Gorgod

KOTOR Tool Issues

So basically as of late, suddenly, my KOTOR Tool now refuses to be opened a second time after installation. I mean, it does, but it shows the following message upon start-up with the header "Microsoft .NET" :

Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kotor Tool\Global Templates\K2\K1TemplateTags.bfd" is denied.

So I'm like um ok, and I just click continue. But then, when I click any node in the tree to expand or anything like that, it gives me another error, this time with the header "kotor_tool" that pops up some three times before I can finally get to what I want.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kotor Tool\settings.xml" is denied.
  at System.IO._Error.WinlOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 buffersize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String Path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
  at kotor_tool.UserSettings.SaveSettings(Options currentSettings)

And then I click on another node and the process starts up again. It is extremely obnoxious and my past solution was to just reinstall it and keep it open and never close it, but now I see how impractical that is. Not to mention it won't even let me open any TSL files for some reason, even though I have selected my installation directory. Every time I open KOTOR Tool the directory for TSL is cleared and there is no option to expand anything. I'm about to pull my hair out so a solution would be amazing.

Try reinstalling a couple times. I think I've had this issue before and that cleared it up.

Install it somewhere other than program files, many files in program files are given read only access to programs(yes, sometimes even their own files!, common problem with Skyrim tools) which sounds like it may be the cause of your issues.

Install it somewhere other than program files, many files in program files are given read only access to programs(yes, sometimes even their own files!, common problem with Skyrim tools) which sounds like it may be the cause of your issues.

This worked. Thanks to both of you guys for the help.

However, I still can't access the TSL files... any solutions for that?

This worked. Thanks to both of you guys for the help.

However, I still can't access the TSL files... any solutions for that?

If not using the 4CD version, you might not have registry keys for it. Does KSE work just fine?

Make sure you're running it as administrator. After that, if you're still not able, try moving the files to a different folder (ie desktop) and try accessing them. If that fixes it, then its the same issue. You may want to disable the UAC on your pc if this is the case, as you'll likely run into the problem more.

If not using the 4CD version, you might not have registry keys for it. Does KSE work just fine?

I have the Steam version, and KSE does not work with TSL either.

Make sure you're running it as administrator. After that, if you're still not able, try moving the files to a different folder (ie desktop) and try accessing them. If that fixes it, then its the same issue. You may want to disable the UAC on your pc if this is the case, as you'll likely run into the problem more.

Tried both of those things, still no luck.

I have the Steam version, and KSE does not work with TSL either.

Tried both of those things, still no luck.

Paste this into notepad and change the path to wherever you installed the game. Then save it as "Kotor2.reg", with the quotes. Then run it and try KSE or Kotor Tool again.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2]
"Installing Name"="Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords"
"GUID"="{629F65FB-7F3C-4D66-A1C0-20722744B7B6}"
"LastInstalledVersion"=dword:00000001
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\SWKotOR2"
"Language"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2\SecuROM]
"ADMIN_RIGHTS"="No administrator rights. Please logon as an administrator."
"AUTH_TIMEOUT"="Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit."
"NO_DISC"="Please insert the Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II Play disc."
"NO_DRIVE"="No CD/DVD-ROM drive found."
"TITLEBAR"="Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II: The Sith Lords(TM)"
"WRONG_DISC"="Please insert the Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II Play disc."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2\SWUpdate]

Paste this into notepad and change the path to wherever you installed the game. Then save it as "Kotor2.reg", with the quotes. Then run it and try KSE or Kotor Tool again.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2]
"Installing Name"="Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords"
"GUID"="{629F65FB-7F3C-4D66-A1C0-20722744B7B6}"
"LastInstalledVersion"=dword:00000001
"Language"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2\SecuROM]
"ADMIN_RIGHTS"="No administrator rights. Please logon as an administrator."
"AUTH_TIMEOUT"="Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit."
"NO_DISC"="Please insert the Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II Play disc."
"NO_DRIVE"="No CD/DVD-ROM drive found."
"TITLEBAR"="Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II: The Sith Lords(TM)"
"WRONG_DISC"="Please insert the Star Wars(R) Knights of the Old Republic(R) II Play disc."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2\SWUpdate]

No dice with this solution either :(

Did you replace the path? How about restarting the computer?

What error messages do you get from KSE and KT?

Yeah, I replaced the path. I assume by the path you mean this line:

To this line:

"Path"="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II"

I didn't restart my computer, though, so I'll do that now.

Also, it doesn't show an error message, just no data or nodes or anything. Almost as if I didn't have the game at all.

UPDATE- KSE works fine, now- however, KOTOR Tool still doesn't show TSL files.

UPDATE 2- Found a thread on LF that described my problem and how to fix it :) thanks everyone for all the help