Dark_Ansem

Game recommendation for starship lovers :)

I'd like to recommend the game in my signature for all fans of starship combat :)

It's starpoint gemini 2, trailer available here :)

It's a very fun game even now, and definitely not a disappointment like X-rebirth.

The developers are amazing, the Early Access is almost over and the game will be released in Autumn.

The game is also going to be extremely moddable, and I am personally already planning\working towards a Star Wars mod :)

Give it a shot, everyone. It's not overly expensive and holds a lot of promise. Previews everywhere were enthusiastic:

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/04/starpoint-gemini-2-early-access-preview

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/previews/10932-Starpoint-Gemini-2-Preview-Power-to-Engines

http://www.gamesonsmash.com/2014/03/starpoint-gemini-2-preview-journey-into-the-stars/

http://techzwn.com/2014/04/preview-starpoint-gemini-2/

http://www.dealspwn.com/starpoint-gemini-2-early-access-preview-165824

http://calmdowntom.com/2014/01/should-i-be-excited-about-starpoint-gemini-2/

Well you should also look out for Galactic Civilizations 3. It will be out soon and will feature a ship editor, just like it's predecessor!

that is way too expensive right now, and it's turn based :P

Different games however, atm. that one is more oriented to build an empire.

This is is more about combat and offers a very unique RPG experience.

From what I've seen Starpoint Gemini 2 is very impressive, indeed. Have you ever played Egosoft's X-Series? X-Rebirth is rubbish, but the other games are epic! And they are Combat-RPGs with a lot of space battles, too.

I played one of the X games on Gametap a little while ago. Was my all-time favorite alongside Tachyon: The Fringe which I still play to this day. (Seriously, Bruce Campbell voiceover never dies.. :)  )

I'm a  die-hard starfighter game player, but have had such difficulty finding anything good. Tried Vendetta; got sick of the griefing.. and yeah, X-Rebirth was a step backward...

DA, could you go into some detail on what this game is about - in your own words - rather than just telling us that it's good and we should download it?

Of course I can. Even if you ask like that :P

this game is a very unique experience of space combat-role playing and exploration.

Up until now, it is much focused on combat, but there are already various option for the *gulp* non-violent player, such as trading, mining, repairing structures. There is only freeroam right now, but at release the game will feature a story-driven campaign with a set protagonist, kinda like Mass Effect. Expansions, however, will be more free, as custom campaigns will be.

If I had to find a drawback, I'd say that voice-acting is not for everyone. I personally find it a bit irritating, but not everyone can hire actors such as Seth Green or Jennifer Hale :) It is adequate, for the moment. Who know, I might learn to love it :P

The only other drawback that I can think of is technical optimization: while for an Early access the game is incredibly polished and full of content, I have high hopes it will get even better for the final release.

it has a very Command-like feel, with a complex interface spread across the keyboard and a myriad of factors when it combat, which are only going to improve with the release: targetting specific systems, boarding, hiring officers etc.

The rpg-system is good, even if basic. one chooses a class with 4 unique skills which augment ship systems. later on, modders should be able to create their own classes and skills (I am already investigating this, FYI).

The sound compartment is very good for the OST (battle music has still to be implemented, mind you) and good, but not brilliant, for the SFX: they are not captivating like Star Wars or Star Trek :P

It is not bug-free: certain weapon types are bugged (mostly beams) and hiccups still happen, but I've been early accessing since alpha, and I am still not bored of it :)

Add to that, the developers are great: there is a reason this game is considered the Early Access ambassador, and it is because of them: they are the greatest I have seen, listening and providing feedback like none other. A lot of in-game features were in fact suggested by the community.

Add to that: even right now, the game is moddable and customizable. a total conversion (Mass effect) is already in the works, someone has already done Star Trek ships and I have made a priority to get Star Wars in the game :) including some Old Republic Ships.

In short: it's a very unique space-sim even now, and it will be even better on release. Think of it as Neverwinter Nights in space, without the famous voice actors but with a more intuitive yet complex gameplay.

"UA" was courtesy of auto-correct. LOL

What program will you use to create the models? Have you thought of making a poll for this thread of KOTOR era ships to include?

It is premature.

Besides, there are 2 obvious ships: the Leviathan model and the Ravager model :)

Program? the free edition of 3ds max 2015, in any case.