Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

MOD:VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans

VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans

Having this mod installed with TSLCRM 1.8 causes a CTD about 4/5 the way in the Visus-Nihilus cutscene (and Nihilus-Tobin custscene). Please do not use the Nihilus saber, or take it out of override for the duration of this scene, and the Tobin one.

========================================================
KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II
========================================================

Hi Poly Tin Cans

=================================

Author: Varsity Puppet/VPcombat
For: KotOR II
Date: 03.16.2011

=================================

DESCRIPTION:

I've always wanted to make a lightsaber hilt mod, but I never liked how most people would use hilts from the movies. Or if it's not that, there has to be a fancy hilt for every single different color. Well what I did here is fairly simple and should intrigue even the most skeptical of saber mod downloaders.

I remade the standard game hilts so that they look like higher definition versions of the old ones. A lot of people complained how they looked like tin cans - they still are, but with higher polygon counts. I've also included a Darth Nihilus lightsaber which is fairly close to canon apparently.

There are several subfolders which you can install -

Saber Models - This folder contains the higher polygon version hilts only. No other modifications made.

Darth Nihilus Saber - Contains the files used for adding Darth Nihilus' saber to the game. Override's Malak's Lightsaber model since it doesn't have much of a use in this game.

Fixed Icons and colors - Fixes the colors in the weapon icons for the cyan and bronze/orange lightsabers. It also restores the unused bronze lightsaber crystal and distinguishes between the orange and bronze lightsaber colors (previously, they both used the same Heart of the Guardian saber color)

Fixed Loot scripts - These loot scripts will allow the orange, bronze, silver and cyan crystals to appear more often. Previously, the bronze crystal wouldn't appear at all, and apparently neither would the cyan crystal. This should be fixed now.

COMPATIBILITY:

This is obviously not going to be compatible with any other saber mods.

INSTALL:
Put all of the files you wish to install into your override.

UNINSTALL:

Delete them from the override.

VERSIONS:

1.0-

BUGS:

None that I know of. There may be a bug where some sabers display the wrong color. If that happens, let me know and I'll fix it.

PERMISSION:

You may use this mod as you see fit. Display it in screenshots, make it compatible with your mod. However, do please give credit where it's due, and DO NOT release it with any of your mods without my permission. Thanks.

DStoney
Fred Tetra's KotorTool
Obsidian for making a game to love and hate
All of you modders out there who I've consistently studied and slowly learned from.

All materials and copyrights belong to LucasArts, BioWare Corp. and Obsidian Entertainment Inc.

Not sure if I did something wrong, but bronze and orange still look the same to me. Now they're both just changed to the color I assume is supposed to be bronze.

How compatible would just the fixed icons and colors part be with HotOR? The loot part doesn't appear to share any files, but the icons and colors do a few.

Not sure if I did something wrong, but bronze and orange still look the same to me. Now they're both just changed to the color I assume is supposed to be bronze.

Ah an important point I forgot.

If you have orange or bronze lightsabers in your inventory already, just quickly switch out the orange color crystal with another color then switch it back and it should be a nice vivid orange color.

If not, then it's some other issue.

How compatible would just the fixed icons and colors part be with HotOR? The loot part doesn't appear to share any files' date=' but the icons and colors do a few.[/quote']

Which files are conflicting?

Which files are conflicting?

iw_dblsbr_006.tga

iw_dblsbr_007.tga

iw_lghtsbr_007.tga

iw_lghtsbr_008.tga

w_Dblsbr_001.tga

w_lsabregold01.tga

w_lsabregold01.tga

iw_dblsbr_006.tga

iw_dblsbr_007.tga

iw_lghtsbr_007.tga

iw_lghtsbr_008.tga

w_Dblsbr_001.tga

w_lsabregold01.tga

w_lsabregold01.tga

Well, these are all textures. Any starting with "iw_" are item icons for the cyan and bronze sabers. HOTOR's are just slightly different.

w_lsabregold01.tga is the 'bronze' saber color. HOTOR's texture is configured to flicker, but the color is the same as the Heart of the Guardian.

w_dblsbr_001.tga is the same as the vanilla texture, just with an alpha channel. HOTOR's is a new texture that goes specifically with a saber in that mod.

Basically what it comes down to is which textures you want to use. If you've installed Hi Poly Tin Cans, I recommend using the textures in that mod.

Ah an important point I forgot.

If you have orange or bronze lightsabers in your inventory already, just quickly switch out the orange color crystal with another color then switch it back and it should be a nice vivid orange color.

If not, then it's some other issue.

Thanks, but it didn't work. But I'm pretty sure that's due to the fact that I tried to use parts of your mod and parts of Oldf'lash's replacement hilts at the same time. Even though I removed all of the files associated with the orange and bronze lightsabers from his mod and put yours in instead, the two colors stayed the same. Bummer.

Thanks, but it didn't work. But I'm pretty sure that's due to the fact that I tried to use parts of your mod and parts of Oldf'lash's replacement hilts at the same time. Even though I removed all of the files associated with the orange and bronze lightsabers from his mod and put yours in instead, the two colors stayed the same. Bummer.

Are you sure you installed everything correctly?

In order for the orange and bronze to show as different colors, you ABSOLUTELY need the following files - and no duplicates - installed from my mod.

g_w_dblsbr008.uti

g_w_lghtsbr08.uti

g_w_shortsbr008.uti

w_dblsbr_010.mdl

w_dblsbr_010.mdx

w_lghtsbr_011.mdl

w_lghtsbr_011.mdx

w_shortsbr_010.mdl

w_shortsbr_010.mdx

w_lsabreorng01.tga

w_lsabreorng01.txi

w_lsabregold01.tga

w_lsabregodl01.txi

I assume these are installed right? I can't think of anything else unless maybe they're both bronze lightsabers? :/

Well, these are all textures. Any starting with "iw_" are item icons for the cyan and bronze sabers. HOTOR's are just slightly different.

w_lsabregold01.tga is the 'bronze' saber color. HOTOR's texture is configured to flicker, but the color is the same as the Heart of the Guardian.

w_dblsbr_001.tga is the same as the vanilla texture, just with an alpha channel. HOTOR's is a new texture that goes specifically with a saber in that mod.

Basically what it comes down to is which textures you want to use. If you've installed Hi Poly Tin Cans, I recommend using the textures in that mod.

Well, HotOR is my first foray into the special hilt mods (was waiting for 1.5, which was just released), but I REALLY want the bronze and orange blades to be different (was it my one screenshot that prompted this addition, perchance?). So basically, all are safe to replace over HotOR's except for the w_dblsbr_001.tga one, if I want to retain as much of HotOR as possible and not screw everything else up?

EDIT: Okay, I just went to make a backup of the files from HotOR so I could have both saved someplace safe, and apparently I must've forgotten to C before P'ing on the last of the seven on the list. It should be w_lsabregold01.txi.

Are you sure you installed everything correctly?

In order for the orange and bronze to show as different colors, you ABSOLUTELY need the following files - and no duplicates - installed from my mod.

g_w_dblsbr008.uti

g_w_lghtsbr08.uti

g_w_shortsbr008.uti

w_dblsbr_010.mdl

w_dblsbr_010.mdx

w_lghtsbr_011.mdl

w_lghtsbr_011.mdx

w_shortsbr_010.mdl

w_shortsbr_010.mdx

w_lsabreorng01.tga

w_lsabreorng01.txi

w_lsabregold01.tga

w_lsabregodl01.txi

I assume these are installed right? I can't think of anything else unless maybe they're both bronze lightsabers? :/

I know for sure they're not both bronze lightsabers. I didn't realize the .uti files were needed since I thought those were associated with cyan. I'll go try again!

As an aside, Oldflash has a g_w_lghtsbr06.uti file that I've got in my Override. Would that conflict with this mod in any way?

EDIT: Installing those .uti files and switching out the crystals worked. Thanks for your help. ;)

Alright..... having some crystals in my possession now, I can say oh how I love the new bronze blade color! Still not as much as cyan, silver or viridian, but loved nonetheless. :) One query though. If it was a restored feature, then why isn't it in RCM proper? Or will that be something for 1.8?

Alright..... having some crystals in my possession now, I can say oh how I love the new bronze blade color! Still not as much as cyan, silver or viridian, but loved nonetheless. :) One query though. If it was a restored feature, then why isn't it in RCM proper? Or will that be something for 1.8?

TSLRCM has been long occupied with restoring mainly dialogs. Notice how other mods revolve around restoring cut story concepts (M4-78, Genoharadan Quest). Not much attention is paid to restoring weapon types, modifying textures, etc...

Well, there is the vibro-cutter, heavy mining laser.

I hope to fix the Zabrak Vibroblade display issue for 1.8, kinda forgot till I read your post 0_0.

Well, there is the vibro-cutter, heavy mining laser.

I hope to fix the Zabrak Vibroblade display issue for 1.8, kinda forgot till I read your post 0_0.

I can't say those weapons wouldn't have been in there if I didn't suggest to Stoney they should be restored... but I also can't say they would have been in there otherwise.

But you know what I mean. TSLRCM has mostly been concerned with restoring dialog, not really any other aspects of the game. It's not like there's that much missing.

TSLRCM has been long occupied with restoring mainly dialogs. Notice how other mods revolve around restoring cut story concepts (M4-78, Genoharadan Quest). Not much attention is paid to restoring weapon types, modifying textures, etc...

I can't say those weapons wouldn't have been in there if I didn't suggest to Stoney they should be restored... but I also can't say they would have been in there otherwise.

But you know what I mean. TSLRCM has mostly been concerned with restoring dialog, not really any other aspects of the game. It's not like there's that much missing.

I get what you mean, but with those cut stories, there's a lot of missing story that needed creating, right (and thus they're not in RCM)? Whereas the bronze crystal color, it's there, just not used. So how would that be any different than the other weapons restored (aside from it being more practical :))?

Obviously I have it now in my game, so I don't imagine it ever being a problem (so long as it never conflicts with future versions of RCM), but who knows if anyone else would want that feature restored without having to install a saber mod to get it (or who might not see this). Just my take on it though. Obviously it's your/Stoney/whomever else's call.

It was in Ulic's fixes, so it only made sense TSRLCM also included said weapons if we were to make said modification moot. The heavy mining laser is on a different spot though (I think I prefer Ulic's though, although that's really minor preference stuff).

1.4-1.7 had the HK Assassin Rifle (since it was spelled 'asassin rifle' or something like that. .tlk changes made that moot though, so it won't be included in 1.8 (one less file to worry about with compatibility).

Can't really say I know much non-story cut content, true. Several feats and powers work slightly different than promoted, but it's hard to say if the description is wrong or the feat/power. Cut classes, powers (besides improved beast trick perhaps. Although it lacks a description) and feats are clearly non-functional. Was the icon for bronze self-made, VP?

1.4-1.7 had the HK Assassin Rifle (since it was spelled 'asassin rifle' or something like that. .tlk changes made that moot though, so it won't be included in 1.8 (one less file to worry about with compatibility).

So the rifle is being removed entirely for 1.8? If so, I guess it's a good thing I installed that one merchant mod that allowed me to buy it on Nar Shaddaa rather then have to wait for it in the HK factory, and I'm planning on using HK a LOT more on this playthrough. :)

It was in Ulic's fixes, so it only made sense TSRLCM also included said weapons if we were to make said modification moot. The heavy mining laser is on a different spot though (I think I prefer Ulic's though, although that's really minor preference stuff).

Where was his at? I never really noticed... I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of an issue for either me or Stoney to move it or simply add another one.

You can't just add that fix to your fixed typo dialog.tlk?

Can't really say I know much non-story cut content, true. Several feats and powers work slightly different than promoted, but it's hard to say if the description is wrong or the feat/power. Cut classes, powers (besides improved beast trick perhaps. Although it lacks a description) and feats are clearly non-functional. Was the icon for bronze self-made, VP?

It's a real mess, I'll admit. As with any of my mods, they're always half mod, half restoration. I did indeed make that bronze icon, but there is enough evidence to suggest that at some point there was meant to be separate orange and bronze lightsabers. I see it like M4-78 - the content is obviously there, but we have to fill in the gaps.

So the rifle is being removed entirely for 1.8? If so, I guess it's a good thing I installed that one merchant mod that allowed me to buy it on Nar Shaddaa rather then have to wait for it in the HK factory, and I'm planning on using HK a LOT more on this playthrough. :)

No, just the obsolete .uti file.

Where was his at? I never really noticed... I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of an issue for either me or Stoney to move it or simply add another one.

The dead miner behind all the mines in the droid control center downstairs (forgot how the map is called). Where you can turn the droids on each other.

If it was up to me HK-50 got it though ;), instead of an advanced.

You can't just add that fix to your fixed typo dialog.tlk?

It is (has been for some time), which is why the file isn't needed anymore anyways.

It's a real mess, I'll admit. As with any of my mods, they're always half mod, half restoration. I did indeed make that bronze icon, but there is enough evidence to suggest that at some point there was meant to be separate orange and bronze lightsabers. I see it like M4-78 - the content is obviously there, but we have to fill in the gaps.

Well, if the color itself is already present.

Not my call, though...

Well, if the color itself is already present.

Not my call, though...

Had to make the actual color too. The evidence to suggest a bronze saber was, of course, an actual bronze crystal and the fact that there are were two utis for that Heart of the Guardian saber. In the comment section, one was labeled as bronze, the other orange, but they were both set to the same saber model (same saber color).

I understand it's hard to justify as restoration, and that's why it's not included with tslrcm.

Hmmm, maybe the other one was supposed to use the other KOTOR1 Yavin color, instead of Heart of the Guardian.

Then again, IIRC that's neither orange or bronze looking either...

Oh.... I guess I was under the impression that the colors were there already, and they were just restored; not having to be created. In that case, then okay, I can see it not being included.

Hmmm, maybe the other one was supposed to use the other KOTOR1 Yavin color, instead of Heart of the Guardian.

Then again, IIRC that's neither orange or bronze looking either...

That would be the cyan lightsaber.