Sign in to follow this  
Extreme110

Operation: Megaupload is Gone

I don't know how many of you follow SOPA/PIPA and/or Anonymous, but the recent takedown of Megaupload has brought about an interesting reaction:

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-barrettbrown-sopa-megaupload-241/

Again, I dunno how many of you are following the stories, but I know that a couple TSL mods were uploaded to Megaupload, so you might want to keep any of those safe for the time being, especially if the authors are AFK.

Excellent work by Anonymous. We cannot allow a free internet to be destroyed. It is a threat to everyone from beta restorers to fan sites. I and other political activists have been fighting SOPA and PIPA in any way we can.

• Like 1

I know the government went after the site owners. I wonder if they will be going after each individual that posted stuff up there too.

I know the government went after the site owners. I wonder if they will be going after each individual that posted stuff up there too.

I highly doubt that as that would take too much time and isn't worth it. If the US government went after all of us who used megaupload at one point or used a torrent then almost everyone on the internet would be prosecuted.

What both sides of the aisle Democrats and Republicans do not get is that the internet works best as anarchy without any government interference.

There was a lot of stuff going on this afternoon (for Australians, that is). You might want to read the official statement from Anonymous:

http://pastebin.com/WEydcBVV

Just one more reminder, this isn't about SOPA. This is about the FBI making a (IMO) stupid decision and now having to deal with the repercussions.

There was a lot of stuff going on this afternoon (for Australians, that is). You might want to read the official statement from Anonymous:

http://pastebin.com/WEydcBVV

Just one more reminder, this isn't about SOPA. This is about the FBI making a (IMO) stupid decision and now having to deal with the repercussions.

Anything that is a threat to the internet should put everyone on alert including this decision by the FBI, and the bills SOPA and PIPA. Yes this decision was stupid, from my understanding the FBI has been investigating megaupload since during the Bush presidency so the investigation has been going on for years. This does make me curious of whether or not the FBI will go after other file sharing sites such as mediafire for example though.

• Like 1

This does make me curious of whether or not the FBI will go after other file sharing sites such as mediafire for example though.

I wouldn't put it past them at this point, but the main thing is they have to prove it. From what I've seen, Mediafire has better screening for copywrited content, but it's not clean by a long shot. If you have anything on the internet you haven't got a backup of, I'd download it now and keep it safe.

Shouldn't affect TSLRCM or any of the mods being hosted on lucasforums or Deadly Streams, but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Well, using MegaUpload to get TSLRCM files to other members, this obviously sucks. Good thing they're all saved though...

• Like 1

Well, using MegaUpload to get TSLRCM files to other members, this obviously sucks. Good thing they're all saved though...

If you want to easily get personal files to TSLRCM members I recommend using dropbox which is in fact what K1R uses and it works very well for keeping the files together and getting them to other members.

By the time I heard about Anonymous' attacks, the sites were back up online. Granted MegaUpload's demise is a sad one, but in my experience, they screened for copyrighted content just as much as rapidshare and pretty much any other similar site. Whether that means those sites are all next or not is another story, but my point is that MegaUpload shouldn't be punished for content posted by their users. Would you shut down the post office if people were mailing dvds to one another?

As far as I'm concerned, they should beef up their searches for copyrighted stuff, but it's not really justified to take down a whole site... and especially the day after an Internet blackout. if they keep this up and pull this on Mediafire, then that is going to cause an even bigger outrage because people like myself actually have stuff uploaded there.

But yeah, i'd get as many mods that you can from those filehosting sites and upload them elsewhere. I know I had quite a few mods hosted on imagehost.org and when that went down all my link on Holowan Labs were dead.

It's going to be even scarier seeing "cloud" becomes more popular. What if the feds just took down an entire thing of that? You'd lose your HD.

Not if the FBI keeps targeting sites like MegaUpload. It'll be back though - different name, different disguise, but the same concept.

Indeed it shall VP indeed it shall. Although I do commend President Obama for his implied veto threat of SOPA/PIPA he does still want some sort of anti-piracy legislation which is unfortunate as I really don't know how bad the type of legislation he signs into law would be, all I know is it wouldn't be as bad as SOPA/PIPA whatever it is. I don't blame the POTUS for the fall of megaupload but, rather the FBI itself as I have said the investigation into megaupload has been going on since the Bush administration so it seems like the FBI acted on their own.

What's with all of this clearly unconstitutional bullcrap? First blocking web access to protect the interests of certain companies, now they're going to make ISPs acticely monitor their users and hold them responsible for any possible information leaks? This is some horse crap here...

You know what the best part is about all this? Lamar Smith has a copyrighted image on his website for its background.

Lamar Smith breaks copyright law

• Like 1

You know what the best part is about all this? Lamar Smith has a copyrighted image on his website for its background.

Lamar Smith breaks copyright law

Lamar Smith is a hypocrite. At least President Obama came out against SOPA/PIPA and it is my hope that he will come out against this bill if it gains traction. I cannot believe Democrats in congress are supporting internet censorship, as a Democrat myself it makes me want to puke. Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, and all the great Democratic presidents of the past would be appalled. These Democrats supporting internet censorship makes me want to become a independent.

• Like 3