Darth_Sapiens

Kotor on android

Hey guys, I just got KOTOR for android and I am going through the process of figuring out how to mod the game - on android that is.

For brevity's sake, I'll keep updating my progress here. Once I have this all figured out, I'll make some tutorials. My posts might get a little technical though.

First things first: the game isn't supported on all devices. I could get it on my phone (A Samsung Galaxy S4) but not on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4")

If you back it up from a supported device and install it on the unsupported device, theoretically it should be able to play. (I'm testing this out right now.) Eventually they'll flip the switch to allow more devices to use it, but you can't get it through the play store for an unsupported device until then.

From what I can tell, the .obb files are simply .zip archives with an .obb extension. Hopefully there are no file checks because then we can easily modify these as they aren't encrypted.

I'll post an update as soon as I can.

What I found on my own is:

For the purpose of Modding the Android version of Kotor, I dug into the game files on my Android phone ( the directory was Computer(Phone name)\Internal storage\Android\obb\com.aspyr.swkotor). What I found is that currently the Kotor game folder has 2 .obb files which are being used as alternative to .zip files. One is named main.17.com.aspyr.swkotor.obb the other; patch.17.com.aspyr.swkotor.obb I then extracted these with 7zip and found that patch 17 contains the movies folder, and the Override folder while main 17 has everything else. Attempts to use a TSL patcher failed because the override folder is separated fro the rest of the game, however I was able to manually bring Override-only mods into the override folder. I then Re-zipped the patch 17 folder into obb with 7zip and placed it back into the game folder, and used the original .obb for main 17. Unfortunately, upon launching the Kotor app again it gave me an error message informing me that I may not have purchased the game. Re installing the game fixed the errors but the mods were deleted in the process. I hoped someone can use this information to get farther into Modding Kotor than I was able to.

It perhaps concerns me that bypassing file-protection without the permission of the legal owner of the app, may constitute an illegal activity.

I might suggest we at least verify that we are allowed to alter the files, since this is a new program and likely is covered by a different contract.

It perhaps concerns me that bypassing file-protection without the permission of the legal owner of the app, may constitute an illegal activity.

I might suggest we at least verify that we are allowed to alter the files, since this is a new program and likely is covered by a different contract.

that's not what the file check is for necessarily, the game verifies it to make sure you don't get a virus, but there is a separate online licence check hat is unrelated to the archive check that validates that you own the game. the funny thing is obb files can be encrypted very easily as a developer, you see this all the time with SE's mobile games (square soft), however, these obbs aren't at all. however, that doesn't mean we can get around the archive check for sure. of course this and any other sort of modification violates the eula, however so does any sort of modding the PC games.

as well ios modding requires a jailbreak and modifying the app, but this is discussed openly on LF.

anyways i'm interested to see what we can find out about the engine now that it's on android, maybe we'll figure out some of this bump mapping stuff on it too lol.

Also, if we manage to get kotor modding on the mobile devices, who knows what that'll mean for the community. we could bolster our numbers again, maybe.

And as we all know from experience it only takes a handful of good moddders to keep the community alive, but for it to really live we need more than the 20 or so active ones (don't quote me on that number, active is rather subjective as a term) we have left, compared to skyrim or even morrowind we are quite a puny crew, numbers would do wonders for us, when people see their mods being used, it may even draw old modders back, we really don't know what could happen then.

Modding KOTOR on Android actually seems to be very straightforward, as proven in this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=217762

You just dump your mod files in Sdcard0/Android/data/com.aspyr.swkotor/files/override - forget about mucking around with the obb files! So far I have just tried Weapons of the Old Republic and HK-47 Melee Saber Mod - both work perfectly on my Galaxy S5.

Of course you don't have the command console on Android which may limit what you can do, however fortunately savegames from Windows will import directly across to Android (copy into dcard0/Android/data/com.aspyr.swkotor/files/saves).

All this means I can resurrect my long-abandoned modded dark side playthrough of KOTOR (last played in 2011!) for playing on my phone. Hurrah!

Modding KOTOR on Android actually seems to be very straightforward, as proven in this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=217762

You just dump your mod files in Sdcard0/Android/data/com.aspyr.swkotor/files/override - forget about mucking around with the obb files! So far I have just tried Weapons of the Old Republic and HK-47 Melee Saber Mod - both work perfectly on my Galaxy S5.

Of course you don't have the command console on Android which may limit what you can do, however fortunately savegames from Windows will import directly across to Android (copy into dcard0/Android/data/com.aspyr.swkotor/files/saves).

All this means I can resurrect my long-abandoned modded dark side playthrough of KOTOR (last played in 2011!) for playing on my phone. Hurrah!

wow, no obb's = YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brotherhood of Shadow on my android device.

https://imageshack.com/i/exTmRR2vp

https://imageshack.com/i/idZTqYqMp

https://imageshack.com/i/pclLJuhDp

I think that the area load crashes that some people are reporting are due to kotor running out of allocated memory for the specified module. On my quad core multi gig note three i am able to run bos, taris and ebon hawk hd, 90sks robes amd various hilt packs with no problem. On rare occasion the frames will lag. If i enter an area during the lag it crashed but if i quicksave then reload the save the area loads just fine. (Aka the orion module crashed upon area transition on rare occasions. ) placing bos's bik files in a movies folder in the /files directory caused them to load properly. However tge 2das especially global.jrl haf to go into the override folder.

• Like 1

Brotherhood of Shadow on my android device.

https://imageshack.com/i/exTmRR2vp

https://imageshack.com/i/idZTqYqMp

https://imageshack.com/i/pclLJuhDp

I think that the area load crashes that some people are reporting are due to kotor running out of allocated memory for the specified module. On my quad core multi gig note three i am able to run bos, taris and ebon hawk hd, 90sks robes amd various hilt packs with no problem. On rare occasion the frames will lag. If i enter an area during the lag it crashed but if i quicksave then reload the save the area loads just fine. (Aka the orion module crashed upon area transition on rare occasions. ) placing bos's bik files in a movies folder in the /files directory caused them to load properly. However tge 2das especially global.jrl haf to go into the override folder.

HEADS UP:

Part of an email I just received:

First and foremost; thank you so much for your continued work on KSE.

Now that I've said that, I have been able to successfully edit Android/iOS save games with KSE by copying the savefiles  to the PC.

Also, the overrides files can be used with the Android/iOS as long as you place the overrides folder where your saves folder is.

Apologies for the poor quality pics. Just to demonstrate the Roleplay Padawan Mod working. :D
  • Like 1

K1RP, Rtas Vadum's MedHypo mod, and Inyri's 8 Male Heads mod all work(screenshots below).

I've also installed:

Silveredge's BoS:SR,

Inyri's Recruitably Kay,

T7's Revan's Mask Plus,

Endar Spire Dialogue Enhancement,

90SK's K1 Robes mod,

Silveredge's Ajunta Pall's unique apperance,

JdNoa's alternate ending mod,

my Korriban Academy Workbench,

Agent Xim's Spynet Gear,

Operation Kill Bastila by Dark_lord_cheez

Knight of Alderaan beta by JediMaster76

SithSpecter's Revan's Cape fix,

RedHawke's ORD Mandell,

Darth333's Kill Yuka Laka,

MasterZionosis' Kill Star Forge Jedi,

The All In One Force Power Mod by Darth333, Darth Khasei, GameUnlimited, tk102 Andargor, Beancounter and KnightFxr,

Content Pack 1 by TamerBill and UnknownJedi,

My Jedi General Robe mod,

My Four Force Powers mod,

Star Admiral's K1 Force Pack v2,

and Inyri's spice mod.

On the whole I've avoided graphical mods since I'm running this on a phone, and space and RAM are limited. Of the ones I haven't taken screenshots of, 90SK's robes, ORD Mandell, AIOFPM, Four Force Powers, K1 Force Pack, Content Pack 1, and K1RP all seem to be running OK so far.

• Like 1

Yeah, everything should run fine. The only things that have changed is the UI, for the most part. All assets are the same.

Yeah, it all looks good so far, though custom VOs don't work at the moment. I'm guessing there's a format issue. Also several people on LF are reporting the same crash during BoS on entering the mining facility. No idea what that's about though.

Yeah, it all looks good so far, though custom VOs don't work at the moment. I'm guessing there's a format issue. Also several people on LF are reporting the same crash during BoS on entering the mining facility. No idea what that's about though.

Could the format thing perhaps be MP3 Vs. WAV, or the encoding?

Could the format thing perhaps be MP3 Vs. WAV, or the encoding?

Neither seems to work. My guess is encoding.

Interestingly i can run the game but all characters and lights anything lighted is colored red.....

Also on side note the oldie but goodie Pakscape program can view the obb files...like it does with pk3

Pakscape can view the obb files because both. Obb and .pk3s are just renamed .zip files. abit. Obb has very very slight formatting differences but both can be opened and extracted by zip file programs. Some you have to rename the. Obb file tho. Also are your characters textures in the files/override folder? If yes you might be suffering the jedi academy on android issue on note ones where the phone doesn't have enough memory to display as many custom textures. My note 3 works fine but i had issues with jka for android back on my note 1 that may be similar to your issue on kotor.

Long time no see... Lol i come and i go i guess. now, on the topic of custom voice overs: Seeing as we can extract the vos from the android release, I'll take a look and see what there format is, in theory it should work, lol but I can only get the game working on my s4 ATM, so testing is a bit of a pain. (I'm running a custom ROM on my tab S.)

On a side note, iirc if they get this game on android running well I heard somewhere they might port tsl to iOS and android too. Guess we can hope :)

Hey,

So I was definitely interested in adding some mods to this game after I found out it was possible...however reading on what you all have done I am having some issues. The location you referred to to dump the mod files (Override folder) doesn't show up for me. The Android/data/com.aspyr.swkotor/files/override doesn't exist for me...there are no files or override folders in the app data. I tried creating my own knowing it probably wouldn't work, and sure enough it didn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!post-13900-0-34421900-1426990640_thumb.png

Hello everyone! Had to sign up just to toss some questions out there.

have been able to mod my Android KOTOR version by dumping files into the OVERRIDE folder, i'm wondering how anyone has been able to get more advanced mods (i.e. K1R, BOS, etc...) working that involve more than a OVERRIDE file dump? I copied out the OBB files, extracted them to individual folders.

On mine I get 3 files in OBB - main17, patch17, and patch24. Patch 24 contains the following folders: data, movies, override, and a bunch of TLK files (tv_dialogxxx)

So just for shits and giggles I combined all folders together trying to replicate a PC version so the TSL Patcher would work. Think I got it working ok, it was able to patch everything as needed without errors. The question is.. HOW DO I RESTORE THE OBB FILES WITHOUT THE file verification going haywire. For reference, i tried to zip back up the folders using "store". the file was 1.99gb now 2.3 or something like that. Obviously didn't work, but I see others were able to get more-than-override mods working. I have scoured the internet, they all pretty much say dump mods into override, or download my amazing mod pack (which i dont want to do as I want to be able to pick\choose the mods i want)

Obviously there are compatibility issues with certain mods, but i was really interested in the K1R, BOS and some others.

Any ideas\thoughts would be appreciated!

p.s. You guys rock