Maphisto86

Mr.Wonko's Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy File Repository

While searching for many of the mods lost after Filefront.com closed, I came across a website run by a modder named "MrWonko". One of the parts of his larger website includes a repository of mods from the old Filefront.com domain Jedi Knight 3 Files. I downloaded a few of the mods, and they seem to be legitimate copies of the ones from the old JK3files.com website. If this is the case and the mods still work, we could back them up here too. 

Link: Mr.Wonko's JK3 Files Repository. 

It's a full backup, yes. However he doesn't have permission to host them from both FileFront or the authors of all those mods. He's doing it at his own risk. I don't recommend doing it here, to avoid the risk of being labeled as thieves, etc.

It's a full backup, yes. However he doesn't have permission to host them from both FileFront or the authors of all those mods. He's doing it at his own risk. I don't recommend doing it here, to avoid the risk of being labeled as thieves, etc.

Ah, good point. I understand there is a code of conduct but does this apply to modders who are no longer active or cannot be reached for permission? Even if said mods are attributed to the original creators?

Ah, good point. I understand there is a code of conduct but does this apply to modders who are no longer active or cannot be reached for permission? Even if said mods are attributed to the original creators?

Yes and Yes.

No. 

(((:

Mod edit: Please do not contradict DeadlyStream staff on matters of policy again in future.

- InSidious

Yes? No? Maybe? :P Either way, I won't re-post here without the modders permission if that is the rule of thumb. I can get why that is as some mod creators are particular about where their creations end up. Nevertheless, it is a shame when a good mod someone put a lot of work into vanishes into the internet memory hole when a domain goes down. :(

A lot of folks have been showing up here since the dissolution of Filefront and the blackout of Lucasforums.

It is the current code which is supported and observed in its entirety by this community to give the right and permission of uploading mods to the maker/s of said mod.

If they wrote in their mod or mod page to not upload it without their permission, then we have no right under any circumstance to do so out of respect for the mod holder.

I realize that this is frightfully similar to the plight we face with copyright, but modders volunteer their time to create mods for our benefit, and the least we could do is honor that.

I think it's particularly silly because then it just becomes a case of asking someone who has the mod; or Google Drive.

Or in the case of KOTOR; the "Filefront Archiver" whomever they are were smart enough to upload these mods to NexusMods regardless of permissions.

Unless you can contact the mods Author it's an unfathomably stupid rule to me.

I think it's particularly silly because then it just becomes a case of asking someone who has the mod; or Google Drive.

Or in the case of KOTOR; the "Filefront Archiver" whomever they are were smart enough to upload these mods to NexusMods regardless of permissions.

Unless you can contact the mods Author it's an unfathomably stupid rule to me.

I am inclined to agree, but if there is a consensus on this site that mods should not be distributed without the express permission of the modders themselves, who am I to argue? :sleep:  

It's not a matter of preserving mods, its the ill-intent of some people that upload them and take credit OR certain modders specifically don't want anyone to upload their content places without their permission. Even if you give credit or show that the real author made it, they didn't give permission to be uploaded anywhere but where they uploaded it.

However we have a semi-loose rule at JKHub about this. I believe it's black/white here as far as that goes.

It's pretty much black/white here yes. But can you tell us how it goes over at JKHub?

I don't know about things pre-2012, but I know that a lot of us felt vindicated in the current rules when Filefront went down and people were uploading stuff to the Steam Workshop despite us telling them that certain types of mods simply wouldn't work that way. Also, some people would upload a mod by a still active modder, say they'd remove it if the modder wanted them to, and then point blank refused to do so when the modder wanted it taken down but didn't plan to put it up on the Workshop themselves.

At that point, it boiled down to "I'll still keep it up here so that it's up here, no matter what your [the original mod author's] thoughts are on the matter." And that idea got a lot of support from the Steam community, so it's not a big surprise why that modder doesn't have a lot of sympathy or empathy for the Steam community of KotOR 1/2...

It's also a matter of mod author's origin. Sometimes people come to international sites with their own agenda about how modding should be done.

For example: many of you know that I'm Russian. In most Russian modding communities* (not only KotOR/TSL, but ANY game modding community) mods were always considered like "open source" stuff (anybody can modify and/or upload mods to other sites as long as credit to original author is given).

When I first came to Lucasforums (10 or 11 years ago, I can't remember for sure) it felt really strange that people don't allow to use their stuff (or just re-upload their mods to other sites) without explicit permission. I've got used to it, and now can I understand why many of us demand to be asked for permissions, but I can also understand people who naively think that asking author permission is not necessary.

BTW, not giving credit to original author was always a "no-no" even in our communities (at least large ones, NOBODY cared about sites with 20 visits/day).

Edit: * - in most OLD Russian modding communities. I can't talk about modern ones - JKO/KJA/KotOR/TSL/ communities where I was an active member are long since dead. And they were the largest of Russian modding sites for these games.

At JKHub we require author's permission to be uploaded, and if it's granted, we move the file to a neutral account, and make sure the author's name is the biggest font and saying it's theirs. If someone can't reach the author at all, we allow it to be uploaded if it's been longer than 30 days since they attempted contact. And we have a link for the original author to contact us if they want it taken down. That's handled completely by us, no need to even tell the uploader because it's not even their file.

We do ask for proof of attempted contact with a timestamp, like from an email or PM or something. That way we can show the author an attempt was made.

We made that the new policy because we understand that a lot of JK modders simply moved on from the community completely, and probably will never return to upload their files. But if they knew FileFront was gone and JKHub was the main place for their mods to be downloaded, I'm pretty confident they'd be okay with it. And if not, we can take it down.

Obviously this is a grey area, especially around here, but we feel it's the best compromise we could reach.