Sign in to follow this  
Darthportus

Shiny textures not working in Kotor 2

Hello guys, I know there is probably a similar topic somewhere but i couldn't find any that would include my problem. The thing is that all textures that supposed to shine (droids, swords, lightsaber hilts etc.) don't do it they are not transparent tough. I read somewhere that it is caused by Intel integrated cards but I am using my dedicated NVidia card (GT 755m). Does someone know a fix for that problem ? I know that it is just a cosmetic problem - nothing that is game play altering - but I would really want to play this game with the best visuals.

You're on laptop, right? Most of them have integrated AND dedicated cards these days, so check out if game really using dedicated one. The game is really old, so it's possible that your system "thinks" that an integrated video is enough for it.

Also, try to update or downgrade graphic card driver - I once had such problem with one particular driver version (don't remember which one exactly, it was a long time ago).

...they are not transparent tough....

Some weeks ago I made T3-M4 and HK-47 shiny, next to adding the CM_Baremetal entry I also had to add transparency to the textures. Some textures already have transparency in them but those didn't. I think I settled for only a little bit of transparency, something like 10%.

You're on laptop, right? Most of them have integrated AND dedicated cards these days, so check out if game really using dedicated one. The game is really old, so it's possible that your system "thinks" that an integrated video is enough for it.

Also, try to update or downgrade graphic card driver - I once had such problem with one particular driver version (don't remember which one exactly, it was a long time ago).

I set Kotor 2 to use my dedicated card and my drivers are up to date though I didn't try to downgrade.

Some weeks ago I made T3-M4 and HK-47 shiny, next to adding the CM_Baremetal entry I also had to add transparency to the textures. Some textures already have transparency in them but those didn't. I think I settled for only a little bit of transparency, something like 10%.

Is there a tutorial for adding transparency ?

Ok i tried to alter appearence.2da file using the tutorial posted on this forum. And changed envmap value to CM_Baremetal. What it did was that texture became solid intead of being transparent which is improvement but not realy what i want to achive. When i opened appearence.2da file again i noticed that all values reveret back to DEFAULT so i was thinking if the game somehow overrites my settings and that's why it doesn't work for me.

The Kotortool has an odd idiosyncracy where it won't properly save values if you don't click on another row after having changed values. It might sound strange, but it might work if you click on another row after making your changes prior to saving.

The Kotortool has an odd idiosyncracy where it won't properly save values if you don't click on another row after having changed values. It might sound strange, but it might work if you click on another row after making your changes prior to saving.

What do you mean by click on another row ? You mean Clicking on different file in Kotor tool or you mean different texture info in appearence.2da ?

Different info. So, like a different entry than the one you're editing within the Appearance.2da

Different info. So, like a different entry than the one you're editing within the Appearance.2da

Well i did that and still it change back when i start the game. Even if i set it to read only.

Well i did that and still it change back when i start the game. Even if i set it to read only.

Wait, will it even let you save it in the Override folder?

Wait, will it even let you save it in the Override folder?

Yeah it does. I think the game somewhow ignores the .Da2 file in override dicrectory and useing default one instead. When i open it from Kotor tool it's the default one but when i load up the one from override the changed values are there.

Ok i sucessfuly managed to make T3 shiny however HK units stubornely refuses to be shiny too and only became partialy invisible. Beginig to think they are doing this on purpose :(.