Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaTheSwordsman

"No CD" patch for Best of PC version, poss. Windows 7 fixes

I like having games on hard media, there's just something about it. However, when the hard medium in question is an optical disk it's vulnerable to getting crippled by scratches. If you're lucky it'll read well enough to at least install the game, even if it can't actually play it.

That's the situation I find myself in with Knights of the Old Republic. The disk - which is pretty badly scratched up thanks to a poorly-functioning disk drive a few years back - can still be read to install the game, but when I try to actually run the game? It conks out after I click "Start Game". Fun. This is a circumstance in which, as far as I understand, using a No CD crack is legal and justified - you're not trying to obtain the game illegally or anything, you're trying to repair a game you already own.

Unfortunately for me, my  PC copy of KOTOR is part of the "Star Wars: The Best of PC" collection. Unless there is something I've missed, the "No CD" cracks for the standalone versions of KOTOR do not work with the Best of PC release of the game. Given that the Best of PC collection came out in 2006, you'd think someone would have done something but as far as I can find that's not the case.

Now, it's possible that maybe it's not the disk at fault. Everything I've read has said that the Best of PC version doesn't need patching to run on Windows 7 and in the past I found that to be the case. But maybe some later update to Windows 7 broke the compatibility, I don't know. Hopefully someone who does can tell me.

13 minutes ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

Hopefully someone who does can tell me.

https://deadlystream.com/topic/7454-deadlystream-forum-rules/

8. Illegal Material

"Do not discuss or post links to illegal material or discuss where to obtain illegal material (i.e. where to get illegal cracks, etc.). Do not post magazine scans and other copyrighted material. This is prohibited. Discussions about how to perform activities that are illegal in the US are also prohibited (i.e. torrents to acquire the games illegally, etc.).

Deadlystream may at times host files that circumvent DRM; in these instances, these files are only to enable the normal and legal use of the games they are made for. In all instances you must own the content you are using, and Deadlystream does not condone, promote, or enable piracy. Discussion about piracy is strictly prohibited."

Unfortunately the best I can do is point you to the rules.

20 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

https://deadlystream.com/topic/7454-deadlystream-forum-rules/

8. Illegal Material

"Do not discuss or post links to illegal material or discuss where to obtain illegal material (i.e. where to get illegal cracks, etc.). Do not post magazine scans and other copyrighted material. This is prohibited. Discussions about how to perform activities that are illegal in the US are also prohibited (i.e. torrents to acquire the games illegally, etc.).

Deadlystream may at times host files that circumvent DRM; in these instances, these files are only to enable the normal and legal use of the games they are made for. In all instances you must own the content you are using, and Deadlystream does not condone, promote, or enable piracy. Discussion about piracy is strictly prohibited."

Unfortunately the best I can do is point you to the rules.

I read the rules before posting this. See that part I highlighted? That's why I went ahead with posting this thread. How  a "No CD" crack for a game you actually goddamn legally own not fall under that?

2 minutes ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

I read the rules before posting this. See that part I highlighted? That's why I went ahead with posting this thread. How  a "No CD" crack for a game you actually goddamn legally own not fall under that?

KOTOR 2 Editable Executable is not DRM free?

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

6 minutes ago, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

I went with what I thought was best as a reply, sorry.

As somebody mentioned above you might be ok with the editable executable from this site, I am not sure as I have not used it.

I would rather not break any rules on this website, however I understand that you stated that you own the original game and fully intend to use it as legit as the site's rules themselves state should be the only way to do so, but I am not sure to what extent that first part truly applies to just discussion on the matter.

As one one hand it says they might host them, but on the other hand it say's you can't even discuss them. I believe that means we can't or at least shouldn't discuss them but the site themselves can make a decision on whether or not to upload such content. ( that is how I interpreted that rule anyway )

• Like 1

You don't need the disk inserted to play the Best of PC version. Just go to the directory and use the normal launcher or directly launch the game via swkotor.exe

• Light Side Points 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:20 AM, Vabulletizer said:

KOTOR 2 Editable Executable is not DRM free?

I'm dealing with 1, not 2, but thank you for the tip about that.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Jango32 said:

You don't need the disk inserted to play the Best of PC version. Just go to the directory and use the normal launcher or directly launch the game via swkotor.exe

Tried that and it didn't work, which leads me to think that perhaps despite appearing to install correctly it was actually corrupted. However, it did work with the K1 Editable Exec so thanks all the same.

Ugh, problems like this make think that as far as physical releases are concerned, PC games should be released on datacards instead of optical disks going forward. Especially since high-capacity chip memory is so cheap these days.

EDIT: And never mind... The Editable Exec seemed to work at first, but it consistently hangs on a black screen after character creation instead of playing the intro movie. Looks like "buy a new disk" it is...