Sign in to follow this  
deafhobbit

Advice for a total newb

Alright, years ago i played both KOTOR games on the Xbox, and loved them. Recently, i picked up KOTOR for $2.50 on the steam summer sale, remembered how awesome it was, and ordered a copy of TSL before i'd even finished beating the first game. It should arrive next week, and I'm really looking forward to it. I want to try playing it with TSLRCM, but since i have limited gaming time, i want to have as frustration free an experience as possible. So, I was wondering if this community would be willing to help me answer a few questions, either directly or by directing me to the appropriate thread.

1) Common problems with getting TSL and TSLRCM working on windows 7, and their solutions

2) Any places where is should especially be aware of glitches that could mess stuff up?

3) Any potential places where i can mess up and miss something important/cool/fun in the game i should be aware of? By this, i mean stuff like making sure i make the right conversation choices to get Visas to teach me force sight.

4) General recommendations on party composition and main character builds. I'm not asking for a full guide or anything, and i know enough about D20 to find my way around, but I'd still like some general advice. What are fun builds, what skills are important to have covered, which NPC's do you find the most fun to have in your party, and when do you recommend training them to be Jedi.

Thanks a bunch. I know these questions probably crop up with some frequency, but i wasn't really able to find answers to them. Hopefully, the answers in this thread will not just be useful for me, but for anyone else in a similar position looking to enjoy this mod.

Advice #1: Save a lot.

Advice #2: Only install mods that say they're explicitly compatible with TSLRCM. If it doesn't say, then don't install it.

Advice #3: Play the game more than once. As good as TSLRCM 1.7 is, we keep adding more and more to each version.

Advice #1: Save a lot.

Advice #2: Only install mods that say they're explicitly compatible with TSLRCM. If it doesn't say, then don't install it.

Advice #3: Play the game more than once. As good as TSLRCM 1.7 is, we keep adding more and more to each version.

1 - I recently finished DAO:Awakening, so i have a background here.

2 - Right now, I wasn't planning on using any other mods.

3 - Again, limited gaming time. I was planning on at least two play throughs, but honestly between work, books i want to read, and other stuff i doubt I'd have time for more than two play throughs between now and when school starts, and grad students have limited gaming opportunities. So again, I'd ask is there anything i should be wary of missing.

Guest staticjoe66
1) Common problems with getting TSL and TSLRCM working on windows 7, and their solutions

Running TSL in XP compatibility mode--personally I use XP SP3--with admin priviliges worked out rather well for me

As far as character builds go that usually depends on what I want to do for that particular playthrough--if I'm going Jedi Guardian, I will boost STR letting saber crystals and items boost my WIS. If I'm going Consular, I do the opposite--I'll raise WIS and CHR when I can increasing STR with items. Your first round of combat with Kreia on Malachor will be much more difficult if you don't have offensive Force Powers--I tried to go toe-to-toe with her with a heavily modded Jedi Guardian...she killed me in less than 15 seconds....she had half her health left. I would also recommend getting Force Confusion which works very well on Sion as well the sabers Kreia sends after you--the sabers' WILL saves aren't that great so it almost always works giving you time to buff up then go to work on her

There are a few schools of thought on what line up you might want to go with for what area. I recommend checking out some of the nice walk-throughs and strategy guides that have been created through the years

Strategy Guides at Game Banshee

TSL Walkthrough at Game Banshee

Aeon's KotOR2 FAQ

Gamespot TSL Strategy Guide

Just realize that the HK-Factory and Kaevee won't be covered in these pages as they aren't in the "Vanilla" (AKA "unmodded") game.

There are a few schools of thought on what line up you might want to go with for what area. I recommend checking out some of the nice walk-throughs and strategy guides that have been created through the years

Strategy Guides at Game Banshee

TSL Walkthrough at Game Banshee

Aeon's KotOR2 FAQ

Gamespot TSL Strategy Guide

Just realize that the HK-Factory and Kaevee won't be covered in these pages as they aren't in the "Vanilla" (AKA "unmodded") game.

On FAQ's, i was just planning on sticking with DSimpson's one on GameFaq's - that man was incredibly helpful when i was beating BG 1 & 2, and will be again whenever i get around to beating ToB.

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone's willing to chip in, I'd still really appreciate advice on when you think it's best to convert allies to Jedi (ie, whether to level them up or save levels, and how much), and what skills i should make sure i have covered. If i remember right, it's a lot harder to get through TSL with an 8 int PC who only puts points in persuade, which was my go to build in KOTOR.

I had the same concerns when I upgraded recently to windows 7 (after all the horor stories with Vista)but I'm running windows 7 64bit did a regular install of TSL ,official obsidian patch and TSLRCM and have had no abnormal issues at all. I am using a Nvidia video card and newest drivers also, from what I understand some ATI cards/drivers can have issues.

Guest staticjoe66

I don't level anyone up before I Jedify them. Mira is a must have and arguably the easiest to Jedify--Atton is pretty easy too as you get INF with him LS or DS. Getting INF with Visas is cool too because she teaches your Force Sight--not that you need the power itself but the INF and FP gains are definitely worth it. Brianna is ok to Jedify as I like to use her in Freedon Nadd's tomb not to mention the cutscenes as you gain INF then finally Jedify her are pretty cool.

The two most useless NPC's to Jedify are Bao-Dur and Mical--after you Jedify them you're basically done with them although I sometimes like to have BD along in Nadd's tomb. I use the Mira/Hanharr mod so I always get Mira even DS--to me Hanharr is the most useless NPC in the game...at least you can get credits from Goto....

Dan Simpson's walkthrough is about the best one out there--I still refer to it on occasion. I don't have the link on this pc but on lparchives.org (I think) Scorchy also has a very good walkthrough with screenshots

On FAQ's, i was just planning on sticking with DSimpson's one on GameFaq's - that man was incredibly helpful when i was beating BG 1 & 2, and will be again whenever i get around to beating ToB.

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone's willing to chip in, I'd still really appreciate advice on when you think it's best to convert allies to Jedi (ie, whether to level them up or save levels, and how much), and what skills i should make sure i have covered. If i remember right, it's a lot harder to get through TSL with an 8 int PC who only puts points in persuade, which was my go to build in KOTOR.

Hanharr is the most useless NPC in the game...at least you can get credits from Goto...

Credits are better than Wisdom, Strength, Constitution and Force Points?

Guest staticjoe66

Fair point HH but on the other hand you can't Jedify him plus he's just a brawler and after you follow that dialogue tree you're done with him...as much as I hate Goto--which is why I finish the HK Factory the way I do (don't wanna spoil anything for the OP)--he's still a more interesting char than Hanharr, you can learn all you need to about Hanharr from Mira while gaining INF to Jedify her...

Credits are better than Wisdom, Strength, Constitution and Force Points?

Meh, combat wise, Hanharr is worth more than a Jedi. He also has his own variation of Force Speed, so no loss there.

Not that you need it, the game's difficulty being as is.

Guest staticjoe66

With the right FP's Mira can incapacitate a whole room...the same cannot be said for Hanharr...

Meh, combat wise, Hanharr is worth more than a Jedi. He also has his own variation of Force Speed, so no loss there.

Not that you need it, the game's difficulty being as is.

Guest staticjoe66

Fascinating...I think I'm going to have to test this scenario for myself...my next playthrough was going to be a DS Sentinel as I haven't played a Sentinel in quite a while

No need if even the Dxun Freedon Nadd Tomb Sith Lords die in a single hit from Hanharr on "difficult"

Guest Qui-Don Jorn

".....to me Hanharr is the most useless NPC in the game"

I totally agree, modded him right out

Guest staticjoe66

Qui-Don...do you mean to say you have YET ANOTHER mod I should be aware of and install...?? HOTOR is now part of the group of mods I install each playthrough--that is ONE KICK ARSE mod so TYSVM for it and if you have something along the nix Hanharr lines I would be very interested in it although I won't be reinstalling the game until the end of the month...for some strange and unknown reason this philosophy class is keeping me quite occupied...

".....to me Hanharr is the most useless NPC in the game"

I totally agree, modded him right out

Guest Tymon88

Hi everyone, another newb here ;)

Instead of making a new topic I'd like to ask here which gender should I pick for the Exile to have most complete story with TSLRCM? I only ran through the game once, vanilla no mods, a couple of years ago so I don'y remember that much.

As for the best builds I'd choose Jedi Sentinel to cover lots of usefull skills like repair, persuade,computer use or awarness.

Guest staticjoe66

SW canon says the Exile was a LS F and the game is definitely slanted towards that. With that said there are pros and cons regarding both genders--while I prefer to play a DS M this current playthrough I'm a DS F. This reason I prefer playing a M is because I feel Brianna/The Handmaiden is much more useful than Mical/Disciple and she's much more fun to lose INF (ESPECIALLY on Dantooine) with to set up the confrontation between her and Visas on Malachor. I see Mical as being kind of a stiff and once you Jedify him you're done whereas Brianna has more of an SL to her even after you Jedify her.

Atton is a slam dunk to Jedify so I usually do it--it's harder to lose INF than to gain it and seeing him pick a fight with Mical on Malachor once was enough for me. When playing a F Exile I like to have Sion kill Atton.

Unlike some other people I like Bao-Dur--he's very easy to Jedify and not bad in a fight. No he doesn't say much but if you build him right he's very effective, I usually use him in a support role for healing, energy resistance and maybe statis field or force lightning. I don't know if any of his dialogue changes due to the Exile's gender, HH and others are much more qualified than I am to answer that question.

I use the Mira/Hanharr mod to always get Mira, even DS--to me Hanharr is completely useless so Mira has much more value being, arguably, the easiest NPC to Jedify (yes, following the right dialogue tree you can Jedify her before leaving Nar Shaddaa) and she has some great lines on Dxun/Onderon. Like BD I'm not sure if any of her dialogue changes with the Exile's gender--I usually click through dialogue because I already know what's coming

Hi everyone, another newb here ;)

Instead of making a new topic I'd like to ask here which gender should I pick for the Exile to have most complete story with TSLRCM? I only ran through the game once, vanilla no mods, a couple of years ago so I don'y remember that much.

As for the best builds I'd choose Jedi Sentinel to cover lots of usefull skills like repair, persuade,computer use or awarness.

Guest Qui-Don Jorn

Qui-Don...do you mean to say you have YET ANOTHER mod I should be aware of and install...?? HOTOR is now part of the group of mods I install each playthrough--that is ONE KICK ARSE mod so TYSVM for it and if you have something along the nix Hanharr lines I would be very interested in it although I won't be reinstalling the game until the end of the month...for some strange and unknown reason this philosophy class is keeping me quite occupied...

ThankYOU very much. I really apprieciate it..

Well, for my personal game I did have him modded out. A simple script which resets the global "303NAR_Hanharr_Side" back to "0".

If you would like to see that in HotOR 1.6 I would definately consider including it. Just let me know.

I think you are going to like 1.6 THAT much better. Not that Im AT ALL egotistical or vain, but,..1.6 kicks so much ass. I can't wait to start work on it everyday.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, please continue..:)

Guest Luminous Being

I had no issues installing TSL or TSLRCM on win7 x64. I'm currently trying out the "approved" mods for TSLRCM.