Display Name

[TSL] Is it possible to add new classes by modding?

I notice the story in TSL encourage players to think more about the believe of a grey jedi, while the game mechanics expect players to be either light or the dark side to gain most of the advantages in game. Therefore, I'm thinking of introduce a new set of prestige classes for grey jedis.

So my question is:

1. Since this kind of mods are rarely seen, I would like to know is it possible to introduce new classes in Kotor TSL by modding?

2. Is there a proper documentation for Kotor modding?
When I'm looking for documentation, this is the closest thing I have found so far https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=Main_Page.

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

1. Since this kind of mods are rarely seen, I would like to know is it possible to introduce new classes in Kotor TSL by modding?

IIRC, you can add new 'regular' classes, but it's impossible to add new Force-user classes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

IIRC, you can add new 'regular' classes, but it's impossible to add new Force-user classes.

Is there a particular reason for this limitation?

9 hours ago, DeadMan said:

So in short, the idea of adding new prestige classes is not gonna work....

On 6/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, Mellowtron11 said:

Is there a particular reason for this limitation?

The game doesn't give them any Force points. This seems to be hard-coded rather than based on the forcedie column in classes.2da like you might think. It doesn't even display the bar for it. So if you multiclassed from Jedi to non-Jedi, for example, your character would still have Force powers, but no longer be able to see how many Force points they have.

It's possible to make other classes, but there are some limitations. They can only use existing tables for power gain, feat gain, saving throws, and base attack bonus. These all have to be identical to some other class', though you can mix up which are used for which. Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to get away with editing the original table without affecting NPCs that use the original class.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

The game doesn't give them any Force points. This seems to be hard-coded rather than based on the forcedie column in classes.2da like you might think. It doesn't even display the bar for it. So if you multiclassed from Jedi to non-Jedi, for example, your character would still have Force powers, but no longer be able to see how many Force points they have.

It's possible to make other classes, but there are some limitations. They can only use existing tables for power gain, feat gain, saving throws, and base attack bonus. These all have to be identical to some other class's, though you can mix up which are used for which. Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to get away with editing the original table without affecting NPCs that use the original class.

Actually, I was hoping to make a new set of Prestige Classes based on a 14 year old post: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/28474-gray-jedi-prestige-classes-and-the-pc-version/

So yes, it doesn't really matter of reusing the existing class table(s) since they should feel like their light and dark side counterparts anyway. 

So if I understand correctly, the limitation of creating new Prestige Classes: Force points will be hidden, while  the game mechanics still work (the game still calculate force point correctly, you can still learn and use force power)

I don't recall if new classes can learn new powers, but it certainly won't give them new Force points for their class. And even if you have points, having them hidden makes it unplayable anyway.

5 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

I don't recall if new classes can learn new powers, but it certainly won't give them new Force points for their class. And even if you have points, having them hidden makes it unplayable anyway.

Hidden force point can be view as a drawback of being a grey jedi. I can just display a message pop up, something like "You have low force point", "You are exhausted" instead. Besides, I can just make the give them more powerful bonus to compensate it

What about if I implement a workaround in such way:

1. Give players the Prestige Class bonus without adding a new class (e.g. giving guardians Superior Weapon Focus: Lightsaber and Superior Two-Weapon Fighting directly)

2. Modify the existing class name (This may not be possible)