Sith Holocron

FRAPS . . . and really old Star Wars games on Steam

Hey folks.  I use FRAPS to record games because it's (usually) idiot proof and I already own the full version which I got many years ago.

Today, I have been attempting to record portions of Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter but have run into a problem.  No video is created when I activate FRAPS to start recording.  From what I've gathered so far, it's because Steam is running those games using a version of DOSBox. 

Might some of you folks explain it to me how I can record what I need to record either using FRAPS or the recorder that is supposedly in DOSBox?  Keep in mind that I've hardly ever touched Steam at all and I'm completely unfamiliar with DOSBox so I'd need baby steps for this.  Pictures would help if at all possible.  Thanks for this all the way through!

PS: I told you in my status update that the project had nothing to do with M4-78!  ;)

Well, I'm halfway there . . . as it records the sound OK, but not the video.

May be codec issue. Check DOSBox install directory, it should have documents with links to required codecs.

Back again with a new dilemma.

I've had success with all of the games I've tried to record the opening logo videos for - except the one in Star Wars: Dark Forces.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Working tonight and tomorrow night so I won't have the time to actually do any work on yet but that also give me plenty of time for folks to come up with suggestions.

Thanks again for reading.

Not really a solution but a workaround:

If you're only looking for the intro videos anyway, maybe you can try and check if the intro video can be found in the game files somewhere and then use this instead of making a recording.

For me, Dark Forces 2 kept having trouble running cutscenes as they rendered outside of the game until I installed DGVoodoo and ran it from that.

Perhaps due to DGVoodoo being a wrapper and how it could run the cutscenes without having them render outside the game, FRAPS might run them properly with it installed.

Tell me more about this DGVoodoo please. A link may be helpful as well?

I don't understand it fully, but here's the link I found. https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/dgvoodoo-tutorial/

From what I understand, it's a wrapper program like NGlide for games like Dark Forces.

I was searching for ways to boost the graphics and fix some glitches and stumbled onto the site.

I will look at as soon I get off watch. It will be helpful to know in the future. (For now, Xuul has been gracious enough to get the footage I'll need for the immediate issue.)

Thanks, Malkior!

I will look at as soon I get off watch. It will be helpful to know in the future. (For now, Xuul has been gracious enough to get the footage I'll need for the immediate issue.)

Thanks, Malkior!

No problem. I'm happy to share it, as it fixed all of the problems I was having with JKE and running the cutscene movies; and hopefully it might help others as well. :)