open the GIT Editor. That will give you a top-down view of the module's layout with all the starting objects. But be aware that many encounters are scripted, so certain creatures may not exist on the map by default.

It's important to note that you should pretty much never dump edited UTCs (or any other template) in the Override folder, especially for TSL. The only exception is for global templates. This is because TSL is notorious for reusing UTC ResRefs across modules, although even K1 does this to some extent.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

It's important to note that you should pretty much never dump edited UTCs (or any other template) in the Override folder, especially for TSL. The only exception is for global templates. This is because TSL is notorious for reusing UTC ResRefs across modules, although even K1 does this to some extent.

So if I wanted to edit these specific UTCs, should I use TSLPatcher to modify the ones existing in each module then and test that way?  I was originally just planning on dropping the UTCs into Override so I could make quick edits or delete them on the fly but I don't want the game to freak out because of it.

You don't need to got to the trouble of using TSLPatcher for testing purposes. Create a MOD of the vanilla module (.rim/_s.RIM plus _dlg.erf for TSL) with ERFEdit, copy it into the modules folder, then add your edited UTC/s to the MOD.

Remember that once you enter a module for the first time its content is stored in your save file. So typically you'll want a save before entering a module for the first time. That's less relevant if you are spawning creatures via script.

• Thanks 1