LordRevan619

swkotor k1 community patch problem

so i downloaded the k1 community patch but when it finishes the install it come up with an error saying cannot create file access denied, does anyone know a fix?

Screenshot (9).png

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

This is a permissions issue, because %AppData% is a higher level directory and needs administrator privileges to write there.

Try running the TSLPatcher for that mod as an administrator. If that doesn't solve the issue, double check that your target folder didn't somehow get set to Read-Only. This happens sometimes, because Windows is helpful and cares about you 🙄

It's more likely the issue is the destination directory (temp directories are intended to be written to by anything). The moral of the story is stop installing stuff in Program Files. Windows does restrict access to that.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn
21 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

It's more likely the issue is the destination directory (temp directories are intended to be written to by anything). The moral of the story is stop installing stuff in Program Files. Windows does restrict access to that.

This is more the case than what I said, but they are related. Your point is worth re-iterating - don't do that. That folder is set to Read-Only (externally) by the system by default, and requires administrator interaction to proceed. TSLPatcher doesn't work that way, so this fails.

The computer always has at least one physical storage drive, whether it be solid state or spinner. Some of us add more drives to our computer, because C:\ can become clogged up if you have lots of stuff on there, making finding things more work than they should be. Windows, despite being an absolute clown show, does allow for moving folders to different locations. So, if you download stuff constantly like I do, it might be great to have your sytem Downloads folder on another drive.

This was not directly on-topic, but it is leading there. Take this principal further, and take some control of your PC. Why? It will save you lots of time if you have a problem with Windows in the future, and need to either repair or nuke it and reinstall entirely.

So, how does this pertain to this issue?

Make a Games folder on your drive. Move all of your games from Steam, GOG, Origin, whatever, to there. Run Steam, it will complain that everything is lost. Tell Steam to find it, and it goes, "Oh gosh, how neat I will reinstall now." Then it blinks, and reinstall is done because it was always there. Same with GOG and Origin.

Then, in your client settings, tell Steam/whatever to ask you where to install things. Then this is never an issue again.

When you inevitably have to nuke your Windows install because of something stupid that somebody did, your Games folder will be waiting for you in Windows.old folder. And.... you can then move that folder back to the main directory... and once you reinstall your game clients you can have them find that folder again.... and?

PROFIT

edit -

23 hours ago, Revanbeta50 said:

glenn your such a sith ahahha

The living Force is a mysterious thing. Don't be fooled into games of absolutes. There is good and evil in the world, no doubt, and there are people that stay closer to one than the other. If only it were so simple to classify people :)

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Take a room full of people that actually know me.

Make it a room full of only people that know me.

You will get the maximum range in opinions. I am a good person with rough edges everywhere and self-control is my weakness. I have badass moments, and then some are just bad.

Thanks for the kindness!

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

So, this has become a problem for another user here, @UnflappableWoppy, and probably others as well.

What is going on? Well, for Steam users, there is an inconvenience built into default installations of the client, which then causes problems for games that we like to mod. What is this inconvenience? When Steam is allowed to install itself to default location, it goes into Program Files(x86). That folder, despite being what was always used in the past for most installations of software, is a tricky place for Windows 10 now. It is deeper than I will go into in this post, partially because I don't really fully understand all of it, but it comes down to security of the OS.

So... how do we fix it? There are several ways, and depending on your system configuration you will have to choose the best approach for you.

1. If you have a computer with only one drive, you should install Steam into a different location. This is not horribly complicated, you just have to choose a place during installation instead of allowing the installer to use the default. In this case, I would create a folder called Games on the root of C drive. In that folder, I would create a folder called Steam. When I run Steam installer, I then choose that folder to install Steam to, and from then on all games will be installed into a subfolder of that location and we should be good to go.

2. If you have multiple drives, or partitioned your C drive, you can let Steam install to Program Files(x86) if you like... I still prefer not too, since it doesn't hurt Steam not being in that folder. But it is an option. You will then need to create a folder on the drive where you want your library to go, and then use Steam/Settings/Downloads and choose "Steam Library Folders". Then find your newly created folder through the browse function and select it. After doing this, when you go to install a game, your two (or more) locations will show up in the dropdown box as locations for your game to be installed.

Why do I prefer to have Steam installed outside of Program Files? Well, I don't really, but the games have to be. This way, if something goes to hell with my Windows install, I can nuke it, start fresh, and then just point my new install of Steam on that new install of Windows, to look for my games by using the same Steam Library Folder button from settings mentioned in step 2. Instead of having to spend hours of time and data reinstalling your library, Steam will just verify game files and you will be back up to speed just like that.

I would prefer that I could install Steam in Program Files(x86) as it likes to do, and then have a second place on my C drive to install games to. However, the Steam client is designed to only allow one SteamLibrary per drive letter. This is a dumb and arbitrary restriction as far as I can tell, and there are workarounds for it that work somewhat... but I found it too much of a pain. The reason I wish I could do this, is that I do want Steam to be uninstalled when Windows is uninstalled. But, it is a meaningless dab of autism in my case, I just want things the way I want them sometimes... you still have to "reinstall" Steam regardless of whether your C:\Games\Steam folder has the full install already in there or not, because a new Windows install is blind to that and the registry is clean and empty.

So, sorry for a long post that maybe 3 people will find helpful or interesting in any way. But, this does hopefully explain things at a level of detail that the average user can understand and make use of.

* There is also the ability within the Steam client, to "move" install locations. This has worked fine for me in the past, but when in doubt it is always best to just start over.

** This post is not advocating that you nuke your current Steam installation. It is recommending that you have at least one Library folder outside of Program Files (x86), for games like KotOR/TSL.

*** Disclosure: My current system setup on C has three folders within Games - Origin Games, GOG Games, and Steam. The first two are just folders of games on those clients, the Steam folder is the entire Steam installation. This is because I have a fast M2 boot drive with plenty of space, but Steam won't allow me to have two Libraries on the same drive without trickery. I have another SATA SSD in my PC, called D, where I have another SteamLibrary folder. This is where KotOR, TSL, and most older games are stored. They could all be in the C drive location, but I save space on that drive for games that really need the speed of the drive - games like Cyberpunk 2077 definitely benefit from faster drives. I would download more TBs of storage, but I already downloaded all of the RAM off the internet. (this last sentence, is a joke.)