Markus Ramikin

Out of combat regen - nifty idea but I can't get it to work

I had this cool notion that If you increase the outofcombatfpbase value in regeneration.2da to, say, 5.0, this gives a nice boost to out-of-combat regeneration of Force points. Ideally this doesn't make the game easier, since in-combat regen stays the same, it just makes it so you don't have to wait long between combats for your Force to recover. I tried it, and it's wonderfully convenient.

Unfortunately, it also revealed an exploitable issue with how the game determines if you are "in combat". For example, suppose I have a party including the PC, Atton, and Kreia, and I attack something with the PC. If I quickly switch to Kreia before she also attacks, I can start spamming heals and protective buffs endlessly, while keeping the rapid regeneration. As long as I don't actually engage something, and keep casting spells, the game will keep thinking Kreia isn't in combat.

Note that this problem exists in vanilla, and even though it isn't as severe without an increased outofcombatfpbase value, it's still a very real exploit. So does anyone have any brilliant ideas how it could be eliminated? Where exactly does the game do these calculations?

I already determined that the "c_foeinsight" and "c_cnpccombat" scripts are not responsible for this, because even setting them to return True unconditionally doesn't stop the increased regen. Beyond that, I am not sure where to look.

Just tossing it out there in case anyone can help.

EDIT: sometimes the party member keeps the increased regen even if they attack an enemy. I don't get it.

Modifying regeneration.2da makes it so the non-PC character instantly recharges ANY FP and VP damage, doesn't matter whatever values you have in it (those new values are only applied to the PC).

That's what you're noticing, not "in combat detection".

So, you probably should steer clear of modifying it.

EDIT: And no, I have no idea how to fix that :(

Is there a way to make a "Stim" that refills Force Points that is not use usable in combat? I mean that would enable a character to recharge all force points and you could always flavor it like a force recharging crystal or something like that.

Or call it something, like "meditate"? I normally stand in a corner away from combat to recharge fp, so it'd work for me. :)

Didn't oldflash include something like this in his "final touch" mod?