Sign in to follow this  
Marauder

Modify store items (k1)

I want to modify an item from Suvams store on the Yavin station. The trouble is it exists in both suvam02a.utm and suvam03a.utm (because he sells the same item again later). If I understand right modifying an item from one of these stores will usually cause problems in the game because it's been placed more than once. Maybe someone could clarify that situation for me.

My current thinking is just to make a copy of the item under a different name and ResRef so it can replace the current one in suvam03a.utm.

Also this item is listed in m50aa.git. I'm not sure why that's needed. Will I need to modify this?

Tia :)

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you want to change what the item is, like change its stats or description or appearance or whatever, you only have to edit the UTI file for it. It doesn't matter how many stores carry the item; the edits will to the UTI file affect all instances of the item, so long as you load up a save from before the item was created in the game world.

If you only want to change one specific instance of the item - in other words, have Suvam sell item A and later item B - then you need to edit the store UTM file. Just as you said, make your own copy of the item with a resref and then edit the UTM to point to the new item. But this is only necessary if you want to do it.

37 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you want to change what the item is, like change its stats or description or appearance or whatever, you only have to edit the UTI file for it. It doesn't matter how many stores carry the item; the edits will to the UTI file affect all instances of the item, so long as you load up a save from before the item was created in the game world.

I just want to edit the UTI properties, but for some reason I thought this might cause problems if it's placed multiple times. Thanks for clarifying that, should be good now :)

On 5/27/2019 at 5:58 AM, JCarter426 said:

That's more of an issue with UTP, UTC, and some other types than UTI. If the item came from templates.bif, it should be fine.

Ah. How about placement, can items just be dropped in .utm files for stores and others or is it more involved? Assuming conflicts are avoided I mean.

Yes, just add the item to the UTM. So long as the UTM has a unique file name, it should be fine - and I don't believe there are any actually used by the game that don't, fortunately.