Sign in to follow this  
Jorak Uln

Kotor/Neverwinter III Legacy???

Ive came across this "project", and while im not sure how serious the author is taking it, one thought was quite remarkable:

"Pretty much every Placeable object in KotOR is now in NWN, the very wonderful Estelindis converted the majority of all the character head models" ....

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/kotor-heads

http://neverwintervault.org/search/node/kotor

While, its great to have the assets (like animations) of Kotor in Neverwinter Nights, for me the much more interesting question is:

Does it work vice-versa - to get features of NWN to Kotor? Like new talents, restoring the belts etc.?

Porting discussion lockdown in 3, 2, 1....

Yeah sadly even if we did find anything of use in NWN files that could become a super revolution in what can be done with kotor, we wouldn't be able to use it due to porting (well, at least not here).

Yeah sadly even if we did find anything of use in NWN files that could become a super revolution in what can be done with kotor, we wouldn't be able to use it due to porting (well, at least not here).

well - textures from other games can be emulated, models too, wouldnt it work for code/scripting as well?

To use very similar entirely self-made assets but not exactly the same to get around the porting issue?

There are belts textures left in Kotor tool.

I am still not certain what you mean.

There are belt icon's from NWN inside KOTOR's files?

I am still not certain what you mean.

There are belt icon's from NWN inside KOTOR's files?

No. The belt textures are from Kotor 2, but Obsidian didnt have the time to make appropriate models for them;

im not really into the NWN scene, but they seem to use new cloak models utilising the belt slot & other trickery, so that could give  some sort of new inspiration..

No. The belt textures are from Kotor 2, but Obsidian didnt have the time to make appropriate models for them;

Are you saying that at one point in development, equipping a belt was to have a representative model show on the character's avatar, like headgear?

NWN cloak models do not use the belt slot.

There are two versions of cloaks in NWN that exist: there are the one's that existed prior to the 1.69 (final) update released by Bioware, commonly found in CEP; these attach a visual cape from the "neck" slot of a character's armor (preventing you from using any other model on that neck slot in the process - if you removed the armor, the cloak would go too, since it was part of the armor's appearance).

1.69 was released, introducing far better cloaks, whose visual models were associated with the actual cloak items you could equip into your cloak inventory slot, rather than the armor your character was wearing.

This cloak workaround used before 1.69 was only possible because armor operated on a 'parts-based' modular system. So you could mix and match different pieces to get a different look; KOTOR doesn't use a system like this, unfortunately, and without hacking the .exe somehow I don't see a way to make belts produce a model on the character when equipped. Furthermore, it might look funny with certain armor models :/

Actually, there are belt models in the game - i_belt_001 through 014. As has been discussed before, though, you need a hook on the body models for anything to appear (and I don't believe they have belt hooks) and you also need a way of telling the game to render the belt model on the belt hook when it's equipped... which nobody has figured out how to do in KOTOR, to my knowledge. Some of it seems to be in the 2DAs but I could never get anything new to show up when I messed around with it. The key data could very well be hard coded.

If the body models were more like NWN2 then all these issues would be easy to fix, but unfortunately it's not going to happen without implementing a patch to the exe that changes the whole system of how bodies are handled. To me it seems like something they wanted to implement but git scrubbed and they forgot to take the files out of the game.the only way to use those unused textures is to modify every body model and add the belt model to armors and robes, replacing that part of the body texture with the belt texture, 2da edits, uti, and then figure out how to tie it in to the existing items without messing up anything. It's a lot of work. I considered it, but until i feel crazy enough to try it im holding off.

Any further discussion about altering the EXE will cause a thread lock.

Porting discussion lockdown in 3, 2, 1....

Looks like I made the threat of lockdown for a different reason. :: shrugs ::

Previous warning rescinded. Expect rules changes clarifying discussion of EXE files to be released soon.

Please continue.