Sign in to follow this  
alinadem

NVIDIA GFX Guide

Simple Nvidia Guide to avoid crashing - Updated 10/26/14

Note -> If you have a decent Nvidia GPU, use this updated guide.

Okay so I have a GTX 470, noticed that when I wanted to load games in Kotor 2 TSL, I'd get immediate artifacts and a crash. I attempted many times to reinstall, remove mods, etc. Ultimately, through trial and error I realized that the problem was that (Threaded Optimization) in Nvidia Control Panel, was set to "ON".

To FIX this crash set to "Auto" or "Off". "Off" is recommended, though Auto worked for me as well.

-------------------------LEGEND--------------------------
RED = Compatibility / Stability Issue
PINK = Visual Boost
GREEN = Optimal / Performance Friendly
----------------------------------------------------------------

Ambient Occlusion = OFF - No native support
Anisotropic Filtering = Application Controlled (16x In Game)
Antialiasing - FXAA = OFF - May or may not cause issues, I recommend off since this is a 'fake' overlay AA and blurs the screen / font.
Antialiasing Gamma Correction = ON
Antialiasing Setting = Application Controlled | 4 - 8x Recommended In Game
Antialiasing Transparency = Multisampling
CUDA GPUs = Use Global Setting (ALL)
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = Use the 3d Application Setting
Multi-display / Mixed GPU Acceleration = Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode = Adaptive | Change To "Prefer Maximum Performance" if needed
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization = ON "Shouldn't be relevant since TSL renders with OpenGL, though keep on no loss."
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias = Clamp
Texture Filtering - Quality = Performance (Opting for High Quality will avoid your GPU from enabling its texture optimization features. Good Balance)
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization = ON (FPS Boost, Relevant to DirectX. Enabled, recommended)
Threaded Optimization = OFF (The Culprit for causing immediate crash / CTD) Keep this OFF
Triple Buffering = ON (Enhanced Smoothness)
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Filter Optimization = OFF (Default)
Vertical Sync = ON (Old game, hence high chance of screen tear for powerful GPUs)

My Recommended MAX FPS Settings GPUS ~ Geforce 6xxx / 7xxx / 8xxx Low - Mid Series

Ambient Occlusion = OFF - No native support
Anisotropic Filtering = OFF
Antialiasing - FXAA = OFF
Antialiasing Gamma Correction = ON
Antialiasing Mode = OFF
Antialiasing Setting = OFF
Antialiasing Transparency = OFF
CUDA GPUs = Use Global Setting (ALL)
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = Use the 3d Application Setting | Lower values benefit if you experience delayed response from mouse due to lag, etc.
Multi-display / Mixed GPU Acceleration = Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode = Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization = ON
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias = Allow
Texture Filtering - Quality = High Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization = ON
Threaded Optimization = OFF
Triple Buffering = OFF
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Filter Optimization = OFF (Default)
Vertical Sync = OFF (Will help pump out a bit more FPS, turn on if screen tearing occurs - Also you can use Adaptive instead)

Further Optimization Steps

1) Download the latest DirectX Runtime
2) Download the latest Nvidia or ATI Drivers

3) Replace the default "Mss32.dll" in your default Kotor 2 Directory with This Replacement. Keep a backup just in-case.

4) Right click on your Kotor 2 Directory, Click Properties. Unmark "Read Only". Click Apply, and OK. Hit OK again for the Menu to exit. (This avoids writing issues to files)

5) Right click on swkotor2.exe, Click Properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab. Click "Run this program in compatibility mode for" In the window select "Windows XP Service Pack 2". Also Select "Disable Visual Themes", and "Run this program as an administrator". Hit "OK" now go back and apply those same steps to launcher.exe and swupdate.exe

- Will update this thread to help others, any thoughts and recommendations regarding tweaks and graphical overhauls would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Edited by alinadem
  • Like 1

I got exactly same problem with Nvidia gtx 275.

To solve it i just added the line:

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

In the kotor2.ini file in the graphic options part, and everything is fine.

I have a NVIDIA 8400GS which I've overclocked a little bit. Any suggestions? Also I'm running Windows 7 and 6 GBs of RAM.

Of course I have done all the fixes and installation things for KotOR to work on W7 but I still feel it should be able to run the KotOR games FLAWLESSLY but the game still lags up whenever there is smoke/fog including fire and explosions. Enabling grass also make its run laggy.

I'm running a GeForce GT 630M (Laptop) and using a significant amount of mods, and I noticed a massive increase in both speed and quality with your balanced settings. Also, a bug where the cursor would be pressing underneath the actual location of the cursor disappeared, so thank you.

EDIT: Originally the game ran fine except for the aforementioned cursor bug and whenever there was smoke or any other type of particle effects the game would chug along. Now I can run the game in max settings...just need to find a way to increase the resolution.

• Like 1

Antialiasing - FXAA = Off - May or may not cause issues, I recommend off since this is a 'fake' overlay AA and blurs the screen / font.

Thanks. Using your recommendation here made everything look much better. I didn't know what was causing the problem.

And, since you've got the motherboard for it and if you have an adequate CPU heatsink, you should try your hand at overclocking that i7 930. I have mine at 4114MHz (4 cores turbo)/4301MHz (single core turbo) with my uncore at 3740MHz and I've had it at these settings for years, now. The difference is very noticeable, especially if you have an SSD.