Sign in to follow this  
N-DReW25

ROR Addons [A concept]

Hello, I'm N-DReW25: a writer for the Revenge of Revan mod.

The mod's development is going well, though any discussion of the mod's development can be done in the return of ROR thread as this post is concerning another topic.

During the development of the ROR mod, I've personally thought up something called a "Revenge of Revan Addon mod" or "ROR Addon" for short. A ROR Addon is a mod which is designed to work with the ROR mod and can only be used with the ROR mod (A mod which was made for K2 which is also fully compatible with ROR isn't considered a ROR Addon, though a "What's compatible with ROR" thread might be opened upon ROR Episode 1's release!).

Originally, I thought I would be announcing the ROR Addon concept sometime after the release of ROR Episode 1, however, due to the release of a recent mod I am pleased to announce that a new ROR Addon has been made which I can happily show the general public without leaking anything from the modern ROR mod which is still in development.

And the first (and hopefully not last) ROR Addon is called: "High Quality Aliens: Yoda Species"

The Revenge of Revan mod currently has not one, not two, but three Yoda species NPCs. Whilst I have made 3 skins, currently only one of the Yoda NPCs is used in the mod though since none of you realistically know who "Ulon Tuain" is I might as well call it "High Quality Aliens: Yoda Species".

This here is now Ulon appears in the ROR Demo and how he will look in the future releases of the ROR mod:

Spoiler

20220724213510_2.jpg.70055b988e3ca5f156b59109c4416948.jpg

And here is how Ulon will appear with the HQ Yoda Species ROR Addon installed!:

Spoiler

20220723152718_1.jpg.18eea83ba4b87cbf5fe4a9350d6a64f0.jpg

Disclaimer: Every Jedi Council member in the ROR Demo had names, you could only see them in the dialogue feedback menu once the Jedi Council cutscene ended. Just because Ulon Tuain has a ROR Addon made for him and the fact that I've revealed his name to the public doesn't make him "important" in the grand scheme of the ROR plot, as many of the fine details of later content of ROR is still up in the air it is possible that Ulon Tuain might just be "a Jedi Council member" character and that's it, or it might be possible that the Jedi Council members will play a bigger role which hasn't been written in yet... we just don't know (in 2022).

And the dialogue is of course experimental, if overall community feedback dislikes the Yoda speak then remove from the mod we will! :P

So when will this ROR Addon be released?

I am not certain of that, and I have two very good reasons as to why this mod might not be released soon.

1) ROR Episode 1 hasn't been released yet: If I released this mod tomorrow then the players would only be able to play this mod with the ROR Demo which was released in 2011 (How many of us are playing the ROR Demo in 2022?)

2) Stormie's ported model hasn't been thoroughly tested: When I imported the model into MDLEdit (One of you model modders probably had a stroke reading that) I received an error message.

This is very, VERY likely the result of MDLEdit not being prepared to load a "custom model completely built from scratch using modern 3D asset creation techniques" (as Stormie puts it). MDLEdit probably had a stroke as the following was the error message I recieved:

Capture.PNG.4c1b764a410d5bb99be5369b107fdf16.PNG

As you can see from my screenshot, I believe the ported model works just fine in K2... however, I think it might be best to wait some time and hope Stormie himself ports his work to K2 and I'll just use that model instead.

But I want it now!

I am also very, VERY open to the idea of releasing all 3 High Quality Yoda skins for ROR as replacements for the original Vandar mod. That means you will be able to pick one of the 3 ROR Yoda's and have it replace the Vandar texture in K1 (You WILL require Stormie's original mod to be installed first!)

In-conclusion:
Let me know what you guys think of both the High Quality Vandar reskin and the concept of Addon mods for the ROR mod! 

Do you think ROR Addons are a good idea? Would you play with Addons when ROR is released? Do you think this is a bad idea? Should I release the Yoda skins for K1? Let me know what you think in the comments, your feedback (good and bad) would be helpful for Logan and the team!

All credit goes to Stormie97 for the original model and texture!

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

45 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

a "Revenge of Revan Addon mod" or "ROR Addon" for short

That's known as a "sub-mod" in the parlance of other mod communities.

45 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

I received an error message

It's fine as long as the bone count isn't 18 or above. The MDL format supports up to 17 bones per mesh (Vandar being one of two vanilla K1 models that max out the limit). Early versions of MDLEdit erroneously declared the limit at 16, but I believe this was changed in later versions.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

It's fine as long as the bone count isn't 18 or above. The MDL format supports up to 17 bones per mesh (Vandar being one of two vanilla K1 models that max out the limit). Early versions of MDLEdit erroneously declared the limit at 16, but I believe this was changed in later versions.

Exactly, the head mesh uses 17 bones so the error message should go away with a more recent version of MDLEdit.

I should add that I’ve only tested him with his normal K1 animations (essentially just standing around and taking). I did try replacing the PC with him to see the combat animations for fun so that wasn’t a rigourous test. I haven’t played ROR so depending on what those Yoda-likes do in the mod I might have to recheck the skin weights, especially on the lower body.

I do hear that you’d need a TSL port so I’ll look into that shortly.

• Like 1