• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

What does work works great. Smoothing on individual mesh elements is fine. No more ugly seams on arms and legs and such. But it won't do smoothing between different meshes or mesh elements - essentially, across seams in the UVW map.

It's only a problem depending on what model you're working on. Many of the armors are fine. Where their meshes meet, there isn't supposed to be smoothing, because there's armor or whatever in between the joints. The underwear models are particularly problematic, though, because they're meant to be smooth all over.

The issue also crops up on models that have... the nice word would be questionable, questionable UVW mapping. The Jal Shey armor and the Twin Sun models, for example, have faces on the UVW map that are isolated for seemingly no reason, on the pants. The original models get away with it thanks to the smoothing, but MDLOps loses that.

It should at the very least have been smoothing between elements that are in the same mesh.

Ah well, as long as a fix is in the works

Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. - Proverbs 4:23

#82 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

In the meantime, one solution is a remap to try and hide the seams as much as possible, such as I have suggested previously:

Twilek_Female_Remap_TH.jpg PMHH01_Remapped_01_TH.jpg PMHH01_Remapped_02_TH.jpg

Assuming of course you are willing to deal with the destruction of the original skin weights that accompanies it.

#83 JCarter426

JCarter426

Jedi Knight

• M478_Staff
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, but unfortunately I'm not. I have weighted stuff from scratch before, and it was not fun. There are some possible shortcuts with 3ds' modifiers but I've never managed to consistently get them to work with the game, so I try to avoid losing that data. As far as remapping it... well, technically I know how, but I don't think I have the patience or skills to do it well. It certainly wouldn't look as nice as the above images.

In general if I could do that sort of thing I'd be making new models for these projects instead of hacking up the game models.

But regarding my specific problems, I did manage to work around most of it. Detaching faces to a new element allowed for the un-mirroring, and the smoothing didn't even look too bad. And for the other project, I'm looking into using other models for the legs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mdlops, tool, md, alpha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users