Sign in to follow this  
Thor110

One Line Dialogues

One Line Dialogues in the Aspyr Version of the game do not seem to work in my project's levels in any of the newer resolutions, but appear in all the original resolutions.

I have searched high and low for an answer to this question, I have also tirelessly tried to figure it out myself but it doesn't make any sense to me.

The way I have tested this is by taking a dialog from a level already in the game, that works in the new and old resolutions ( specifically 000twid.dlg from 207tel ) which I re-used in one of the levels I am working on, however it still doesn't work, I have compared the utc and dlg files as well as the levels in general and can't find a definite causal link.

For a little while I was playing around with the Miles folder and thought that might be the issue, because replacing the Miles folder with the original Miles folder actually breaks all dialogs in the game removing all voiceovers, so theres a possible link to the dialog files. I tried various combinations of the files within the Miles folder to no such luck though I hardly expected it to work I just thought it was worth analying the files that are different between the 4CD and Aspyr versions of the game, most swaps cause error messages or the game to lag quite heavily on startup and in the dialogue menu itself.

Thanks for any help provided.
Thor110

With regards to the Miles files, I've messed around with them before trying to solve legacypc fullscreen crashing (only ever been able to play cutscenes when disabling sound drivers). The files aren't exactly interchangeable between the two versions of the game. The Aspyr version uses two Miles DLL files while legacypc uses one, the contents of the Miles folders aren't the same, and we can't change how either exe initializes Miles. You've probably gotten the DLL entry point errors on startup.

The Aspyr version's bug with lightsaber hilt textures is hard-coded. If nothing else works, then your dialogue issue likely is too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashton Scorpius said:

You've probably gotten the DLL entry point errors on startup.

The Aspyr version's bug with lightsaber hilt textures is hard-coded. If nothing else works, then your dialogue issue likely is too.

Yeah, I didn't expect it to work I just decided to play around with the files.

M478 has working one-line dialogues in the Aspyr version, so I feel like I am missing something, but again copying a dlg file from M478 to test in levels I am working with gives the same problem.

I really don't know how the oneliners work so all I can do is guess but have you tried making a copy of a vanilla TSL module and check if they work in there?

If so you can then maybe start checking for differences in the modules as it's obviously not the dlg file that's the issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kexikus said:

If so you can then maybe start checking for differences in the modules as it's obviously not the dlg file that's the issue.

Damn I feel stupid now, I have analysed / compared the files so many times against vanilla levels and there are effectively 0 differences in the modules.

Turns out it was the lack of a .vis file which will remain in my project until the models are fixed.

Still it seems strange to me that it shows in vanilla resolutions without a vis file.

Edit : I only had one level I could even compare against to check that which is Yavin Station thanks to @Effix who also toyed around with porting Yavin Station but fixed the models and their vis file as opposed to just converting them with MDLEdit as I did and allowed me to use those files.

I basically dis-regarded the vis files because the dialogs worked in vanilla resolutions and as far as I could tell only affected the force speed blur, how foolish of me.

Edited by Thor110
Credit where credit is due.