LORD  SPARTAN

UVMap request

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone would have the time, or be kind enough, to export as an image, the UVMaping of plc_datapad.mdl and plc_sevrdarm.mdl (both datapads models).

I have a W.I.P. right here and it would be of great help in the fine tuning stage of this mod. As of right now I can't install 3DS Max or any other 3D software for technical reasons. Of course, I will add the user name in the credits.

Thanks in advance

• Like 3

PLC_SevrdArm is really terribly mapped. Ideally it should be remapped to map the pad to the same texture as PLC_DataPad and the arm to one of the commoner clothes models. In fact I'd just rip the arm off one of those models and replace the original, would be quicker. The same for the pad, you could just swap it out for the standalone pad. The other thing is that PLC_DataPad doesn't have any self-illum for the screen, while PLC_SevrdArm's screen does. All relatively straightforward fixes if you need a hand with them.

Datapad_Placeables_UVs.zip

Edit: Here are the suggested replacement models. The PLC_DataPad model splits the screen out to a separate mesh with self-illum. The PLC_SevrdArm model is completely remade. Now it uses the PLC_DataPad model and texture (and UV mapping), although there's also an alternate version using a different texture variant (plc_datapad02) if you want to make a different animation for it.

Edit 2: Removed the original attachments. See later post.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

PLC_SevrdArm is really terribly mapped. Ideally it should be remapped to map the pad to the same texture as PLC_DataPad and the arm to one of the commoner clothes models. In fact I'd just rip the arm off one of those models and replace the original, would be quicker. The same for the pad, you could just swap it out for the standalone pad. The other thing is that PLC_DataPad doesn't have any self-illum for the screen, while PLC_SevrdArm's screen does. All relatively straightforward fixes if you need a hand with them.

Datapad_Placeables_UVs.zip 98.84 kB · 2 downloads

Edit: Here are the suggested replacement models. The PLC_DataPad model splits the screen out to a separate mesh with self-illum. The PLC_SevrdArm model is completely remade. Now it uses the PLC_DataPad model and texture (and UV mapping), although there's also an alternate version using a different texture variant (plc_datapad02) if you want to make a different animation for it.

Datapad_Placeable_Replacement_Models.zip 38.44 kB · 3 downloads

Datapad_Placeable_plc_sevrdarm_Alternate_Texture.zip 32.12 kB · 3 downloads

Wow, I almost fell off my chair reading this. First of all, a big thank you for pulling this out. I wasn't sure I would get much attention with a datapad. But it's 2023 and everything is HD, 4K and AI upscaled. So I thought it would be cool to have a nice datapad in the Dantooine cutscene.

Also you're right, the severed arm is a mess. That's a fact I've realized the hard way when I tried to adjust the main skin to the severed arm one. There were metal bits on the hand and arm at first try. But I hammered it when making the not so apparent broken screen (which I still need to make it better). So I do want to make different textures for both models. One shiny new with some animations options on the screen display. And a second one with a broken screen and some random damage (since it probably have been dropped on hard surface). With also animations options. I think I will edit my W.I.P. description. I just realized this while writing :whistle:

I should had use a 3D software to inspect it first. But my skills in editing models for KotOR are pretty limited. Besides importing a model, playing with the existant geometry, then exporting, that's it. So I don't know how to modify lightmaps or replacing and rigging models in KotOR. Again a big thank you for remaking this awful model. I will make sure to try it first. Also, rest assured, your name will be in the credits. :)

• Like 2

Just realised I screwed up and accidentally left the vanilla arm mesh in the replacement PLC_SevrdArm model. Deleted that and recompiled the two versions of that. The stump bit on the new arm is pretty half-assed. Maybe I'll look at redoing that. Won't impact the datapad itself though, since that's now broken out to its own texture.

Something else you could do, since the screens are now separate meshes in both for self-illum, is to give them their own unique texture. That way you would be maximising pixel density, since the animated texture would only be the screen itself, not any of the housing/case (the screen is only 1/4-1/3 of the vanilla texture). Let me know if you want to do that.

Also forgot to mention these were compiled for K1. I'm not sure if they get used in TSL.

K1_Datapad_Placeable_Replacement_Models_v2.zip

K1_Datapad_Placeable_plc_sevrdarm_Alternate_Texture_v2.zip

• Like 1

Why is that? It was cool seeing two ripped off arms :lol:

Spoiler

1189470429_StarWarsKnightsOfTheOldRepublicScreenshot2023_09.18-00_05_46_46.png.ca3e0545e6169c8add21e983e360f0b3.png

I can't test it for TSL. I did not installed this game. But both default textures should work since I've decided to use both default UV Mapping references you gave me. So, if the models are not supported. The textures should be and for both options.

But I confirm your model is fully corrected and working :thumbup:

Spoiler

1464757069_StarWarsKnightsOfTheOldRepublicScreenshot2023_09.18-15_56_44_97.png.73aacb78950cb0c03af14dcfaead29ad.png

Eh, you get what you pay for. I did say it was pretty half-assed after all.

Having a look at the screen WIP thread, I was thinking that the hinge (?) cylinder on the datapad could probably stand to get a few more polys to round it off.

Edit: So I started out rounding off that back cylinder, which lead me to just remaking the whole thing:

Datapad_New_Mesh.png.5b14f7ccae5ee382c038b5c92c1e8f0f.png

That necessitated new UVs, so the vanilla texture layout won't work. But on the upside, there's less to fake now with some real geometry. I also split the screen out to its own texture, so you can take advantage of the extra real estate. The severed arm version has its own separate textures. I also fiddled with the stump end of the arm a bit, but there aren't many polys to work with.

Placeable_Datapads_New_Datapad_Model.7z

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Eh, you get what you pay for. I did say it was pretty half-assed after all.

Having a look at the screen WIP thread, I was thinking that the hinge (?) cylinder on the datapad could probably stand to get a few more polys to round it off.

Edit: So I started out rounding off that back cylinder, which lead me to just remaking the whole thing:

Datapad_New_Mesh.png.5b14f7ccae5ee382c038b5c92c1e8f0f.png

That necessitated new UVs, so the vanilla texture layout won't work. But on the upside, there's less to fake now with some real geometry. I also split the screen out to its own texture, so you can take advantage of the extra real estate. The severed arm version has its own separate textures. I also fiddled with the stump end of the arm a bit, but there aren't many polys to work with.

Placeable_Datapads_New_Datapad_Model.7z 250.16 kB · 1 download

Holy... I don't know what to say. I think this project became bigger than what I had in mind. That became a fact :lol:

I will definitely have to test this to see where I'm going at that point. I'm afraid that my texture sampling is not even that high. It was high enough for the old models. I guess I will have to learn more about free A.I. Upscaling textures.

I now remember what I said to myself when I got back at modding this game...  "Start with something small like this datapad. Finish it with the best of your abilities. If people likes it... Keep going. If not... Go back in the shadows" :lol:

I'll do my best to pay hommage to this awesome quality piece of work :thumbsup:

Here's an alternative for the severed arm one with an added glass floater mesh for the cracked screen. The glass mesh has an alpha of 0.75, which may need to be adjusted down to something more like 0.5 or lower. I've provided a placeholder texture from one of those AI generated ones I posted previously.

Alt_Datapad_Severed_Arm_Cracked_Glass.7z

Sorry for the late feedback. I got injured in the lower back last week-end. And I can't sit or stand very long. I should be ready to go back at it in a couple of days. Well I hope so. I did the color mapping of the other model. Just to give me some idea of what I was texturing. It's going well. I'll make a quick test of this new model tomorrow as soon as I can. Thanks again for this update. I will not give up.

• Like 1