Sign in to follow this  
ttlan

Towards a perfect K2 - 013 - Atton faces the Exile in Ebon Hawk

Atton faces the Exile in Ebon Hawk

Vanilla bug

Each time that the Exile talk to Atton, in the c-ockpit of the Ebon Hawk, this one rises (or, sometimes, remains sitted), but always remain the back turned to the Exile to speak.

It is ugly.

It is mannerless.

It is not worthy of Kotor 2.

There is perhaps a problem of positioning of the cameras but I am not certain and, anyway, that should not be a blocking problem since the good position can exist (ie : this conversations just after leaving Peragus):

057_atton_face_exilee.gif

Before speaking to Atton, place yourself behind him, make a save, reload, open the dialog and...

Atton is placed correctly!

I'm quite sure this can be corrected, all thru the game, simply.

Edited by ttlan

I mentioned something somewhat similar to this once before. I'll repeat what I said and then I'll add comments I received offline about it.

Another suggestion:

When the Exile talks to Atton when he's in the Ebon Hawk ****pit - many times the point of view is of seeing just seeing him hunched over the console and not facing the the Exile. This also means he's not facing us. Well, it's already been established in K1 that other camera angles can be arranged to do better than that . . . witness the following picture from KotOR1.

800px-Femrevandcarth.jpg

I'm not implying that every conversation with Atton in the ****pit should use this angle. In fact, when he's being evasive in his answers or down right hostile to you, it might even be preferable for him to give the Exile (and therefore, you along with him/her) the "cold shoulder." Hiowever, seeing his face and emotional responses in the early scenes where you're just getting to know him might be beneficial to connecting better with the character."

As for the new camera angle when talking to Atton - again, I have to say no. One reason is that you can talk to Atton in basically every location in the game. That could break some stuff if he had special camera angle that works only for the Ebon Hawk.

Of course, it could be scripted to use one angle on EH, rather than anywhere else... but is it worth it? No, not really - in my opinion, anyway.

Yeah, the camera angle change would screw up a lot of things in the game, come to think of it.

Perhaps the same problems that applied to my request might apply to yours?

I understand what Zbyl2 and VP are saying.

As it is almost possible to talk about anything anywhere with Atton, should re-write all the dialogues twice or double all the dialog options with

If EH Map

StrRef + camera 37 angle 6...

Otherwise

StrRef + camera 9 angle 2...

But, why, after a save / restore, we have a good camera with a good angle and a good positioning of Atton? What's happening during the save / restore that can't be redone easily?

Something done here ?

Atton is able to remain seated, facing the Exile, and with gestures of typing on a keyboard, above ... nothing!

And he sits down again and again with the first three sentences of the Exiled when it comes to speak after an initial conversation with Kreia!

75187 :

How's our passenger? She still aging?

In 003EBO.mod\003atton.dlg

Here's my theory: when the (non currently functional in game) dialogue that has Atton discussing how T3-M4 doubles as the astrogation system (see thread here for more on this cut content), the camera would switch from the c*ckpit to the astrogation room where you'd see T3-M4 fooling with one of the computers.

Broken link :

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/316-dialogue-with-atton-about-the-astronavigation-system/

Query: Speaking of which, was the security camera system in that room going to be used for anything?

This is another problem. I believe I have already discussed of it here or on the old forum. The only time the security cameras of the Ebon Hawk would be really useful is during the attack of the Sith, leaving Peragus. Yet it is the only time where these cameras does not work.

During the Red Eclipse attack, Cahhmakt is standing here.

Edited by Sith Holocron

It's set in the code that atton HAS to be face-locked.

I suppose that script breaks upon a reload then.

I could try erasing it completely, see if that has any effect. But KOTORTool doesn't work for me now (ugh) and I can't recall which ncs file I saw it in :(.

Perhaps a call in c_chk003atttlk but I do not have the source code.

No, it's a script that runs everytime the EH is loaded.

What script ? Can I help you ?

As said, I don't recall the name, and my KOTORTool isn't working.

It's one of the K_ files and probably mentions either the ebon hawk or party members in general.

Thanks.

No, k_oei_hench_inc.nss

void DoAttonSpawnIn(object oPartyMember, string sModuleName)

{

int In003EBO = (sModuleName == "003EBO");

int In711KOR = (sModuleName == "711KOR");

int In101PER = (sModuleName == "101PER"); // DJS-OEI 10/1/2004

if( In003EBO && (GetGlobalBoolean("003_cutscene_mode") == FALSE) )

{

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_DIALOGUE_END));//OPTIONAL BEHAVIOR - Fire User Defined Event 1011

//AssignCommand(oPartyMember, ClearAllActions());

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, ActionPlayAnimation(ANIMATION_LOOPING_SIT_CHAIR_COMP2, 1.0, -1.0));

//set atton's facing

vector vFacing = GetPositionFromLocation(GetLocation(GetObjectByTag("WP_atton_facing")));

AssignCommand( OBJECT_SELF, SetFacingPoint(vFacing));

SetLockOrientationInDialog(oPartyMember, TRUE);

SetOrientOnClick(oPartyMember, FALSE);

}

else if(In711KOR)

{

GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_DAMAGED);

SetMinOneHP(oPartyMember,TRUE);

}

else if(In101PER){

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_DIALOGUE));

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_DIALOGUE_END));

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_HEARTBEAT));

AssignCommand(oPartyMember, GN_SetSpawnInCondition(SW_FLAG_EVENT_ON_PERCEPTION));

}

else

{//default spawn in

}

}[/Quote]

vector vFacing = GetPositionFromLocation(GetLocation(GetObjectByTag("WP_atton_facing")));

This try to get the Exiled position ?

//set atton's facing

Dev Comment.

Tag to look at (probably near the window, or even beyond it).

AssignCommand( OBJECT_SELF, SetFacingPoint(vFacing));

Assigns Atton to look there.

SetLockOrientationInDialog(oPartyMember, TRUE);

Look there even if a convo is running.

SetOrientOnClick(oPartyMember, FALSE);

Don't orient to the player if (s)he clicks on you, like most NPC's do.

Dev Comment.

Tag to look at (probably near the window, or even beyond it).

Assigns Atton to look there.

Look there even if a convo is running.

Don't orient to the player if (s)he clicks on you, like most NPC's do.

Thinking of what it should be in theory

// 1/ Set parameters

"B" is the position of:

- the listener (get "B" coordinates - in 003EBO, it's the Exiled), if "A" does nothing (pure conversation - still standing)

- a target designated by its coordinates (set "B" to a constant value - in 003EBO, it's the keyboard coordinates) if "A" does something while he speaks

Set A-sitting-standing to a value ("A" must be sitting or standing)

Set String Ref

Set Camera (default to "B" subjective camera)

Set gestual

Call the fonction

// 2/

// "A" must be sitting

If "A" must be sitting

(If "A" is standing; "A" sits down) // else do nothing

// "A" must be standing

If "A" must be standing

(If "A" is sitting; "A" stands up) // else do nothing

// 3/ computation of the vector

"A" is the position of the speaker (get "A" coordinates)

"A" is oriented to "B" //assign Atton to look at "B" - in 003EBO, it's the keyboard or the Exiled - orientation including the object on wich "A" is sitting if "A" is sitting and the object is orientable (like an orientable chair)

// 4/

Launch gestual and action.

Actual : false. Or he sits and works at the keyboard, or he is standing and facing the Exiled, or he sits and faces the Exiled wich is standing (Atton is a thug, rude) but then he do not have the gestual of typing on a keyboard (on top of nothing).

024_atton_faces_exiled_1.png

Save K2, reload and it's OK

024_atton_faces_exiled_2.png

Camera in the cockpit of the EH:

003EBO_dlg.erf\003atton.dlg (if TSLRCM, 003EBO.mod\003atton.dlg)

I wonder if an objective camera is not a better idea than two subjective cameras in the cockpit of the EH. One at the copilot place or at the astrogation system, shoing the scene, depending on the position of the Exiled, instead of swiching with each speaker.

There's that, too: Atton typing on the keyboard, a sword (or a riffle or one or two pistol) in the hand!

024_atton_typing_with_a_sword.png

But if you go to the equipment screen and change the equipement of Atton (change the gun), he now has empty hands when working on the keyboard. It's so strange ! The fonction "Empty hands" exist but is not called the first time.

Oh... this happen every time every where in K2.

024_atton_typing_with_empty_hands.png

When changing Atton equipment, he has a short time, the gestual of using this new equipment, but with empty hands. Here with a riffle.

024_atton_typing_with_empty_hands_2.png

I have no idea what you just wrote :?

And "empty hands" is for the PC character. NPC's have to be manually disarmed (by script) AFAIK.

And yes, he is *supposed* to not look (as seen in the script) but that obviously breaks when loading a savegame if then that behavior is not present.

Guest HK-47

Query: While Atton not standing and facing your character or sitting back down after a few dialogue choices is annoying, why in the world did they stick the pilot seats so far away from the console?

Statement: Even looking at him from behind, you can tell he's typing in the air.

Query: Would it break him/the game if he was made to stand and use the consoles around where the galaxy map is, like he is during his conversation with Michal, maybe even have him walk into that room where no one but T3 goes into?

Query: Speaking of which, was the security camera system in that room going to be used for anything?

Here's my theory: when the (non currently functional in game) dialogue that has Atton discussing how T3-M4 doubles as the astrogation system (see thread here for more on this cut content), the camera would switch from the c*ckpit to the astrogation room where you'd see T3-M4 fooling with one of the computers.

Guest HK-47

Query: Since I was redirected back to this thread, would it be possible to make Atton do the things I suggested?

Well, I *can* make it 100% guaranteed he turns around first talk you have after loading (save/ebon hawk map), but he still gives you his back in subsequent conversations.

Don't see a way around that, sadly enough...

Try this.

Want to know if it works alone, or requires a modified k_003ebo_onenter.

And then try if it doesn't break leaving Peragus... (well, me. But you can too if you want to :))

Guest AttonsGirl

Do you mean he's supposed to stand up with his back to you every time you talk to him? I find it highly annoying, whether they did it on purpose or not. I like to see his face when I talk to him, so if I want to have a "big" conversation (i.e., "What happened on Nar Shaddaa?"), I have to exit the Ebon Hawk so I'm not facing his back for the whole ten minute conversation. That's not so bad, I guess, but I still think it's annoying.

I never realized it could be so complex to fix. I don't really know how scripts work, but I guess I just figured you could take the animation from when you first leave Peragus and apply it to the rest of the cockpit scenes.

He's most probably SUPPOSED to stay seated, and talk to you sitting and navigating. But as noticed, that doesn't work too well...

He's most probably SUPPOSED to stay seated, and talk to you sitting and navigating. But as noticed, that doesn't work too well...

Probably because you're supposed to be able to have the conversation anywhere. If you added the animations, he would sit down ANYTIME you had the conversation, whether or not on the Ebon Hawk.