LORD  SPARTAN

Animated HQ Datapads

7 hours ago, Salk said:

Oh okay. Got it.

I didn't think the animation needed to be particularly fancy.

You're right, it doesn't need to be fancy. But with the new 3D model, a sloppy pixelated animation would be like putting a 4 year old drawing in a museum. I'm aiming to something short, clear, smooth and nice enough to be seen at any screen resolution.

Of course, Darth Parametric was also right by saying it's just a small object that appears in a cutscene and a couple of times on the ground in some quests. So, it's still early in this project. But I hope to learn enough to add it on some desk or kiosk or something like that. Maybe even in the Ebon Hawk. But right now it's just some wild idea in my head.

19 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

An 8x8 array flipbook at a resolution of 512x512 would only be 64x64 per frame. Not really ideal even on an object that small given the apparent complexity of the image. You'd have to drop the frame count down to something like a 4x4 array to make that work.

I'm happy that you bring that up. It was my first obstacle I've encounter with the animation. I did made animation for a project and I tried to use is as an exemple. But the template was in 8K 60fps. so scaling it down was a ugly nightmare. Not that I couldn't do it. Even with an Ai software I had at work it was horribly pixelated and looking dire at 1024 pixels. So the sample I use for the exemple is just a simple .gif found on internet with 68 frames. So the 8x8 came from there.

I did test the new .txi parameters, but with no availed. The animation is still weird. But it came up to me today. I did encounter something similar with a animate .vtf for another game. The bug was it had many frames repeated for the video I used. I thinking it might be the case here too. I will not promise anything for the next few days. But I'll try to post an update that will not make me ashamed of my results. 

• Like 1

The thing you have to accept with a flipbook is that you are going to have a small number of frames. That's why you need to keep the animation simple, so it will still look decent with a small number of frames and a low framerate.

2 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

The thing you have to accept with a flipbook is that you are going to have a small number of frames. That's why you need to keep the animation simple, so it will still look decent with a small number of frames and a low framerate.

Yes that's what I've realized at the first try. Going from a video to frames can be tricky at higher FPS. That's why I will either use some .gifs on the internet or I will make new animations from scratch but with already calculated numbers of frames. I'm looking at it right now.

Small Update

The last two days I was tinkering with the animation again. I'm still learning how to animate for KotOR. But I didn't expected what I found.

I began resizing and simplifying the animation to a 4x4 grid on a 1024x1024 pixels sheet. But the bug remained. Then I played with the FPS and I couldn't see much change. After many trials, not only I understand better the speed. But it raised a new question... What is the max number for the FPS option?

5 FPS

Spoiler

5FPS.gif.41c3e44d1cd1cc537ec47373abbb1e16.gif

15 FPS

Spoiler

15FPS.gif.bcb0db97849d0737d027b006c9fb3d36.gif

Then I lost power and had to stop again. But I reflected on a way to test it. This image has mostly the answer. I've used it as the base template again. But this time to see how the animation was rolling. It was a bit too fast to notice. But then I made a clip and toned down the speed very low and this is the result.

Spoiler

BasicTest01.gif.8b4d34419aad3e03323831cad7075510.gif

It jumped the second row to the third, then back at the second (1;3;2). I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here. Is it the same thing if I have four rows (1;3;2;4)? So that's why it not plays smooth like this.

I'm using a TGA and a TXI using the same name. But I don't know how I could attached or linked them ase they are. So I did my first TPC and look at that now...

Spoiler

BugFix01.gif.f33ae834caea04997bf8faef7a6fe48d.gif

I guess I should have tried this sooner. Now I can fine tune it and improve it. Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Some test for the broken datapad. The main texture is not ready yet. It needs weathering and dirt on it. So right now it's not the real texture. But I made a new sample for the animation, now that I understand more of the TPC files. There will be more next week.

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest01.gif.7ed7da62cd5cc81b1acb96a1b5c701d3.gif

• Like 1

Before leaving for the weekend I decided to post some tryouts I did today. I can't decide if it would be better to tint the static or not. So here are my tests.

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest02.gif.e1bba30962bd6a460e6035be70febc4e.gif

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest03.gif.13c4a9382f7341404d215e8b1e67ef20.gif

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest04.gif.de20a927d18c492e334390e415870622.gif

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest05.gif.d8f40faeb9bef80935716d4ece63c941.gif

Spoiler

BrokenDatapadTest06.gif.d46e0dc3ffe7d21df300298e6f79820a.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Are these samples using the actual size texture you'd be uploading?

Some of them yes. I'm trying to stay under 2K resolution. Those are 1K with rows of 256 pixels squares for this preview. But some animations don't look too good when I scale them under 512 pixels. 

1 hour ago, Salk said:

In my opinion that one is clearly one that should be in the final version.

Yeah I agree that looks the most suitable for a datapad gripped by a mangled arm. Although it does raise the question of how exactly the player would be able to read any info off it.

Sorry everyone for the hiatus. One of my SSD died and most of the files for this mod and some others where on it. I've lost lots of animation templates and my main datapad texture template. As always, I'm lucky enough in my bad luck to save most of the work. I had a USB drive with the whole game folder on it, waiting to be transferred on my old laptop. So I've recovered many testing files in HD. I almost gave up after the SSD. Took some time to reflect on the situation. PC hardware prices are insane these days. But I found a way to stay fully operational and to go forward. "C'est la vie" as they say. 

So here is some update. It started as a joke in response to DarthParametric coment:

On 11/11/2023 at 1:14 AM, DarthParametric said:

Yeah I agree that looks the most suitable for a datapad gripped by a mangled arm. Although it does raise the question of how exactly the player would be able to read any info off it.

But turns out I can become a mad man when my jokes goes too far. So I literally tried to make the text readable on the screen. A big mistake. Because not many fonts can be read at small resolution. Also, how the hell I was thinking it would be a good idea to make animated text description, when the screen is resting on the ground and you can't really read it either way. Anyway, here's my madness or stupidity in all its glory. 

In game

Spoiler

Datapad2023_12.05-02.gif.6e2a5e685a1a881abe5906c8159a9193.gif

And what I was aiming in my mind.

Spoiler

Pad-06.gif.3adde33acab8e5fd1eba829d46dae882.gif

Maybe when I'll learn more abot what we can do in model placing. I'll try to put it on some broken stone or obelisk so everyone could read the description. But for now I'll just try and finish the texture work.

• Like 1

Sorry about your misfortunes.

I live dreading the day something like that could happen to my hard drive. Anyway, the idea you had was not stupid at all, but perhaps, and it's my humble advice, it's time for wrapping some working version of this? Once it's out and uploaded you will no longer need to fear data loss and you can work on improvements for the next versions.

Personally, I don't think that the Player needs to read the description off the broken datapad in order to make it realistic that the message is delivered in full. The whole thing is completely unrealistic from the very beginning. The Player finds many datapads in the game and there is only a few lines in them. We can assume that there are means available that allow for a partial recovery of the content just the same way as we can assume that the game reports the very small part of content that is of interest for each retrived datapad.

Cheers!

Now do it in Aurebesh.

By the way, I wouldn't say that level of detail doesn't have a place, as long as you are willing to go the extra mile to facilitate it. In other words, create a cutscene where you actually get a chance to show it off. I am doing a vaguely similar sort of thing with comm messages (which hopefully I'll get around to finishing next year some time).

I_Shall_Call_Him_Mini-Carth.jpg.fa585a5e35ea3e6b4175eeb38662a676.jpg

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I was caught with family matters and my friends are making LAN party. So, I will take a break starting right now, until the new year. I will be back and in top shape, January the second.

Furthermore, I understand I'm taking forever doing this mod. But, I'm working to my pace, and I'm learning from this process. Each game has its ways when it comes to modding them. And as I read in this community forums. Lots of new tools and options are now available. New awesome tricks I will have to learn. I will try to get my hands on another 3DS MAX license. My competence with this software are more for architecture. But I'm sure I can do something for KotOR, beside editing the default model and UV Mapping.

It may take me a bit longer, like the rest of the things I'm learning here. But rest assured, I will not leave this project until I'm done with it. And I will post it as soon as it feels ready enough for it.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sith Holocron said:

@LORD SPARTAN Here's a free quality Aurebesh font.

Thanks, I'll will try this one next time.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Salk said:

Sorry about your misfortunes.

I live dreading the day something like that could happen to my hard drive. Anyway, the idea you had was not stupid at all, but perhaps, and it's my humble advice, it's time for wrapping some working version of this? Once it's out and uploaded you will no longer need to fear data loss and you can work on improvements for the next versions.

Indeed, it's a terrible feeling to see your PC BSOD when trying to access a drive. It was one of my M.2 SSD, and it was directly where 1080 Ti SC2 side vent. Getting blown hot air and dust. So it got too hot when doing stuff with many big softwares. I suspect it was not build to endure that kind of abuses. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Salk said:

Personally, I don't think that the Player needs to read the description off the broken datapad in order to make it realistic that the message is delivered in full. The whole thing is completely unrealistic from the very beginning. The Player finds many datapads in the game and there is only a few lines in them. We can assume that there are means available that allow for a partial recovery of the content just the same way as we can assume that the game reports the very small part of content that is of interest for each retrived datapad.

For the first phase... No, it's absolutely not essential to be able to read on a broken or working datapad. But it would be cool if we could. And we all have the right to dream about cool mods for our favorite game. I'm also not there at all for the moment.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, DarthParametric said:

Now do it in Aurebesh.

I did and here's the results

Spoiler

Pad-07.gif.68ae9e0191dd7cfc178eaccfc9880707.gif

Spoiler

Pad-08.gif.1a94638b2413c7497ac6445cbe3450a1.gif

By the way, I wouldn't say that level of detail doesn't have a place, as long as you are willing to go the extra mile to facilitate it. In other words, create a cutscene where you actually get a chance to show it off.

I'm willing. I don't know if I will be able to get there. But it's in my mind. For example, the Twisted Rancor Trio quest has an empty desk near the holograms. It could be placed on the corner of this desk. If I can learn how to do custom placeable in a map like this kind of idea.

I am doing a vaguely similar sort of thing with comm messages (which hopefully I'll get around to finishing next year some time).

Reveal hidden contents

I_Shall_Call_Him_Mini-Carth.jpg.fa585a5e35ea3e6b4175eeb38662a676.jpg

This looks awesome. I didn't know it was possible. I don't know if I will become as good as this. But I will try my best to come up with something. I'll keep an eye for this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LORD SPARTAN said:

I didn't know it was possible

It's entirely possible, as long as you are willing to create custom stunt animations to facilitate it. But you don't necessarily have to make the whole thing from scratch. You can cheat a bit, as I did in that example, by taking an existing idle animation and then just editing the appropriate bits (like the right arm/hand in that case). In your case you could cheat a lot with existing anims. Have a shot from behind the player as they crouch down to pick up the datapad (have a look at Carth crouched down next to Saul on the Leviathan bridge for an example of how to do this). Then do a close-up shot of the player holding the pad where you basically only see the pad and the sides of the hands. That could probably be completely static, just a locked pose, which is pretty simple.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:33 PM, DarthParametric said:

It's entirely possible, as long as you are willing to create custom stunt animations to facilitate it. But you don't necessarily have to make the whole thing from scratch. You can cheat a bit, as I did in that example, by taking an existing idle animation and then just editing the appropriate bits (like the right arm/hand in that case). In your case you could cheat a lot with existing anims. Have a shot from behind the player as they crouch down to pick up the datapad (have a look at Carth crouched down next to Saul on the Leviathan bridge for an example of how to do this). Then do a close-up shot of the player holding the pad where you basically only see the pad and the sides of the hands. That could probably be completely static, just a locked pose, which is pretty simple.

Just what you said made me thinker about this

MERRY CHRYSLER EVERYONE!!!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm still alive as this project. I just encountered some personal difficulties. Now I'm moving on.

I did look out for a way to manipulate the cutscene to incorporate the models in it. I also lost myself along the way. So I've put this aside for the moment.

It will not a big glorious update. But still...

The modded OG

Spoiler

2024_02_18_OG_01.gif.ac789b9447bf4dfcee8888e0ed30b61e.gif

The new HD mostly done. But I found out I need to touch up some parts.

Spoiler

2024_02_18_HD_01.gif.f4c9998f56e9da77d1c0737f80cd2ee6.gif

With the not done arm version. I'm working on adding dirt and scratches on the metal. Making an HD custom textures for the arm with an option of gore and no gore.

Spoiler

2024_02_18_HD_ARM_01.gif.9a2ccd0380d5e8b660a145c5e960dafe.gif

On 2/15/2024 at 8:15 PM, Sith Holocron said:

@LORD SPARTAN: Will you be redoing the icons for the datapads to accompany the new models?

It is in the plans. But I don't know when I will add them. Will the icons be animated? I have no idea if it's in the possibilities. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Hrm, that looks like the first arm. Didn't I give you a better version of that with a slightly less half-assed stump end?

That's the one with the broken glass. That's the last one I've got.

Spoiler

2024_02_18_HD_ARM.BROKEN.GLASS_01.gif.a0bd0d03886db915d11a77b0d0a7bfe3.gif